Oppo UDP - 205

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/
unsound

Showing 34 responses by gdhal

Just set up my OPPO 205, half way through a blue ray movie everything froze, the picture and all controls on oppo. Had to unplug it to restart. Not sure what this means, the disc was brand new. Replayed the disk without further such episodes. Played the disk without any initial setup, factory settings. Has anyone had this happen on prior versions 105/103?

Yes, others have reported this type of issue.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/2821841-official-oppo-udp-205-uhd-blu-ray-player-o...

Folks who got this player, what is your conclusion? Giant killer or a regular CDP? Any comparisons to the latest standalone SACD players?

My conclusion and that of many others (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/2821841-official-oppo-udp-205-uhd-blu-ray-player-o...) is the device is spectacular in every way. Overall value monetarily and comparatively speaking makes it a must have unit for anyone, especially those who also desire great video.

On the audio only side, I'd venture to say the Sabre DAC and the rest of the analog circuit can produce reference sound quality when used in a resolving system.
@milpai 

You're welcome.

It's easy for me to answer your question by choosing option 2. I already have the UDP-205 for a few months now, and tomorrow I expect to receive my pair of Golden Ear Triton Reference speakers.

@dlcockrum 

Would just like to point out, given your concern with the DAC, that the Sabre ES9038PRO is also used in a $9,000 Ayre component, and I do not believe (although perhaps I'm mistaken) it is implemented any differently than the $1,300 Oppo. Again, no disrespect, just pointing it out.

http://www.audioxpress.com/article/ayre-acoustics-adopts-ess-sabre-es9038pro-dac-on-new-qx-5-twenty-...

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/1059-ayre-acoustics-qx5-twenty-digital-to-...

Why would anyone buy a $9k digital component vs a $1300 one that has much more functionality.

No argument here and I get your point. In fact, you are likely entirely if not at least partially correct. However, I’d like to offer another *possible* answer; because the $9K unit is WAY over priced to begin with given the manufacturers desire/need to profit exorbitantly and a result of their WAY lower sales volume relative to Oppo.

@dlcockrum

I like your witticism :)

As to your statement, I cannot recall or care to link to the specific post, but if memory serves there is at least one fellow on the AVS Forum UDP-205 Owners Thread who purportedly has extremely expensive gear (100K+) and not only gave a thumbs up to the 205 but touted it as best he has heard (paraphrasing). Just saying...

Keep in mind, I grant you and others that at face value, the Oppo UDP-205 should be no match against purpose built DACs costing twice or more the 205 and manufactured by already established high-end companies. On the other hand, stranger things in life have happened.
@milpai 

I dare say that if you are able to justify the cost of a truly high end DAC and purchase same, you or anyone else should be in a financial position to then purchase the Oppo on the top of it. The Oppo would then serve as transport.

Keep in mind seriously high end DACs are over 10 grand. So what's another $1,300 on an Oppo?
@gdhal , it is hard to believe that we cannot get a serious high end DAC under $10k.

@milpai 

I'm basing that on the 3,400 + comments in this thread, starting from the beginning.
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/absolute-top-tier-dac-for-standard-res-redbook-cd

Don't need a $10k+ DAC to substantially better the 205 sonically for two-channel listening. Many fine DACs in the $2-4k range (and less used) will get you there.

@dlcockrum 

Point well taken. Hence the reason I have my antenna out in an attempt to understand all options :) 

@dlcockrum 

Thanks for that recommendation. Upon a cursory review of http://www.exogal.com/index.php/products I note clicking the comet plus dac image produces a page not found error. http://www.exogal.com/index.php/products/comet-plus-dac Granted that could be and likely is temporary. Also there are reviews and other data on different sites. On such site https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/12/06/review-exogal-comet-dac/ would have me believe the MSRP is $2995 and that is without the upgraded power supply. So, if you bought new you likely have a great deal and if used with the $500 extra power supply again you may have bought into a great deal.

They only have three US dealers, none of which are local to me.

I note the rear of the unit does have a USB A input. Can you confirm/deny whether or not it can "plug and play" if a flash memory stick with music files is inserted.  

Again, thank you Dave.
but what about a Yggy?

@randy-11 

I could be mistaken but I don't believe the Yggy does DSD.

The OPPO 205 may have an HDCP conflict with other digital equipment when the OPPO becomes aware of another piece of equipment connected digitally through HDMI.

@buckhorn_cortez

I believe many of those issues are discussed on the AVS forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/2821841-official-oppo-udp-205-uhd-blu-ray-player-o...

So I agree with you that certain connections to certain devices can present an issue. Fortunately, I do not have the drop-out issue as I'm connected via HDMI to my Samsung UN65KS9800.  

Don't hold your breath for a quick fix. Glad you found a work around though. I was among the first to obtain a UDP-205, and reported a problem - which they have acknowledged - whereby if you play in gapless mode and choose to display remaining time, only the screen via HDMI shows time remaining. The unit itself continues to show time elapsed.  This is not the case if not using gapless playback.
@david_ten 

Thanks for your informative post. I currently own an Oppo UDP-205. Like you, I was part of the pre-rollout wave. At the moment, the 205 is my primary and best source. I am rather pleased with its overall performance and sound quality. However, I do intend to upgrade (i.e. am hopeful and would like too upgrade) my front end source and I'm giving serious consideration to the Schiit Yggdrasil. If I purchase the Yggy, I intend to use the Oppo as transport using its 75 ohm coax output to the Yggy 75 ohm coax input. I see no other choice but optical which I'd like to avoid.

