I'm 14 in a detached garage converted into a teenage playground with a waterbed, blacklights, SS Japanese silver behemoths,  and speakers hanging inside nets. Admit it you were there once. Anyone have thoughts on the nets as a viable option for speakers? (Can't believe I remember this....pretty hazy in that garage.) Joe
jpwarren58
Anyone have thoughts on the nets as a viable option for speakers?

Nets can make for an excellent means to suspend speakers! Getting them exactly the same height and angle would be the problem. The very best system I have heard in the 80's had speakers hanging from chains having adjustable height and angle. The speakers sounded wide open that way. I spoke with Disk Sequerra over the phone about how his Met 7ll’s sounded better hung from chains. He then told me his own big speakers (he was looking at while speaking to me) were also suspended by chains. It opens up the bottom end and over all sound for some reason.
OP here.
Loved the memory lane excursions.
As for nets I would think they would do a great job with the vibration and improving isolation. Getting the measurements right would be a pia.  Not to mention SWMBO. 
Joe
I was in Vietnam until February of 73. Either there or in Thailand (where the Air Force sent me next) I ordered an AR receiver, a pair of AR2ax speakers, a Dual 1229 turntable and Shure V15 cartridge. Various vendors offered "deals" to service members, so supposedly I got a good price. Had it all sent home to Denver and lived with that system for a number of years. Used to read Stereo Review religiously.
Bic Venturi Formula 6’s..
Large and not so accurate but perfect for Led Zeppelin..
'73 was the year I bought my first "big" system: Magneplanar Tympani T-I loudspeakers, ARC electronics, Thorens/SME/Decca record player, Revox A77. My dealer was Walter Davies, now known for his excellent LAST record, tape, and CD maintenance products.
1973. My friend had this album, really different but really, really good. For some reason they cheaped out on the cover, just plain black with this triangle and a rainbow. Then when you open it up, same thing, only a squiggly line. Never could figure that one out. But there was a heartbeat, and one guy when he got stoned enough he swore it was all tied in, an EKG or something, nobody at that age is afraid of dying, and you run and you run. Maybe got a little too stoned myself, now what was the name ...?
1973: The genesis point of my audiophile odyssey. Started with a Panasonic receiver with a fish eye tuning dial and plastic, trapezoidal single driver speakers. Also, had a BSR changer (4800?) with a ceramic cartridge. This system was a ubiquitous feature of every dentist's office back in the day. Listening to WDAS FM in Philly led to my fixation on Stevie Wonder, Ohio Players, Graham Central Station and War. Stones, Santana, Hendrix and Yes were like sonic heroin.
Then, I got a pair of BIC formula 1s, mounted them venturi side up in the corners of my room and literally shook the rafters. That launched the equipment side of the obsession that continues to this day.
1973 one year out of High School.
Living in my Folks’ basement.
Waterbead, Marantz 2270, Rectilinear 3s, Technics TT.
Smoke, women, music good times.
a friend had a pair of Bose 901s suspended from ceiling driven by McIntosh. I was astounded by the sound.
@Millercarbon...headed to Seattle in September. Love the area and the stores 😉
Let's face it, in 1973 "Hi-Fi" translated into bone crushing bass. (Had the term "audiophile" even been coined?) My approach, my first year after passing the Bar, was to trade my AR3's for a pair of Tannoys the size of small refrigerators and a massive McIntosh power amp tweaked with an equalizer set with the ubiquitous U-curve.
I was in the Peace Corps in a remote town in Ethiopia with no electricity, running (or potable) water, medical service or regular transportation (a DC3 would occasionally come and land on an open field).  The inside walls of my house were sprayed with DDT to prevent malaria-carrying mosquitoes, a bit of a devil's bargain.  But I had a small battery powered cassette player that was my musical salvation.  Ten years later and settled back in the U.S. the system-building started in earnest, and now, 37 years later, it sounds fabulous!
Jim Heckman
Lived on Pennsylvania Ave. NW Wash., DC, in between jobs at Goddard Space Flight Center. Chilling and binge watching Watergate hearings. 🤥
In 1973, I was in my last tour of Vietnam, with some time in Laos and Thailand thrown in for good measure!
In 1968 I was on a career path to become an F-105 pilot in Vietnam. I was even in ground school in AF ROTC. But it was not my destiny.
Rogers LS3/5A hanging from ceiling, used Dynaco preamp and amp with Van A mods, technics 1200 turntable spinning mobile fidelity Year Of The Cat late at night on a hot thick August night with windows open. Life was great.

