New DACs High End Munich 2023

I am now searching for a new DAC to replace my Oppo UDP-205 and High End Munich 2023 was the event I was waiting for to hear about new announcements.

I know that Auralic and Total DAC have introduced new DACs and Primare has new modules. Anyone hear any other DACs being released in the next 2-3 months?

128x128milpai

Showing 5 responses by yyzsantabarbara

@ja_kub_sz  How does the Gustard R26 compare to the Musatec 005. I have owned the 005 and considered it a very smooth and detailed DAC. 

The best DAC I have owned is the Schitt Yggi+ LESS IS MORE version that I recently got. I am using a Sonore OpticalRendu to stream USB via fibre, so that is a big part of it.

I like the Yiggi+ over my recently sold Lumin X1 and Musetec 005. I like both DACs via fibre a lot, but I think the Yiggi sounds a bit better on my 2-channel and headphones. At $2300 I am rather pumped about this.

@jjss49 The Musetec 005 is a very smooth and slightly warm DAC. It was perfect when I was using my RAAL SR1a phones with my 2-channel amps. The RAAL is bright. My speakers were also neutral so the 005 did work well there too.

When I got the RAAL VM-1a tube headphone amp the 005 was a bad match. The VM-1a took things to a 10/10 and dropped what I thought was previously great to about a 8/10.

The Musetec left the scene to be replaced by the Benchmark DAC3B. That DAC is not as good as the 005 on my 2-channel but it was really good with the VM-1a. The brighter DAC3B worked better over the smoother 005.

I got a used Lumin X1 at a great price and immediately loved it. It was not as smooth as the 005 nor as bright as the DAC3B. So, I thought spending more on a DAC sort of makes sense. I was always thinking that there is too much diminishing returns with DACs and price. The X1 made me change my mind. The fibre streaming on the X1 also had a great deal to do with the sound. The only issue with the X1 I had was the perception of a slight roll off on the top end. You can hear all of this with the VM-1a amp.

I got the Yggi+ LESS IS MORE based on reviews I read. I also wanted a DAC ASAP and Schiit is very close by.

I was expecting the Schitt to be in the class of the Benchmark DAC3B and maybe the 005. The Yggi+ does not have the brightness of the DAC3B. It is not slightly rolled off on top as the X1. It is not overly smooth as the 005 or warm. It just plays music without any offending attributes. This is the first DAC where I thought this way.

I am using a Sonore OpticalRendu to stream into the Yggi+. The oR is actually preferred by me to the livelier X1’s streamer. Though I think my Playback Designs Stream-IF is going to be even better via PLink (when I replace the DAC3B with a PD DAC). The SPDIF stream on the Stream-IF is amazing.

I ended up trading in my Lumin X1 for $3K more than I paid and thus was able to buy the amazing Yamaha NS5000 speaker. I need a DAC for that system too, I am thinking of another LESS IS MORE or the Playback Designs DACs.

As for the LRS+ and sub I am using that with the LESS IS MORE and a PeachTree GAN400 amp. I am debating returning the GAN400 it to waste more money on an amp, but I really have no complaints with the GAN400. The preamp is a Holo Serene, which is amazing.

@ddafoe That makes sense. I was lucky that I liked the cheaper DAC more than the Lumin X1. I definitely like it more on the RAAL SR1a and VM-1a amp. On my 2-channel I think it is less of a difference.  A lot of this is the synergy with the gear you have. 

I will try the Yggi+ on my Yamaha NS5000 on Sunday. It has become my best system and the plan is to upgrade the DAC on that system. The Yggi+ will take stage in that system until I get an amp for the office. I returned my PeachTree GAN400 on Friday. If I did not hang around A'gon I would have kept it.