Given the aforementioned and in your opinion, should I expect to hear a *noticeable* improvement in sound quality?
...Personally, I would not buy anything from Schiit. I was treated badly and charged 50% of the purchase price for a return on an item that I only had for 2 weeks and was like new when it was returned. Albeit the item was originally about $150 but 50% was a bit much for restocking, shipping, customer service etc. charges. Never again, there name is appropriate...

@ozzy 

That is unfortunate (for me) to read. Were you within the 15 day return windows?

@a25105, the UDP-205 sounds phenomenal. Trust me, and the scores of others on the AVS forum owners thread.

That said, I do take delight in knowing that while my system already sounds great (Oppo UDP-205 >> Musical Fidelity M6si >> Golden Ear Triton Reference), I can at least believe/hope (never know until you get there yourself) that it should only get better with an outboard DAC. What that DAC will be remains to be seen, and at such time I'll use the Oppo as transport.

By the way, there are six usable and one diagnostic digital filters that one can choose from. I've found the default Mini Phase Fast is best. Point though is the sound can be tweaked. XLR and RCA are the same, with the exception that XLR is +6db hotter.
@lancelock 

The thought of modifying the 205 crossed my mind as well. A few issues trouble me with that idea though. One, the warranty with Oppo is voided. Two, the expense to get the full mod I understand is between 2 and 3 grand. At that point, a new Shiit Yggy or Mytex Brooklyn DAC just makes more sense (to me). Third, I would be without the 205 for a month or longer while I await the modification. Lastly, there is always a chance (however small) a third-party modification could make things worse. 
@dgarretson

Just going on memory and if I’m not mistaken, the 205 can output DSD via the digital output ports. "Can" in this case means there is a setting whereby you can toggle that on or off. The digital output ports in this case are the optical Toslink and Coax.
@dgarretson 

Thanks for pointing that out. I did write "Just going on memory and if I’m not mistaken..." Guess I'm mistaken :)  
@browndt

+1
But have you had an opportunity to compare the sound of the 205 to any multi-ladder r2r DAC? And if so, which one(s) and what is your opinion(s)?
ozzy’s comparative ratings of the sound quality of the DirectStream DAC (10) and the 205 (6) seem right on. 4 points is huge!

Also huge is the fact that a PS Audio DirectStream DAC costs nearly 5 times as much as an Oppo UDP-205. :)

The Yggy is limited to Redbook but is stellar

The Oppo UDP-205 is also stellar, and not limited to Redbook.

In my current setup, anthem 225 and kef ls50's would I be better served getting the oppo 205, or a dedicated dac like something from schiit or naim?

I'm waiting on a Yggdrasil (for a while, and I'm beginning to wonder if Schiit ever ships) which I will feed from the Oppo UDP-205 (which I've had since it was first released). The UDP-205 is *absolutely essential* in any serious A/V system. If your question is meant to say that you are dismissing video altogether then don't get it and just get the Yggy. If you also need video, then my suggestion is buy both, the UDP-205 and whatever else.

Hmm. That's alarming. Have they alluded to any remedy?
Not yet. The gist of their (supervisor level) response is a high priority ticket has been issued and the next official firmware release is mid-October. In the interim, some beta testers on the AVS forum have already/also verified same. I have sent the following correspondence to Oppo, asking that their executive management team read it.

As of firmware 50-0913, the UDP-205 no longer always correctly, accurately and faithfully displays the proper aspect ratio while in source direct mode. 

When the unit is essentially asked to do nothing (comparatively speaking) and can’t get that right, their (Oppo) presumed embarrassment should speak volumes and act as the catalyst for action.

In my opinion this issue should be of utmost priority to Oppo engineers and utmost concern to customers. Oppo engineers should do absolutely nothing - besides eating and sleeping - other than work to resolve this particular issue.

Alternatively, they could offer a full refund to those who would accept it.

Customers should be concerned because if source direct isn’t right, it certainly calls into question “what is”.

Once resolved, the company as a whole should then turn their attention to why this was never caught in the QA and beta process, and then implement a procedural and perhaps other change(s) to ensure this type of problem wouldn’t occur again.

Next, their engineers should turn their attention to creating the necessary conditions via hardware and/or firmware that allow a user to restore to a previous version of firmware. That could serve to mitigate these types of issues.

I ask everyone to add your voice/text to mine by calling and/or writing to Oppo, multiple times per week, until this is resolved.

Thank you.
@ozzy

I don’t mean to be a party-pooper, and I’ll assume you read my last post. Granted, that pertains to video and not *necessarily* audio.

Nevertheless, the question (please allow some poetic license here) remains that if the Oppo UDP-205 can’t get it right when you tell it not to alter video and simply provide native/raw format, how could anyone expect it to do anything - audio or video - right when you ask it to *process* whatever it is you play back through it?

