Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Yeah, today was also a Kenny Drew day, with Come Sunrise on the box now.

As @jdougs  says, “You can never get enough Kenny Drew”.

Can dark jazz "shine" this discussions a-bit?

I've recently started diggin there:

Bohren & der Club of Gore

Kilimanjaro Dark Jazz Ensemble

Manet!!

Thanks i will listen to it...

I liked DeFrancesco  recomendation a lot...

It seems different , it is not my liking normally but we must listen before judging...It is called nu jazz ...

Can dark jazz "shine" this discussions a-bit?

I’ve recently started diggin there:

Bohren & der Club of Gore

Kilimanjaro Dark Jazz Ensemble

@czarivey 

Im listening to Bohren & Der Club Of Gore, Sunset Mission and the first cut could be the background music in any old detective movie.

”I saw her walk by. She was on a mission and I was going to help her find her way”.  Actually the whole album could be the background music for Blade Runner 2049.

Kenny Drew is a favorite pianist of mine as well. His songs have been posted quite a lot here on JFA for the last few months and rightly so.

Every time the KD posts start up I always nominate KDs album "Undercurrent"

Not only is Undercurrent my favorite KD album it is also one of my favorite jazz albums and near the top of my desert island recordings.

Undercurrent (again)😊

Post removed 

@pjw81563 Definitely a couple of good ones there.  One that I don't see mentioned often and doesn't seem to get the love I think it deserves is Fantasia.

Good Morning Everyone!

Thanks for posting Kenny Drew. He's a piano player on a number of records I own. Until this thread, I wasn't familiar with his work as a band leader. Wow!

A specific, sorta-related thread question about Japanese re-issues. Are they considered sonically superior?

@wharfy I’ve heard they are due to being pressed on virgin vinyl. How true that is I can’t say. I do know I have been very happy with them. Some of the absolute best sounding records I own are from Three Blind Mice which are Japanese. YMMV

@jdougs Thanks for the recommendation. Listening to the album now.

Here is a song and check out this cool audio set up

@wharfy If I had to settle on a single Kenny Drew album (and thank goodness I don't) it would probably be Dark Beauty.  It's easy to find to stream.

@pjw81563 Playing it way too loud at my desk at work right now hoping the phone doesn't ring! haha

@jdougs I have the day off been on the road with my tractor trailer since Tuesday got back this morning at 5am and started listening to my music. I never stop listening because when I'm on the interstates I'm playing for hours.

Was listening to a lot of Arturo O'Farrill last night. Solo, trio, quartet, sextet, and his Afro Latin Jazz Orchestra.

A couple tunes

Arturo solo

trio

O'Farrill sounds to me like he was influenced by this guy

@jdougs -Thanks for the recommendation. Doing some research I saw Kenny Drew is accompanied by Niels-Henning Orsted Pederson on bass and Albert 'Tootie' Heath on drums. I have a terrific CD by Tete Montoliou, Tete-A-Tete, with NHOP and Tootie.  

Till which date is appropriate to wish somebody ~ happy new year? :--)

I can go on like this till summer! :--)

@mary_jo According to Larry David you're already 8 days past the appropriate cutoff date! 😂

@wharfy I see that’s on Steeplechase. I have yet to hear a bad Steeplechase album! I am slowly trying to collect most of them. It’s not cheap since I refuse to buy albums in less than NM unless they’re just so rare that I can't justify it.

Happy new year mary_jo

The right cut-off is just before 21 of June for ladies ... Then you are spot on in my book ...

Till which date is appropriate to wish somebody ~ happy new year? :--)

I can go on like this till summer! :--)

Thanks a lot....

Terrific pianist indeed...

I will investigate...

😊

I have a terrific CD by Tete Montoliou, Tete-A-Tete, with NHOP and Tootie.  

Tete Monteliu seems to me  as a spanish Bill Evans...

Same inspired lyricism...

I will definitely look for some among the 38 albums identified....

After 2 hours of Monteliu...

It remind me a lot of Bill Evans...

A bit less singing lyricist pianist but a more dancing rythmical one compared to Evans...

For me they are brothers near one another though very different ...

I think i will enjoy all Tete Monteliu albums as i loved all Bill Evans albums...

😊

Thanks wharfy

@mahgister -Totally agree! Tangential observation- NHOP has been the bass accompanist for Bill Evans.

@jdougs -Agree about Steeplechase. Many of Dexter Gordon's best albums are on the Steeplechase label.

Are there any clear recordings of Milt Jackson out there? Most everything I hear is sonically awful.  Flat and over modulated at the same time.

Post removed 

Thanks @acman3 

Listening to the album now it’s good. Clear and very three dimensional!

I am in my third albums of Tete Monteliu...

I am amazed that this fine jazz pianist was so underservedly not more well known...

I had many more albums in sight ...

mal desservi

Another piano player of note is Phineas Newborn.  Listening to No Moon At All now, but there are many others to choose from.

It seems not to be a so good thing to be a spaniard pianist after Bill Evans and Oscar Peterson...

In my opinion he is not so much far from them at all ...Even not far behind Keith Jarrett and he does not makes noise at all ... 😊

Why his name is such rarely mentioned ?

Only frogman knows for sure not me...

I had to listen 34 more albums i think anyway...

😁

While I’m usually not big on groups led by bass players, I’ve glistening to Niels Henning Orsted Petersen. The first album I listened to was Trio One and it was definitely what I expected, very bass heavy, but the second album,  The Trio, has Oscar Peterson and Joe pass in the trio.

Needless to say, it’s a good listen.

Stay warm.

@mahgister 

"and he does not makes noise at all ... "

Perhaps, in the not-so-distant future, someone will develop an AI tool that removes all the grunts, groans, moans, etc. from Jarrett's recordings ;o)

I like Jarrett with or without noise...

Anyway...  😊

@mahgister 

"and he does not makes noise at all ... "

Perhaps, in the not-so-distant future, someone will develop an AI tool that removes all the grunts, groans, moans, etc. from Jarrett's recordings ;o)

@mahgister 

Wish I could say the same.  Still, there are a handful that are not overly "ornamented" in this regard that I enjoy. 

There is many good jazz pianist indeed...

But as good not so much...

As i said for me he is the Spanish Bill Evans ...

Or the spanish Oscar Peterson... Not less ...

Not only his bass and drummer are exceptional but the sound quality let them be such ...

Dont upgrade your system... It exist at least 50 albums to buy ... 😊