Oppo UDP - 205

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/
unsound
Hi everyone.

I have the Oppo UDP-205 and I have a problem.  When I power it up it freezes at the greeting (HELLO) and does not display a menu of any type.  Moreover, it fails to respond to everything but power down.  It turns off and on and the TV identifies it as on, but that is all.

This occurred when I tried playing a UHD disc I had been having some trouble with (menu would sometimes fail to appear or it would not load up).  When the disc froze, I tried turning the power off and then on but since then I have had no response to work with.

I have tried to leave it unplugged overnight, but it is no better.

Any ideas? 
I think I may do Oppo 205 mainly for playback of Blu-ray but then I can also get a hi-end A/V receiver like Carey Audio and feed my 95 via HDMI . Wonder if that would work better ? There is also theory that HDMI may compromise the sound but I have never tried this method. Marantz also has good receivers but there are skeptics who do not like Marantz (as it is kind of commercialized generic receiver). 
For SACD, regardless, I think direct playback from the SACD player is the best so as not to contaminate the DSD, and also won't run risk of PCM conversion. I tried SACD M-ch via oppo 95 and it sounds pretty good! I am wondering how much upgrade there would be for 205 regards to M-ch playback of SACD and Blu-ray. 

In the meantime I waiting for my Sony SA-60 to arrive which is purely for SACD M-ch playback. 
There is a green tab/button that reads "Follow this discussion". Just click on that and you will be notified every time a post is made on this topic.
I must have looked at wrong date. I see your comments in the thread too, thank you. For some reason, audiogon does not notify me when there is response from the threads, so I am not aware of responses until I check the threads
I am hoping if some of you have compared one such Sony SACD player to the Oppo, which one is better for SACD stereo/surround?

Hi atacgene. Welcome to the forum. I don’t think this discussion ended :) My view is it’s never to late to resurrect a thread/topic. One of the problems with this forum IMO is there is so much duplication of data (good and bad info) that it becomes more difficult to search and find whatever you might be wanting. This is because people have a tendency of starting a new thread instead of just reading and/or posting in an existing one.

Anyway, to your question, years ago I had a Sony SACD/DVD player. I forget the model, but it was an "ES" series which is their best offering. But, I only have one SACD, a "Sony Sampler". So I have little to remember as far as Sony SACD playback is concerned. When I got my Oppo 205 in what seems like eons ago now, I did use the SACD simply to check that the Oppo would play it. It did, and very well. So while I cannot provide you with specific comparison information (Oppo to Sony), suffice it to say that should you decide to purchase the Oppo 205, you will likely be very pleased with the sound quality of SACD playback.
Hi all,
Joining u guys for this discussion, though it ended months ago. I have an Oppo 95 and may consider upgrade to 205 +/- mod. But I am interested to see how the older Sony SACD sounds. I need mainly for M-CH playback for my large collection of  SACD. I read great reviews of Sony SA-60. I am hoping if some of you have compared one such Sony SACD player to the Oppo, which one is better for SACD stereo/surround ? 
Many thanks!

@im4umia,

for the the price of the DS Jr you could send your Oppo 205 to Modwright for full tube mods and separate power supply. I have the the DS DAC and the Modwright 205. As good as the DS DAC is I slightly prefer the Modwright 205 for its dynamics. They are both good just different. Just know that the oppo’s two 32-bit HyperStream Dual ESS ES9038PRO Sabre DAC chips are very good and respond in an incredible with the modified output stage.

In defense of the DS DAC, it does get better with every new firmware update.

Please forgive my ignorance.....before reading this thread from it's beginning, my plan was to upgrade to a UDP-205 replacing my BDP-105D.  I figured it had reasonably decent DAC's for processing all audio sources to analog prior to output via it's 7.1 analog outputs.  Of course it would serve as my 4K player and various audio disc formats.

After reading, I've learned that a superior DAC would likely be in order and I have identified several options thanks to the thread.  

My 'ignorance' is this:  since the oppo DAC processes all sourced material prior to output to any speaker configuration (ie- stereo, 5.1 or 7.1), how is the external DAC (with only L/R outputs) connected to my main processor (Marantz AV7702mkII) to facilitate analog output to ALL surround channels?  Or is this even possible?

If it cannot, and the DAC is purely meant to deliver 'analog stereo', how is this connection to the main processor accomplished while at the same time enabling the oppo surround capabilities for movies, sacd and DVD audio play? 

My guess is:

From oppo to external DAC:  digital out to digital in

From oppo to processor: multi-ch analog audio out to analog audio in

From external DAC to processor: L/R analog out to Assignable L/R audio in

Then I simply choose the desired sound source on the processor.

Thanks all for your consideration and feed back.  Very much appreciated!

Steve

ps - I'm thinking PSA Directstream Jr. -or-

rstone.

