Mofi Sourcepoint 888?

Any OWNER feedback on these?

The bookshelves were a flavor of the month a few years ago.

Like everything else, the bookshelves are coming down in price. I see these 888’s as the next bargain in a couple of years?

MoFi Electronics SourcePoint 888 Floorstanding Speakers [Pair]

At $5K...just another nice speaker. When these are blown out at close to 1/2-WIN!

What’s with that color choice for the speaker grill on the walnut finish?

Are they the $10K sleeper?

tablejockey

They're almost cheap! I bet they're pretty good too, with those bass drivers freeing the concentric from bass duties.

I’ve seen great reports on these from shows (AXPONA etc) by Absolute Sound, Stereophile and others, saying they are another home run by Andrew Jones, and were some of the best speakers for the money at the recent shows. Reports say the bass in particular is excellent, and of course it has the concentric tweeter.

Makes me interested enough to audition them though no dealers in Seattle area have them yet, AFAIK.

"If he releases a 10-10-10 or a 12-12-10, i'll buy it. I like em big."

deep_333-

A 10/12 would get my attention.

I see these 888's being a killer deal in 3-4 years due to low sales.

Just like the AJ Elac Adante-dealers were blowing them out 1/2 price.

deep_333-

A 10/12 would get my attention.

I see these 888’s being a killer deal in 3-4 years due to low sales.

Just like the AJ Elac Adante-dealers were blowing them out 1/2 price.

I have the adante series in a rig. Expensive fab/priced too low/hard to make money. It was a misunderstood hifi speaker that the avg home theater dude was picking up and putting on receivers..... large/imposing and the home theater wives complained (returned)....i.e, full potential never got realized by such dudes. Hifi brand name snobs thought the name "elac" was beneath them

Long story short, i’ll take a coupled cavity clean bass TAD for 5k prices on the blow out sale. Tech advanced HIFI misunderstandings are great for my wallet.

They look like a total steal at the current price. I would imagine a line is forming.

I think the crossover to the woofer is 120hz so it would almost be like adding a small sub to the source point 8. Might be a waste of money however if someone is already into using subs with the source point bookshelf speakers.

Erin’s Audio corner requested to buy a pair. I would expect to see full kipple measurements in the near future. I know this crowd “loves” measurements lol. I want both measurements and subjective opinions…. As queen says “I want it all and I want it now” lol.

Listened long at AXPONA and they did many things impressively except for the upper midrange lower treble dry, brash flavor.  Turns out to be present in the entire line.  Possibly due to the amplification but I heard what I heard.  

In the $5K range The SVS Ultra Evolution Pinnacle and Revival Audio Atatante 5 sounded better and especially more refined.  I would live with either over the SP 8888. 

Tone wise the SP8s are my favorite with more warmth and less brashness.   

The SVS had true sub bass and was one of my show favorites.  

Listened long at AXPONA and they did many things impressively except for the upper midrange lower treble dry, brash flavor.  Turns out to be present in the entire line.  Possibly due to the amplification but I heard what I heard.  

The Class D naked emperor, hifirose must have struck again (that Mofi is a distributor for). I heard it on some luscious class A/AB and it was juicy and chocolatey.

"did many things impressively except for the upper midrange lower treble dry, brash flavor."

That’s not so good! What were they driven with, @avanti1960 ?

@deep_333 , I still want to hear them with some good class A/B gear. 

@patrickdowns

As deep mentioned, the HiFi Rose Integrated RA180.

Definitely listen with another amp before you buy.  

I can hear the issue with this video- listen with a good set of headphones.  

MoFi SourcePoint 888 Speakers at AXPONA 2024 (youtube.com) 

That being said the SVS Ultra Evolution Pinnacles were being driven by an Emotiva XPA-2 Gen3 (only $1300) and sounded smooth, unfatiguing and powerful ! 

Midrange glare is the worst trait in a speaker. It will be interesting to hear opinions with other front ends. 

"they did many things impressively except for the upper midrange lower treble dry, brash flavor. "

Just like bookshelves, always system dependent.

Everyone's "Goldilocks" setup will  be different.

Midrange glare is the worst trait in a speaker. It will be interesting to hear opinions with other front ends.

It is NOT midrange glare...this speaker can throw an unusual amount of midrange detail at you for this price (not fake detail), the likes of which you only start to hear in pricier TADs, etc... i.e. the type of speaker that starts to reveal the goofiness of Class D naked emperors. In other words, go with meatheaded class A/AB for this speaker. I heard it with older big Levinsons.

Many lackluster manufacturers with lackluster drivers use the oldest trick in the book to fool the hifi enthusiast into thinking that their speaker is very detailed! (just tilt the top end up a bit, and the dude will think his speaker is detailed, whoop di doo). The Class D naked emperors might stay unexposed when such trickery is deployed.

This speaker is not one of those "fake detail" speakers.

IMO, even the bookshelf speaker should have been a 3 way "larger" bookshelf with an additional bass driver (88 not 8)...