Oppo UDP - 205

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/
unsound
Thx gdhal and giri!  I am looking forward to receive my Oppo 205 on Tuesday.
a25105,
lancelock is probably right about the Modwright mod improving the sound quality of the 205. But if you add the cost of the mod to the cost of the player, it is getting close to the PS Direct Stream territory.

If the PS Dac is a 10 then the 205 in stock form would be about a 6. 

I didn't buy the Oppo 205 for 2 channel listening since I already owned the PS Audio Dac. I bought it to play 4K movies and to record the Hi-Rez audio from Blu ray concerts to my external hard drive

ozzy

Ozzy,

You are absolutely right on the price for the mod version.  I would be happy to take the 205 if you give it a 6 (trust your ears buddy:)).  Consider the price of the 205 compare it to the PSA DS.  Thx again.

Allan
Ozzy,

How do you use the 205 to record hi-rez audio from Blu-ray concerts to an external hard drive?

db
dbphd,

I own a Tascam 3000 recorder.
First I record to a SD card then transfer that to my hard drive via my laptop. I transferred my SACD's and DVD's also to the hard drive.
ozzy

Ozzy,

I have a Tascam DA-3000 as well.  How do you record an SACD to an SD card?  The Oppo 205 outputs DSD over HDMI, but the DA-3000 doesn't have an HDMI input.

@dgarretson

Just going on memory and if I’m not mistaken, the 205 can output DSD via the digital output ports. "Can" in this case means there is a setting whereby you can toggle that on or off. The digital output ports in this case are the optical Toslink and Coax.
I have the OPPO 205 plugged into the balanced inputs of a MAC MA7900. The audio output stage of the OPPO is about as sophisticated as they get with exceptional DACS. Can't say that I have heard a better CD player. When combined with the UHD Blu
Ray capability it has to be one of the best buys on the market.
They (OPPO) are simply the best at innovation. Have had many of their products. They know industrial design and are well aware of how their products will be used. 

@browndt

+1
But have you had an opportunity to compare the sound of the 205 to any multi-ladder r2r DAC? And if so, which one(s) and what is your opinion(s)?

@gdhal

From the Oppo 205 manual:

"Due to copyright restrictions, SACD audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. To listen to SACDs, please use the HDMI or analog audio connections."

"Due to bandwidth limitations, high resolution audio formats such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution and DTS-HD Master Audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. A reduced resolution version of the same audio track will be output instead. To listen to high resolution audio formats in their best quality, please use the HDMI connection..."

This pretty much rules out copying SACDs to a Tascam DA-3000. Although perhaps this could be done through an in-line HDMI-to-USB converter? However, the purpose of those devices is typically to convert from USB to HDMI, supported by a PC-connected software driver.  Not sure whether the conversion could be bidirectional.   

@dgarretson 

Thanks for pointing that out. I did write "Just going on memory and if I’m not mistaken..." Guess I'm mistaken :)  
Well, what happens when you use the Oppo PCM digital outs to the Tascam a red error message pops up on the Tascam saying copying is illegal. But, if you place the Tascam in the record/pause mode before getting that message then you can copy it.

I have also just used the analog outs from the Oppo.  Reminder this is already an upgraded quality (albeit 16/44) signal from the Oppo Dacs. I then set the Tascam record resolution to 24/96 or 24/192hz. That copy actually comes out very good. I mean after all the analog outputs is really what we amplify and listen to, isn’t it?

ozzy

ozzy’s comparative ratings of the sound quality of the DirectStream DAC (10) and the 205 (6) seem right on. 4 points is huge! The cost to close at least three of the four points is anywhere from $2500 for the ModWright 205 mod to about the same (possibly less with proper selection) for an excellent used DAC and the necessary digital cable to connect to the 205’s digital output, BUT no SACD through the external DAC. The Modwright tube mod delivers it all, including SACD playback, for $2500. Many pay far more than that for 1 point or less of improvement. Food for thought FWIW.

If you think that the ModWright mod will make no improvement or, more ridiculous, make the sound quality worse, you really need to hear a ModWright modded-player for yourself.

Dave
If one's usage is primarily physical disk based, then the Modwright Mod makes sense. Also, if one has significant space limitations, and can only house one box, then modding the 205 is a good choice.

However, if one has moved into streaming and network based audio, then a stand alone DAC makes much more sense. There are any number of excellent options from just under 1K to 2.5K.

David,

Agree that network-based audio changes things up due to the limited streaming/rendering capability of the 205.

On comparative sound quality of the MW mod vs a $1k to 2.5k DAC, I have owned 2 so far. The Hegel HD-12 and the Exogal Comet Plus DAC. Both are good DACs in that price range and definitely have their strengths but neither come close to the overall sound quality of my MW5400ES IMO. It comes very close to the excellent purpose-built $7k retail ModWright Elyse DAC I have on loan from a friend.