The LPM SE for the 205 is fairly easy if your not afraid of taking it apart. There are a lot of screws to take out.
 Perhaps take pictures before and as you disassemble.
But, it is basically a direct drop in for the Oppo board and can be easily reversed if you want to sell it. Upgrade the fuse while your in there with a SR Blue fuse.

It takes a while for the new breakin of the caps and such but I think it is well worth the cost and time. 

ozzy
Anyone else who has installed the LPM or LPM SE from OPPO Mod in the 205 care to chime in on any tips or tricky areas for installing?  

Considering this, but not super handy and would prefer it to be reversible if, by chance, I don’t like it. 

Thanks 
Ozzy,

Any tricks to installing the Oppomod LPM SE in the 205.  Anything that’s irreversible? Still liking it?  Considering ordering one bit on the fence.  

Thanks,

Rich
Getting my new 205 next week.... would like current recommendations for an external dac between 2-2.5k new or used that you have lived with for a while using the OPPO as a transport ... also please recommend cable used from OPPO to DAC . Thanking all in advance

Oppo UDP-205 > Belden 1694A (Canare RCAPs) > Schiit Yggdrasil
Getting my new 205 next week.... would like current recommendations for an external dac between 2-2.5k new or used that you have lived with for a while using the OPPO as a transport ... also please recommend cable used from OPPO to DAC . Thanking all in advance 
Post removed 
Post removed 
The latest firmware update to the UDP-205 adds MQA decoding to the UDP-205’s digital audio file playback. When a user navigates through music files using the UDP-205’s “Music” app, the player will be able to identify and decode files encoded with MQA.  

@boisehomes, I would love to hear your opinion on MQA file playback from 205. 

Boisehomes. I’m not disagreeing with your ideas on upgrading. I suggest before you do; audition the benefits of an Equitech 2Q ( maybe $2400used)  in your system. That and some basic MIT Oracle lll (non networked) power cords ( maybe $600 used) will likely startle you and provide an all new reference. Your ears and ego will love it  :) Pete. ( I’m using some reference Spectral,MIT; Sound Application,Goldman,B&W...and find the Equitech invaluable. Isolation value incredible. Good luck 
@gdhal ,
I certainly understand your pain. Fortunately the issue was minor and Oppo acknowledged that they would be coming up with the fix shortly.

I also let them know about the  "Reset Factory Defaults" option not being available under "Devise Setup" , on the smartphone app.
@boisehomes, I believe you are correct that you cannot output DSD via the digital outputs because of "anti piracy or something". But you can ask OPPO, read the manual and/or try it. Best of luck with your new UDP-205.

@milpai, nice catch on your part to report the DSF issue (based on what I've read on avs forum). You do know I feel your pain in so far as a feature that was working goes awry after a firmware update :)
@boisehomes ,
Good to know that it was a good upgrade for you. I understand that the 205 is awesome on SACDs without any mod. The mod "might" change the CD sound, but not sure on SACD. Besides spending money on the upgrades, you will also not get the value back when you sell it. As such 95% of your use is SACD. You might want to think about the mods a bit. Just a suggestion - spend that money on room treatments instead.
I received my UDP-205 yesterday and have it all hooked up! I’m running it to an Ayre K-1xe preamp with Transparent ultra XLR cables and from there to Krell FPB-350m monos. My speakers are Egglestonworks Andra II. Cables between amps and pre are MIT XLR. Speaker cables are MIT bi-wires. I’m also running JL Audio F113’s in stereo as well! 

Right off of the bat with no break in time the 205 is a very noticeable upgrade from my 105. I will update in a few days after I get some break in on it. Over the next year I will mod the hell out of it and report back with reviews! Most likely I’ll start a new thread. 95% of my use is SACD and red book on it. So far so I’m pretty impressed! :)
@milpai

Very nice! I think I’m going to sale my “mint 105” with all accessories and packaging in silver if anyone wants one ;) lol! And order a 205 tomorrow! Then wait for a used Bryston DAC to come up for sale! I like to by my gear second hand for 1/2 price but have usually purchased my CD players new! I’ll try the power supply upgrade from clones or oppomod on it and report back! 👍🏻
@boisehomes,
Don't mean to confuse you. But as I listened to music tonight, I am amazed by the DEFINITION and BASS that the 205 puts out. The bass output is so much that I am a bit worried how the new loudspeakers (on order) would behave in my room. Also, it is digging up some information that I did not hear from the CDs that I am familiar with. I think the "confusion factor" is much reduced with this player. Mind you, this is the first time I am using a player with XLR connections instead of RCA. I hope somebody who has used XLRs on both 105 and 205 is able to contribute to this thread.
I believe at this point I must have put some 160+ hours on it. I don't plan to do the 250+ hour "burn in" like some people have suggested. I already like what I am listening. Again, sorry for adding to your confusion, but my player seems to have "opened up".
I doubt these mods will make for an audible improvement (euphonic difference, maybe). See here for comments on the earlier Oppo 105: http://archimago.blogspot.nl/2017/04/measurements-oppo-bdp-105-rca-xlr-hdmi.html#comment-form
Take home: it is excellent in stock form, at least one tube mod tested was awful, and use the XLR output.
@audioquest4life 

