Oppo UDP - 205

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/
unsound

Showing 16 responses by csontos

A philips screwdriver and the new Oppo Mod LPM does the trick for the 205.
You will be impressed. I installed the SE version. It replaced my stock 95. No comparison. Giant killer? I have no experience with the 'giants' but this thing is beautiful, pure music. Way bigger than the 95, but with the mod. However, impressive without the mod also imo.
By the wire colors it seems to be but not necessarily. Good question. In any case a very nice upgrade.
I have not yet used it at all for HT. I got it mainly for 2ch stereo. So when I finally end up watching my music DVDs, I suppose I'll be REALLY  impressed. I chose a universal player for just that reason. The 95 replaced a totl Rotel dedicated cdp. Didn't notice any difference. Oppo has a great rep for progressive innovation. Here's an example.
It's a significant and instant improvement. Transient performance is better overall but especially noticeable on the bottom end, better definition. Better low level resolution. It's quieter. The level of improvement is well worth the cost imo. Keep in mind even without this mod the 205 is remarkably better than the 95 which the 105 really did not improve upon much from what I've read. That's why I didn't bother upgrading to the 105. But this is a different animal. There's a relatively simple mod to the inboard dac being offered at DIY consisting of replacing some electrolytics to oscon and adding Wima coupling caps to block any dc getting in the signal path

I suspect they deliberately leave an open door for those of us who like to build on the design. Covers a larger market that way.
My reference is a pair of Acoustat Monitor 3 with the direct drive servo charge OTLs. The transparency of these renders any source stark naked. Bottom octave is sharp, articulate, and weighty, no overhang or ringing revealing the true potential of the speakers themselves. For lack of a better term, bottom end has 'air'. Spectacular imo. This thing is top tier, no doubt about it.
Milpai, I was describing firstly the Acoustats' ability, and then the Oppo's effect on them. The Oppo makes it sound like I upgraded the amps. Reminds me of the Boothroyd Stuart Meridian 105 monos I got in 1978. Fast, punchy, great mid range, very musical/transparent. You knew you got a real gem.
As I mentioned, the oscon/Wima upgrade for the 205 dac will no doubt change it a little bit...
just go to diyaudio.com. On the digital forum, there will be a thread on the first page regarding the upgrades for the 205. It will be on the last page or near it. What are the other upgrades you mentioned?
Willemj, you're either not serious, or don't know what you're talking about.

dlcockrum, you need to get yourself a 205
It doesn't matter what your current scenario is, it's entirely possible to realize a sq improvement with any upgrade. That it may still not be optimal overall is irrelevant. Does it sound better?