I’m about to push the button to get 2 SVS 3000 micros to add to ATC SCM40s.

Anyone want to talk me out of it?

128x128m669326

The SB1000 Pro is only a little bigger, goes lower, and is cheaper if you can deal with its larger size.  That’s all I got. 

Congrats m669326, please do a follow up once you have them installed.

I've got a pair in stereo and they are a great little sub, not the best for a deep frequency dive but for 98% of music they do great.

Installed one micro in a smaller 2 channel set up in the living room. That little thing kicks some serious beans. 

Thanks, y’all. 

They’re coming on Saturday. Then I’ll tinker incessantly for the rest of my life.

My wife resents deep frequency dives. She likes small boxes. She’s indifferent to my fascination with sound. I like her anyway.

Congrats!  I’m sure you’re gonna be thrilled.  Please follow up with impressions if you could.  BTW, SVS has excellent customer service so you might want to describe your room to them and they’ll probably cut down your tinker time considerably with some helpful tips — that’s what I’d do.  Once you get them dialed in let your wife listen to a good recording and while it’s playing turn the subs off and look at her reaction.  She might end up really loving those small boxes.  And if she cuts you some slack with this audio silliness I’d say you got a good one and a keeper.  Love your speakers BTW.  Are they version 1 or 2, and what amp are you driving them with?

Version two. I’ve got an older Musical Fidelity a 308 integrated amp, and recently introduced a Moon Mind 2 streamer and a Denifrips Pontus 2. I think the subs will finish things off for me, but you never know when a future audio itch needs scratching, do you?

Anyway, having started modestly just a few years ago, I think I have great-sounding compatible components now.

Excellent stuff, and I totally agree the subs will bring you to a level you never knew was there — probably about the best absolute upgrade you could make.  Of course, there’s always power conditioning, power cables, interconnects, digital and erhernet IC, room treatments, etc.  It never ends, but I have a feeling you know that and should’ve never said anything will “finish things off” for you.  Silly person.  All you did was upset the audio Gods who will now strike down on you with furious anger and take even more $$$ from you.  Deep down you know I’m right. 

Oh my God, I guess the audio gods take their cue from the golf gods. I had no idea.

I am now saying quite loudly that I will never finish off my system and I will always want to buy more and more and more and more. What I need to do is to develop an allergy to cables and room treatments. 

SVS doesn’t get enough love in the audiophile world.  Nice choice of subs. I use two SB1000 Pros and like that they can do both low level or high level connections.  I also really like that you can dial them in from the listening seat via the app.  I’m sure I’ll swap them out at some point for REL just to see if they live up to the hype, but the SVS sound great in my system.

Just bought an SB3000 for about a week now. It’s fantastic after integrating it it’s wonderful!

Bent 

I was looking at their scratch and dent page yesterday fantasizing about just such a purchase. Hope it works out for you 

If you buy two subs from the outlet page, there’s a code to get a 5% discount.

Congratulations @m669326 

I hope they make you and you better half very happy.

Just curious, are going to use them just for music or HT or both?

my motivation is music, but the TV is routed through the amp and the speakers, so we’ll see what happens there. As I said before, my wife doesn’t like low rumbling and big explosions sounds and such, so it could be that we will turn them off when we watch movies. I have a feeling that she thinks she doesn’t like that, but  when she hears things through the subs, she’ll realize that there’s a good version of those lower frequencies that she’s never experienced. We will see. 

A question to posters on this thread: in what order did you play around with the variables in order to integrate? I’ve got a line on a couple of things to do right away, and then after that it’s a mystery to me about what to do on the SVS app to get the sound dialed in. 

The first thing I did was use REW and measured several places in my room to find the proper placement. Then I did the same with the second one to get them both to cover what they could at my listening chair.

Next, in regards to the app settings, I started with the cross over in order to meld them with my towers, adjusted the volume level (this is a personal taste) and left the phase settings alone. Phase can be adjusted based on several factors and its a rabbit hole I never understood but its based on placement (side wall, back wall) and frequency compared to your mains. I hope someone can give you a better explanation in simple terms incase you want to tackle it. I turned off all the other enhancements (EQ, room gain etc.) because it made them boomy and muddy (again, personal preference). The only thing I use the app for now is the volume once and a while.

I have two 3000 Micros which I use in my Home Theater II (in I, I have two SB1600 Ultras). They are limited in the lower bass (below 32Hz) region, but they do punch above their weight class (i.e., for 8" cones). One BIG advantage they have is due to their size; placement is easy, which makes addressing null spots easier than with the "big guys".