It would be great if someone could review a fully modded oppomod player vs modwright vs Clones Audio vs a stock player! Be really interesting to know how the modded units sound! 
@boisehomes ,
Please check the Bryston thread at audiocircles.com. There are folks who have connected the 105 to the BDA-3 DAC. The folks from Bryston are active on that thread and can answer any questions you have.
@milpai 

If I could know 100% for certain that I can output DSD from my SACD disc to a nice out board DAC I would absolutely spend 3-4K on a new DAC instead of modding a 205. I have heard conflicting answers about it! 
@boisehomes,
I thought with a firmware update, DSD is possible with 105. But I may be wrong. You can use the 105 to stream DSD to a DAC with HDMI, or create DSD files using 105. You really have lots of options. I am loving my 205, but my future upgrade would be a nice DAC and use the 205 as a transport.
Don't forget that Clones Audio has their version of PSUPD for the OPPO-205 and there is a deluxe version as well.
@milpai 

Isn't it correct that I can’t use DSD with the coax digital out on the oppo to a separate DAC? I have a huge SACD collection and still spin the disc regularly. I thought I read on here that it’s a anti piracy thing or something? Plus I have a nice 4K monitor that I can plug a 205 in too! Just thought it would be easiest to sale my 105 and mod a 205! Let me know if I am understanding this correctly? 2 channel Audio is my main priority as I have an Xbox one that can handle all the 4K stuff if necessary.

@randy-11,
Thanks. I think a loudspeaker makes the most difference, if a upgrade is in order. I have read about MQA and have not heard it. So cannot comment on it. But the reason I specify was to make folks know that with the Beta Firmware, this is now an option.

@boisehomes,
Instead of trying to replace the 105, check with folks who have added an external DAC to their existing 105 and see if that made a big difference. Remember that with the 105
Post removed 
I have a 205 as my current 4K player, and part time SACD / CD player (long story, mac MVP891 damaged during Home theater rack install). I think it plays great with acoustic and jazz music, reminds me of my old long departed Krell SACD in regards to music. So far, I am content with the sound, and the movies. But, as others have stated, critically listening to the 205 compared to other players, may lead to some consternation when compared to other players which can play at a higher level of performance, albeit, more than likely at a higher price point. If the mod brings it up to spec to other higher priced players, at a modest cost, then its worth it. I must search this mod...I am expecting the dealer to offer me a MCD550 or new MVP901, and whatever comes, it will be fun 5o compare. 
I’m considering replacing my stock oppo BDP-105 with the 205. Is it a step up in sound quality? Also has anyone tried the “complete mod” from oppomod? It seems pretty reasonable for $850.00 if you get big gains? I will definitely be modding mine when I get it! Just trying to figure out what mod is the best bang for the buck! :)
I'm not an MQA fan as I don't see what the benefit is vs. a HiRes recording

and... it opens the door to DRM
Did you guys notice that Oppo UDP-205 is now Roon Ready / endpoint?

Meaning, it can stream your music files, AND Tidal!
Forgot to mention - the Android app is a pleasure to use. No need to TV for audio playback. I tried USB stick with FLAC, MP3, DSF, etc formats and it works like a charm. Can even change the filter options from this app. I really like the convenience that this app provides.
I got my UDP-205 today. This is really a substantial unit. It is heavier than my previous Marantz A-8260. I like it from the get go. Contrary to what I have read, this is NOT a "bright sounding" player at all. If anything, I find it has lots of details. The images are well defined and stable. The bass sounds a bit lean, but ha good definition. The player has great extension at both end of the sound spectrum compared to my existing player.
I have put the player on "repeat" for the past  couple of hours.
Just noticed this thread, as I am getting the 205. Yes, no question that’s the better move as it leaves you lots more room to grow. Heck, for the most part, I play digital music out of a $50 raspberry pi 3 sending toslink out to an Ayre codex and to an Ayre preamp/amp stack and Vandersteen Quattros. Speakers matter so much!
Update from my side - I am going with a 12k loudspeaker with the Oppo UDP-205. This should make a bigger sound upgrade than a $5k loudspeaker and $4-5k SACD player.
Nice comeback milpai. :) The reviewer lost me toward the end when he was discussing how his Meridian processor did not have Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD decoding. Best Buy stuff has had that for, what, 10 years now? No wonder he was blown away...

Dave