Used PS Audio BHK 300 monoblock or (2) new benchmark ahb2 bridged?

Would appreciate opinions - thanks in advance

listen to rock, jazz, classical at normal levels but appreciate headroom for transients

Listen to vinyl and computer-based files equally

basis 2200, transfiguration phoenix, bryston bda-3, PS audio stellar phono pre, Red Rose Revelation 1 tower speakers, 14x20 room

richardnyc

Thanks for the response! Yes there are a few used ones out there but nobody seems to want to let them go for much less than new!

Gold Note PA-10 in Bridged Mode. GaN Class A amplifiers that are awesome. I am using as SPL Phonitor 2 Reference pre-amp and Sonner Legato Duo and I mostly listen to Jazz, Blues, Classical. I also have the SPL Phonos phono pre. 

Benchmark makes great electronics that are transparent and are great for studio use. They measure well too. But that doesn’t translate to being the right fit in a home audio system. I’ve owned few benchmark DACs over the years and they never stuck around for too long including the latest DAC 3 HGC. I can totally see how these components can serve well in a studio environment but to me they sound slightly clinical and cold.
I never auditioned Benchmark amps so I’m just going out on a limb here to assume their objective was the same as with their DACs.

Also, interesting information…Benchmark amp is 11.04" W x 3.88" H x 9.34 " D - Including feet and binding posts and weighs 12.5lbs.
PS Audio BHK amps weigh over 80lbs.

There’s absolutely no such thing as giant killers. There’s no magic. You get what you pair for.

Between the two choices if I had to buy without listening would be the PS Audio BHK Mono Amps. You have a dedicated mono design, tubes, excellent power supplies.

Thanks to you both for the useful suggestions. I guess we've all been going back and forth on the "clinical" vs "musical" debate since hifi began - I'd say I'm somewhere in the middle - I have a feeling the BHK would work well for me but I find the specs on all benchmark equipment quite compelling. Too bad its so tough to compare these things head to head these days...

I've never heard the Benchmark amps but I own a pair of the PS Audio BHK 300's.  I bought them after hearing a friend's Magnepan 3.7s being driven by the D'Agostino S350 amplifier and marveling at how much better his 3.7s sounded than mine.  I can't afford the S350 so I put a search up on Hifishark for the BHK 300's, Pass X350s and Bryston 7Bs.  The BHK 300's were the first that came up at a price I was comfortable with.  I really didn't know what to expect.  I have owned the PS Audio M700 and S300 before and didn't really like those class D amps so I was concerned I might not like the BHK 300s but it turns out they are simply marvelous.  I have used them with Magnepan 3.7s, 20.7s (my current speakers), and Tekton Moabs.  The biggest surprise to me was the fact the BHK 300s sounded better with the Moabs than either the 300B or 2A3 tubes amps that were my favorites before and that had beat out a variety of other solid state and tube amps.  But the BHK 300s really make the Magnepan speakers sing.  Frankly, I can't imagine being unhappy with the BHK 300s at the used pricing.    

@pinwa 

I bought my BHK 300s used about a year ago. I upgraded from the M700s which worked quite well with my Kef Reference 5 spkrs. I have to say the upgrade was significant, I was surprised at the smoothness the amps bought to my system. I have been very happy with them, they will remain in my system for a long time.

Good luck with your choice 

Why not a GaN amp? You can find stock LSA GN 350s for under $2K, then send to Ric Schultz (Tweak Audio) for very reasonably priced upgrades, or there is/was a moded one in Melbourne FL for sale

PS Audio has a good deal on the BHK300 right now so you may want to give them a call to find out what they can do for you.

Ps audio bhk easily over the benchmark. All benchmark products especially their dacs are so bright sounding, goes past cool/analytical sounding. I have the BHK.

First Agon post, so be gentle…

Just bought new AHB2 (after hunting for local used deal for awhile), and paired it with my DAC3 HGC, it’s brought new life to my entire system. I love it. 

Strong, silent, cool-running personality. Gets out of the way and lets the music come through. Breathed new clarity and punch into my PSB Synchrony Ones. I find it very musical, especially with great recordings  I listen to a variety of jazz, blues, pop, rock  

system: Quobuz via fibre/FMC to Lumin U2 mini, AQ Coffee USB to Benchmark DAC3 HGC, 8” XLR to AHB2, Kimber Cable to PSB Syncs. Amp running off dedicated 20A isolated ground line.

Benchmark support is first-class. Rory responds quickly and in detail to emails.  The AHB2 feels solid, bullet-proof. Like the pro gear it is.

Hope this vote encourages you to at least audition the AHB2. Good luck with your new gear!

JAMES

richardnyc

I'll say upfront that I have not owned PSA BHK power amps, but I do have experience with the BHK Preamp, which is lovely sounding. I have a great deal of respect for the late Bascom King and his designs. I do have a pair of AHB2 monoblocks on my 2 channel system and also use AHB2 on my headphone rig with Susvaras, which are difficult to drive. 