Congrats OP! I use two SVS SB-4000 in my room, and I influenced a friend to get a pair of the SB-3000 micro. He has a smaller room than mine, and he’s quite happy with them. My favorite feature is the ability to tweak phase by degree from the mobile app in my listening chair (or any of the other settings as well). The app experience makes it a delight to tweak and further integrate the units into the room. 

You can just turn down the volume of the subs a bit on TV / movie nights... no need to rattle the dinnerware... and still get that bit of extra kick.  

Most people turn their subs up too high so they can "hear" them, but the best sub tuning is "you don't even know it's there, until you turn it off."  

Use restraint, and maybe a bit of psychology by not even pointing them out to your wife... discreet is good.

Well, it's done and that works.  I would have moved to the ATC SCM 49A speakers for I believe a better outcome.   I ran the active for some years and they are shockingly good and provide better bass control.  Enjoy the outcome.

A few months ago I picked up two SVS SB2000 pros.  Integration was pretty easy. I’m really pleased with the performance. 

When you used the SVS app to set them up, does it adjust both of them together or do you have to do them separately and get them to match?

OP here. The subs arrived today and so far so good. I’ve been  fiddling  for an hour or two, but most of the adjustments don’t seem to make much difference one way or the other, other than the low crossover point and the volume.

My system definitely sounds fuller and richer, but I wish the lower bass notes were crisper and more well formed. Probably, I need to do more fiddling to get that, or perhaps it’s just the nature of my room and where I need to put the subs.

Anyway, there’s my report.

Subs do take time to break in, you may need to use bass traps to get the bass just the way you want:

Thanks for reminding me about the break-in period. In my excitement over new gear, i forget several important things, such as this and turning off my Loki.

Unfortunately, there is absolutely nowhere for the subs to be besides where they are--peeking out from behind the mains. If I were single... maybe, maybe not. It's a weird, open space.

@m669326 I usually adjust one sub at a time. And yes, be patient with break in  

How big is your room?

I would say that if you also want optimal performance, good quality power cables and subwoofer interconnects can make a profound difference in the speed and definition of the bass. 

I would mostly  call it  a large room with a vaulted ceiling, but one of the speakers has a short throw to the glass wall while the other goes out into a lot more space. There’s seven corners in the main part

with a hallway going off one end  and a  stairway going off beside one of the speakers. It is.  an open floor plan to a kitchen that has two doors to other rooms that are open. There’s a variety of furniture and stuff to break up waves. Only two short walls even  have space for pictures on the walls or speakers since all the other parts of the room are floor to ceiling glass. All in all, I consider it to be a difficult room, but there are no right angles or places for waves to bounce and each other head on, so I suppose that’s good. 

I’d be interested in anyone’s point of view.  about my room from an acoustic or a subwoofer angle.

OK, try facing the subs toward a wall with about a 3 to 4 inch gap. There are room treatment panels that are portable as well. I use one in an open doorway in the back of the room and move it out of the doorway when not listening. 

The other thing to try is the DSPeaker 8033II sub equalizer which would help dial it in. Give the subs time to break in before changing anything though.

https://auralex.com/shop/portable/

Since these are side firing subs, aiming one side at the wall would mean the other would be firing toward the listening position. Is that what you mean?

@m669326 Did you buy your SVS Micros new? Had your room size been mentioned or if guidance was sought on the appropriate subwoofer for the room, I would have advised to go with SVS’ larger offerings. The 3000 Micro have good specs for their size, but they are intended for use in small and medium sized rooms at best. With a larger room, especially with vaulted ceilings which add to the cubic volume, it will require more out of subs to charge the room. My room is 18x23 with a slanted ceiling up to 18’ high. It is also open to another room adjacent. I owned a pair of the SB-3000 (not micro) and they could not perform with authority. I returned them in a week’s time and upgraded to the SB-4000. What a huge difference. Just some food for thought if you bought direct from SVS. At least their return and exchange policy are exceptional. 

Yes, try one driver facing the wall, the other firing into the room,

unfortunately, anything bigger would require rearranging furniture and switching wives. I had hoped that adding two of these would make a big difference. We don’t need the explosions and rumblings from movies, we’re just looking for lower frequencies in music. Once they break in, we will see…

I talked to SVS and my wife. The former convinced me to upgrade to 2 SB3000s because of my large, complex room. The latter begrudgingly agreed to an experiment with the bigger speakers, reserving veto power. The best place to put them would entail moving a table 4 inches into the breadth of a doorway,. That was a firm no. I'll figure it all out when they get here.

Congrats, and I’d buy the wife some flowers for being such a good sport. 

your marriage is doomed, whichever way I look at it. She clearly stands between you and life in the World of mysteriously good-sounding gear