It is my view at this time that everything (audio and video) about the Oppo UDP-250 is "unfaithful". And we know what happens in that kind of marriage.

I ask everyone to add their voice/text to mine by calling and/or writing to Oppo, multiple times per week, until they can get *source direct* correct.

Thank you.
hopefully the few bugs in the 205 will be sorted out in future firmware updates.

I hope so too. However, the firmware "updates" thus far in my opinion are analogous to having a problem with your homes foundation and then hiring a contractor to remodel the upstairs bathroom. As to their latest bug, a black widow spider is also a bug, and that is lethal to humans.
The UDP-205 disappointed me, it does NOT support Tidal, it only streams from a NAS or attached disk.

At least in the case of not supporting Tidal, it is/was advertised as such. So no harm there because the buyer is aware before hand and can make an educated purchase (or educated choice not to purchase).

The problem I’ve discovered rises to a completely different level of egregiousness. I honestly wonder whether or not at least some of the specs are fraudulent. And while admittedly I’d be surprised if that were the case, I think it behooves Oppo to produce some kind of *third-party* scientific results (not the mere silly professional review bench tests) from a credible lab that can substantiate whether or not the unit actual outputs correct resolution, aspect ratio (which it currently does not in all cases) and audio synchronization among a myriad of other parameters.

If I as an end user was *easily* able to notice an issue in source direct mode, imagine the other problems not readily detectable by human eye/ear.
I can assure everyone I shall not post ad nauseam. Given the total number of posts in this thread already, the number I have posted pales in comparison.

My aim is true, and my sincere objective would hopefully be beneficial to everyone.

What I've posted to date merely describes the particularly egregious symptom of the problem. The truth is, when a company issues software or firmware that causes something that was operable to no longer function correctly, baring deliberate sabotage, the organization does not perform adequate testing. Because restoration is possible - but not allowed by contractual obligation/law - it is imperative that causing something that was operable to no longer function be avoided.

The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few. Please let Oppo know.

Thank you.
I've been using my 105, because of annoying audio problems using the 205 with DirecTV that don't occur with the 105. Having learned about the firmware update, I reinstalled the 205 and updated it. The annoying problems appear to have been fixed in the update.

Perhaps, but at least one *new* annoying problem has been introduced.
Oppo’s response (after extensive checking with their engineering group and numerous back-and-forth communication) to the source direct problem I pointed out is that "the unit was not operating correctly prior to the latest firmware" and has since been corrected. They go on to write "so like I said last week the videos that are not 4:3 or 16:9 will be sent out as 16:9, and the television or scaler can correct for them."

That response is despite my submitting PROOF (including but not limited to the video file itself and complete specifications of the video) that the very same video that the UDP-205 cannot play with the correct aspect ratio *in any one of its modes* let alone source direct plays perfectly fine and with the correct aspect ratio when played via the USB port on my (pro-calibrated) Samsung UN65KS9800.

I have asked Oppo to have their product management intervene (render feedback at a minimum). In other words, I maintain that the way Oppo currently states the unit should work (in this regard), *should not* be the way the Oppo UDP-205 works in this regard. A video other than 4:3 or 16:9 *should* be output as X:Y, whatever X:Y happens to be, when in source direct mode. Instead, the UDP-205 STRETCHES the video and by their own admission this is by design.

At the moment the only alternative is to send the unit in so that the firmware can be restored back to the WORKING CORRECTLY prior version.
@boisehomes, I believe you are correct that you cannot output DSD via the digital outputs because of "anti piracy or something". But you can ask OPPO, read the manual and/or try it. Best of luck with your new UDP-205.

@milpai, nice catch on your part to report the DSF issue (based on what I've read on avs forum). You do know I feel your pain in so far as a feature that was working goes awry after a firmware update :)
Getting my new 205 next week.... would like current recommendations for an external dac between 2-2.5k new or used that you have lived with for a while using the OPPO as a transport ... also please recommend cable used from OPPO to DAC . Thanking all in advance

Oppo UDP-205 > Belden 1694A (Canare RCAPs) > Schiit Yggdrasil
I am hoping if some of you have compared one such Sony SACD player to the Oppo, which one is better for SACD stereo/surround?

Hi atacgene. Welcome to the forum. I don’t think this discussion ended :) My view is it’s never to late to resurrect a thread/topic. One of the problems with this forum IMO is there is so much duplication of data (good and bad info) that it becomes more difficult to search and find whatever you might be wanting. This is because people have a tendency of starting a new thread instead of just reading and/or posting in an existing one.

Anyway, to your question, years ago I had a Sony SACD/DVD player. I forget the model, but it was an "ES" series which is their best offering. But, I only have one SACD, a "Sony Sampler". So I have little to remember as far as Sony SACD playback is concerned. When I got my Oppo 205 in what seems like eons ago now, I did use the SACD simply to check that the Oppo would play it. It did, and very well. So while I cannot provide you with specific comparison information (Oppo to Sony), suffice it to say that should you decide to purchase the Oppo 205, you will likely be very pleased with the sound quality of SACD playback.