I know that you have a great system and ears. Do you have recommendations for DACs in the $1k to 2.5k price range that can equal the sound quality of a MW-modded 205 for those using disc media as their primary source?

Dave
ozzy’s comparative ratings of the sound quality of the DirectStream DAC (10) and the 205 (6) seem right on. 4 points is huge!

Also huge is the fact that a PS Audio DirectStream DAC costs nearly 5 times as much as an Oppo UDP-205. :)

No doubt there is usually substantial monetary cost to getting from a 6 to a 10, gdhal. Likely much less to get to an 8 or 9 and perhaps that could be the target for those who are ready to explore producing better sound from their Oppos :)

Dave

@dlcockrum

Hi Dave. My comment was about usability / functionality.

I respect what Modwirght does with their own products and also with their mods and would be happy to own one. I have come close on many occasions, most recently one of their preamps (I went with a Pass XP-20) and seriously considered the early offer from Modwright to mod the 205 since I was in the earliest wave for the 205. I have not had the pleasure to listen to a Modwright 205, so I can’t comment on sound quality from a comparative perspective. I was exposed to the older mods, and with the Sony ES CDPs...and the mod was a good investment for those who went that route.

For me, the decision would be around having two boxes vs one, and I would, and have, erred on the side of two boxes. It simply provides me with more options.

I have moved almost entirely to streaming (the 105 sits unused). In fact, I continue deeper down that rabbit hole as I am actively considering bringing another box into the mix...the dCS Network Bridge or something like the Antipodes DX.
Understood David. I too have recently become immersed in streaming Tidal and bought a few 192/24 downloads from HDtracks that sound superb. All using an Aurender N100H server/renderer/streamer as the source to the different DACs.

I have found that Ethernet cables, USB cables, and great power cords linking these "computer audio" components make even more difference to the sound quality of each than cables/cords to my other equipment. For example, the MW Elyse and the HD-12 love the WW Platinum Starlight 7 USB cable but it is almost unlistenable with the Exogal (way too lean and bright), which greatly prefers the Curious USB cable. All, including the Aurender, seem to respond well to the SR Ethernet Active UEF SE cable which I found to make a very positive difference over a 1 meter generic CAT7 cable from my router/modem to the Aurender.

I really like the Exogal Comet Plus (and the HD-12 for that matter - very smooth and easy to listen to), especially with hi-rez downloads. Yet, each time I return to the MW5400ES with redbook or SACD I am reminded of how very, very good the sound quality of that piece is.

My inquiry of you for recommendations of DACs in the <$2.5k range that offered comparable sound quality to the MW5400ES/MW205 was asked in all earnestness and I appreciate your earnest response.

Best to you David,
Dave
A philips screwdriver and the new Oppo Mod LPM does the trick for the 205.
Ok, you’ve got my attention.
I went ahead an ordered the mod from oppo.
ozzy
You will be impressed. I installed the SE version. It replaced my stock 95. No comparison. Giant killer? I have no experience with the 'giants' but this thing is beautiful, pure music. Way bigger than the 95, but with the mod. However, impressive without the mod also imo.
csontos,
I ordered the SE version too!
Is the transformer different in the SE version?
ozzy

By the wire colors it seems to be but not necessarily. Good question. In any case a very nice upgrade.
I have not yet used it at all for HT. I got it mainly for 2ch stereo. So when I finally end up watching my music DVDs, I suppose I'll be REALLY  impressed. I chose a universal player for just that reason. The 95 replaced a totl Rotel dedicated cdp. Didn't notice any difference. Oppo has a great rep for progressive innovation. Here's an example.
csontos,

I just installed the 205 mod. I also added a Synergistic black fuse and a couple of the sonic tonic bottles.
I figured out the instructions so if anyone needs help let me know.

ozzy
milpai,

I sure will after I have some hours on it. I must say this mod includes a very large transformer, usually that translates to better sound so we shall see...

ozzy
Did you "notice the improvement instantly" ???   That is what they claim.
A bigger transformer translates to bigger magnetic fields and more vibration and since the big transformer is bolted to the chassis, guess what? That’s right, worse sound! And magnetic fields are not (rpt not) exactly good for the sound, either. I'm not hot dogging you. I had the supremely modded Oppo 103 including the OPPOMOD linear power supply LPS that included, you guessed it, the honking big transformer and a whole slew of capacitors.
It's a significant and instant improvement. Transient performance is better overall but especially noticeable on the bottom end, better definition. Better low level resolution. It's quieter. The level of improvement is well worth the cost imo. Keep in mind even without this mod the 205 is remarkably better than the 95 which the 105 really did not improve upon much from what I've read. That's why I didn't bother upgrading to the 105. But this is a different animal. There's a relatively simple mod to the inboard dac being offered at DIY consisting of replacing some electrolytics to oscon and adding Wima coupling caps to block any dc getting in the signal path

Thx - quality transformers are spendy so it seems likely a co. would economize there

too bad Oppo doesn't offer a "Plus" version for $250 more
I suspect they deliberately leave an open door for those of us who like to build on the design. Covers a larger market that way.
Yesterday I watched the movie "The Resident Evil- Final Chapter" and wow there was some fantastic dynamic  surround sounds.