I find the AHB2 to be straight down the middle. Not clinical and bright and not smooth and warm. It seems to be the closest thing to the proverbial "wire with gain", and in mono it has gobs of gain. For me, this is perfect. 

In my youth, I worked in analog multitrack studios, 8, 16, & 24. Since then I've gravitated towards finding a neutral baseline, or at least as near as possible given the variability in playback systems. My goal has been to get close to hearing what's there on the recording. Not accuracy with respect to the live performance (which once laid down, is out of our hands), just accuracy in the recording's presentation.

The reason I bring all that up is I find the AHB2 to be a good baseline, neutral element in the chain. Of course, not all recordings shine in this neutral space. But surprisingly, I find the majority do. For those recordings that need a little help, or to suit my mood, I prefer to apply sweetening at the pre-amplification level; tubes for harmonic richness, modest eq., etc..

Just offering a perspective. Everyone's needs and situations are different and I'm respectful of that.

I don't have a PS amp, but do  have the ABH2.  It has been great.  Lots of power and no distortion.  It outputs what you give it.  It also has some flexibility for going mono.  IMO, it depends on what you want - if you want the amp to color or distort the signal, then don't get the Benchmark.  There are charts and tests that show it is distortion free (below audible level) to high power output levels.  It is all about making the sound profile that you enjoy.  If I had unlimited budgets, I would build several different systems each tailored to different types of music because I think it is hard for one system to be optimal for all types of music.   

Truly appreciate the thoughtful, time-consuming to write words of wisdom that you all have been kind enough to help me with. It seems like the differences are subtle but real, and that you all have been very objective and realistic about what I'd be getting with each. It's great to be able to have such experience and knowledge to draw on.

PS Audio BHK 300s are really musical as well as the BHK Preamp, when I change any of these components my system it looses all its magic, the PS Audio components are noisy and it drives me crazy but no other amps or preamps make me so happy. The BHK line hits way above its weight much more expensive amps don't have the smoothness. If you listened to industrial music they wouldn't be the amps for you but you can't beat them for the music you do listen to.

@donavabdear what exactly do you mean when you say they are noisy? Fan noise type of noisy?

thanks

Hiss the dreaded monster the PS Audio BHK preamp (I've had 3 of them) is not as quiet as my other preamps like the Lyngdorf 60 (theater controller) or any of the solid state preamps I've had but I like the BHK preamp better than the rest because it make the music sound better, probably is the tubes.

I owned the AHB2 about 5x and likely going to get a pair of monos again for either my Yamaha NS5000 or Magenpan LRS+. The NS5000 would be great with the AHB2. The LRS+ maybe not the best, but I think I will take the chance. I have a CODA #16 and I will rotate the amps between the 2 systems.

The CODA #16 is likely closer to the BHK sound than the AHB2 sound. While the #16 is great, I miss the beautiful AHB2 sound. I do not think there is any top end as good as the AHB2. However, the AHB2 is not the most powerful amp, especially compared to the #16.

Speaking of noisy preamps, I had a CODA 07x preamp, and while likely very quiet compared to the majority of the preamps it was like Grand Central Station compared to the Benchmark LA4 and Holo Serene. Try a silent preamp with whatever amp you like.

@donavabdear 

I have heard the BHK preamp with the BHK 250 mono blocks and everything was whisper quiet.  If you have had problems with three of the the preamps, I’m guessing there is something else at play here. 

@curiousjim Thanks for the note, I've had 3 BHK preamps and love them because they sound great, the problem is I have Paradigm 9h speakers that are hybrid they have amplified low frequency built in and the mid and high frequency are beryllium so the speakers are very efficient. Because of that speaker efficiency the self noise of any preamplifier is very evident. I changed to boutique tubes, changed cables, moved cables many times, bought 2x P-20 power reconditions ( $20k), other passive noise removers, had home run power circuits put in my listening room, turned out I got 2x bad BHKs and PS Audio finally simply gave me a new one. Now there is no extra noise but there definitely is more noise than my other solid state preamps like my lyngdorf 60 or the PS audio DAC mk 2 or the Hifi Rose streamer. BHK preamps with the BHK 300 sound quieter with less efficient speakers if you are OCD about hiss, which I'm guilty, but the BHK lines definitely work wonderfully together musically.

@markprice 

I am buying a pair of three year old BHK300’s to go with my KEF Reference 5’s.  Do you still love them? Is there anything I should know, tricks, tubes, tweaks?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Jim

Still running my 300's with my Kef Ref 5's. 

I use a Dcs Bartok connected via XLR straight to the amps. A very simple set up. It works well and I am very happy with the sound.  The amps have tons of power and even listening at high volumes you know you could push them much further. The kefs will give you a wide soundstage and the amps will only enhance that. I haven't done any tube rolling yet but who knows in future maybe. 

As you already know the kefs produce an impressive bass from there 6.5 inch woofers but I have added 2 x Rel S812 subs to my system and the difference is "wow". Its not so much the extra low frequency you get but they really enrich the mid range and the overall spaciousness across the whole spectrum.

I hope you are as pleased with your BHKs as I have been. Let me know your houghts.

Mark