Living in a Central Texas cow town; the closest audio of any kind was Radio Shack. Does anybody remember- Good, Better and Best in there catalogs. I had a pair of Optimus 5's hanging in macromae hangers in the corners of my room. Ahh; Boston - More than a feeling.
Sure is a lot of drug use in this forum!  Or "was" I suppose. I missed all the fun, not being old enough. I think "Year of the Cat" was a few years later btw.
Junior in high school thankful the war was ending.   My lottery number made me eligible for the draft.  Had basic stereo.   Don't remember the year, but I was the first one to purchase Framton Comes Alive on 8 track in our small rown.
Graduated HS. listening to Steely Dan, The Who, Jethro Tull, Genesis, Ten Years After, Pink Floyd, Beach Boys on my Dual 1218, Panasonic receiver and Jenson 3-ways with 12 inch woofers. Had a console style cassette deck..forget the manufacturer. Got that system in 72...thanks to a Summer job, making a whopping $2.25/hr.
No black lights or posters...went through that stage at 13-14.
That system lasted until 79 when I got a B&O turntable, Nakamichi 530 receiver, some fancy $600 Yamaha cassette deck and Maggie SMG's.
1973 I was still dropping a deuce in my cotton diapers.

Great thread by the way!

First stereo I remember was my fathers reel to reel and 8 track player and turntable, a Sears Mca series w an old Ortofon cart. Played a lot of John Denver, Beatles, Waylon & Willie, some odd grand funk, mahavishnu orchestra, The Who, other stuff!

Then I heard an old thin lizzy LP, ....

anyway, I miss the feelings I had listening to old mom n dads tunes

had a black light zeppelin poster, you know those black felt ones w bright colors.     I miss those days. To be young and do it all over with what we know now!
1973 I was delivering newspapers on my bicycle, then riding it to Radio Shack to buy my first stereo, which when lying on the floor using speakers like headphones I could just about get Nilsson Jump Into the Fire to sound like real drums.

There was one party I can only remember as some kind of haze of people scrunched in so tight you could hardly drink your beer without spilling and a stereo screeching out some really loud rock that might have been Rush except I think this was a year or two before Fly By Night so either it was another band or another year but either way there was way way way to many crowded into that room!😂😂Which the beer and the noise and the sweat and cheap perfume and a pungent smoke that I don't think was a cigarette made it all strangely somehow... perfect.
Post removed 
Boone’s Farm Strawberry Hill, Mateus bottles with candles (girls only), incense, black light posters, fake ID, double album covers for separating seeds, and head shops. Good times!
I was busy putting “
bad electrons “ into the old Mans Mc tube system w big Bozaks. Bad electrons can be conjured with blue plasma....

I had my own Ford / Philco tube am / FM box for FM rock n roll “ streaming “...
@john_g --. My father in law was also in Vietnam and donated his Coral 200s for me as a refurb project. Still in the midst of refurb, but apparently many of those stationed bought thus model at their PXs
My birth year. Earliest audiophile memory is our C28 and 2125 meters connected to a pair of ADS 910’s still in the family. Great vinyl collection and a MR74 tuner that would pull in WPLJ, Z100 and all the stations that could rock the house. My older sister always had club connections so early memories of Studio 54 and the Palladium when I was way too young to be allowed. Never lost that love of crowds. Still enjoy dance music electronica and rhythmic slamming bass. You can take the kid out of Jersey but you can’t take Jersey out of the kid.
We even made a disco ball out of a Styrofoam sphere and pieces of a broken mirror glued all over it, suspended from a giant rubberband, and illuminated by three flashlights. Mid-teen stoner ingenuity! Cranking out a Pioneer SX828, stacked Advents, Dual turntable playing GD, Allman Bros, the Band (hey 1973 was Watkins Glen!), the Who, and even Kraftwerk deep into the umpteenth bowl. Yikes!
By 73' too many maimed, dead, and unknowingly dying friends. "What ever you do, don't go" was a mantra I heard by all those who did return.
The Draft would be ending in just a few months ending seven years of life underground with a lifetime ahead.

In 1967 KJAZ and Tom Donahue's show between 6pm - 6am on KMPX SF Bay Area FM necessity was met with a Fisher receiver and a Benjamin Miracord/Shure TT. STEREO!