No Output from Hegel H390

Hi All, need some help.

I have recently bought Hegel H390 integrated amplifier.

I connected it to a network via ethernet, upgraded firmware to latest one and opened my Roon. Roon immediately recognized Hegel as end point. Though to my surprise there where three Hegel end points. One Ethernet and two AirPlay ones. I enabled only Ethernet. Network on display immediately changed to Roon and displayed frequency rate of the flac file. However there is no output coming out to speakers. Played DSD file from Roon. Roon recoginized it is DSD input. Same result, no output to speakers. I switched to Analogue RCA input and connected my turntable and played a record with the same result, no output whatsoever. Then I plugged my ethernet cable to my Mytek Brooklyn Bridge and used XLR cable to Hegel input, changed to XLR input, again no sound at all. When streaming from Roon when I press Next or Previous on a Hegel remote it does skip or go back. So network communication works as expected, except that output does not deliver sound to speakers.

Any suggestions? Did anyone experienced anything similar?

Any help is welcome

Ag insider logo xs@2xpegolea

Are 100% sure you didn’t inadvertently change the attenuation ? This happened to me on a Hegel H190; There was no output, similar situation. It turned out to the that the volume was essentially scaled to zero.

You have to look in the manual and figure out how to reset it to factory default.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Jason's path forward is the one I'd prefer to leave as the last (though most likely proper one). 

Dpac, yes I have done factory reset.

Grislybutter, I have not measured signal to the speakers, but I have connected my ARC REF 75 and the work just fine.

So far all the paths lead to something not being right with output board of Hegel.

Try shutting off and unplugging for a moment to possibly reset .

if not working after that just try running  and using the built in dac make sure connections are in good , one thing at a time.

Prior to the firmware update did the unit work as expected /pass a signal to the speakers?

When you rotate the volume does the front display have the word “damped” ?

Not familiar with the Hegel, but on my Eversolo DMP-A8 you have to select both the inputs and outputs you intend to use in the setup program to enable them.

Wen I bought a Mac c49 I selected the unit from the list of options in roon and even though roon recognized the model I got no output until my dealer found settings I had to change manually in the roon setup page. I went through a similar problem accessing my music library on my pc. Only saying in each of my issues the problems were software based and quickly fixed by people well versed with roon. 

Are you using an outboard DAC via the DAC loop function?  If so, all digital components must plugged into the Hegel inputs and then you must run a digital BNC cable to the DAC. 

I had a similar problem at one channel of my h590. I took it to a local service and they fixed it in few weeks. Hegel service center is in Texas. It might be very costly to ship the amp safely to Texas. Try to find a local service center first. Remove all the connection cables, Unplug the amp from power for 1 min, turn it on and perform a factory reset. Connect one source at a time, see it will work.

Thank you all for you suggestions. Unfortunately nothing worked.

I guess service center it is. 😒

Chocaholic, I was not using external DAC via DAC loop function. My Mytek Brooklyn Bridge is DAC with network connectivity, so I was plugging Ethernet cable to Mytek and from Mytek used XLR interconnect to Hegel XLR input with changing input selection on Hegel. Absolutely nothing worked. All roads lead to a conclusion that something is not right with output board on Hegel. If we disregard all the digital inputs, whe I connect my turntable using RCA interconnects to Hegel Analogue1 input, it is most straight forward signal path, and if that doesn't work, something is not right with the output signal path.

Hegel has a great FB page that is well Monitored by Anders and a couple other people. Ask your question there and I can  guarantee' you will get a response from very quickly 

All the best.

Curiousjim, thank you for your suggestion. 👍 Just joined Hegel FB and posted question 

Hegel is awesome, don't upgrade .

Yes it is Gris. I have been very happy with my H390.

I'm not going to upgrade/downgrade from Hegel, before I give it a proper try. I already have ARC REF 75 and my goal is to have active crossover and use Hegel for low frequencies, and ARC for mid/high feeding to my Magnepan 3.7i speakers