Today for the first time I started listening to the Oppo 205 via 2 channel with the upgraded power supply.
First impression; definitely a stronger bass presentation and a wide stereo separation. I only have about 20 hours of playing time with the mod so we shall see how it develops.

ozzy
My reference is a pair of Acoustat Monitor 3 with the direct drive servo charge OTLs. The transparency of these renders any source stark naked. Bottom octave is sharp, articulate, and weighty, no overhang or ringing revealing the true potential of the speakers themselves. For lack of a better term, bottom end has 'air'. Spectacular imo. This thing is top tier, no doubt about it.
@ozzy,
Would like to hear to hear about 2-channel audio, comparing the Oppo to the Bryston/PS Audio. Just curious about that mod.
Post removed 
The Yggy is limited to Redbook but is stellar

The Oppo UDP-205 is also stellar, and not limited to Redbook.

In my current setup, anthem 225 and kef ls50's would I be better served getting the oppo 205, or a dedicated dac like something from schiit or naim?

I'm waiting on a Yggdrasil (for a while, and I'm beginning to wonder if Schiit ever ships) which I will feed from the Oppo UDP-205 (which I've had since it was first released). The UDP-205 is *absolutely essential* in any serious A/V system. If your question is meant to say that you are dismissing video altogether then don't get it and just get the Yggy. If you also need video, then my suggestion is buy both, the UDP-205 and whatever else.

Milpai, I was describing firstly the Acoustats' ability, and then the Oppo's effect on them. The Oppo makes it sound like I upgraded the amps. Reminds me of the Boothroyd Stuart Meridian 105 monos I got in 1978. Fast, punchy, great mid range, very musical/transparent. You knew you got a real gem.
Hmm. That's alarming. Have they alluded to any remedy?
Not yet. The gist of their (supervisor level) response is a high priority ticket has been issued and the next official firmware release is mid-October. In the interim, some beta testers on the AVS forum have already/also verified same. I have sent the following correspondence to Oppo, asking that their executive management team read it.

As of firmware 50-0913, the UDP-205 no longer always correctly, accurately and faithfully displays the proper aspect ratio while in source direct mode. 

When the unit is essentially asked to do nothing (comparatively speaking) and can’t get that right, their (Oppo) presumed embarrassment should speak volumes and act as the catalyst for action.

In my opinion this issue should be of utmost priority to Oppo engineers and utmost concern to customers. Oppo engineers should do absolutely nothing - besides eating and sleeping - other than work to resolve this particular issue.

Alternatively, they could offer a full refund to those who would accept it.

Customers should be concerned because if source direct isn’t right, it certainly calls into question “what is”.

Once resolved, the company as a whole should then turn their attention to why this was never caught in the QA and beta process, and then implement a procedural and perhaps other change(s) to ensure this type of problem wouldn’t occur again.

Next, their engineers should turn their attention to creating the necessary conditions via hardware and/or firmware that allow a user to restore to a previous version of firmware. That could serve to mitigate these types of issues.

I ask everyone to add your voice/text to mine by calling and/or writing to Oppo, multiple times per week, until this is resolved.

Thank you.
Well here is my first review of the Oppo 205 with the power supply mod and with the 2 channel balanced outputs.

It is definitely an improvement over the stock power supply.
First off there is much greater bass with better definition.
Second the general dynamics are impressive.
Third, the stereo separation is wide not much deeper though.
And finally the general frequency response has been improved from the lowest lows to the upper frequencies.

So now I have compared this modified Oppo 205 to my main system; which consists of a Bryston BDP-2 ($3000) and PS Audio Direct Stream Dac ($6000) and a Mutec ($1000) for a total of $10,000 of equipment.

Results: The modified Oppo 205 competes in most areas except in soundstage depth and the space between instruments. If the original Oppo 205 was a 6 compared to my main system, the power supply mod brings it up to maybe a 7 or perhaps 8.
It should be noted that along with the power supply mod I also installed a Synergistic black fuse and 2 of the Tweek Geeks Sonic Tonic bottles inside the Oppo 205.

ozzy
Perhaps I was a little too kind on the Oppo 205 mod with my comparison to my main system.
A longer comparison reveals that my main system has solid images that sound 3d and are more enjoyable. The Oppo 205 in comparison has cut out versions of those images compared to my main system.

But, look at the price differences! For the price the Oppo 205 and the updated mod power supply should satisfy many.

ozzy