Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

@stuartk Turrentine has always been one of my favorite tenors and Kenny Burrell belongs in any conversation of greatest jazz guitarist's just like @jafant Pat Martino.

Turrentine's Blue Hour and Burrell's Midnight Blue are both on my desert island list.

Two other Kenny Burrell albums that belong on any jazz aficionados "must have jazz guitarist's list's" are All Night Long and All Day Long. The title tracks of those two albums, All Night Long and All Day Long, clocking in at 17 plus minutes and 18 plus minutes, respectively, are alone worth it to buy physical copies of each.

As for Turrentine paired with Burrell I highly suggest Jubilee Shout and Hustlin'

I believe that this classic album was one of the favourites of our late OP, hope his in a better place now, sipping scotch and enjoying heavenly tunes in a great company of all jazz players there

Another one (would not bother you more) with Frank Morgan and Kenny Burrell

@stuartk 

Sad to say, Tin Tin Deo, doesn’t seem to be on Amazon or Qobuz, but I listened to the first two cuts on YouTube.

@pjw81563 

I am happy to say All Night Long, is on Qobuz and I am happily listening to it now.  What a great group of musicians!

@curiousjim 

Fortunately, Burrell's discography is quite extensive, so you should be able to find plenty of tasty offerings...

Am I the only one who didn’t know there was a “New” Oscar Peterson collection this year? “A Night With Oscar Peterson” It’s on Qobuz and Amazon Music. It also has 98 cuts!

What’s odd is it’s 24/192 on Amazon and 16/44.1 on Qobuz.

I’m listening to Yes! Trio, Spring Sings. I have never heard of these guys, but what a pleasant surprise for me.

Another new to me group is Hendrix Meurkens and the title that caught my eye is “The Jazz Meurkengers”.

Really diggin’ it.

I've listened to Meurkins several times. I personally struggle, for some reason, with Jazz harmonica, but do recognize his talent. Also struggle with Toots. It's on me not them. I will try again. Thanks!

@acman3 

Always a pleasure to hear Kenny Clark and Sonny Fortune. Did they ever play together?

Post removed 

@acman3 Thanks for that Sonny Rollins tonight show clip. That was a prime Sonny displaying why he is often called the best improvisor on saxophone.

Listening to a brand new album (2024).

Vid Sketa,  First Step.

Right up my alley.

@stuartk 

And PM has so many albums to choose from that you can listen to one every day and go a month or two without hearing the same one twice.😁

@curiousjim 

Having encountered some of his stuff that sounded a bit too commercial for my tastes early on caused me to give up on him but given his large discography, there must be other more straight-ahead recordings I might enjoy. 

Song X (youtube.com)

Not really commercial. PM is very diverse musically.

Listen to the way they communicate. DeJohnette, Denardo and Haden are very good.

@acman3 

I did 't mean to imply PM is essentially commercial. His recordings do cover a wiide spectrum.

@pjw81563 

Just got around to listening to the Soren Bebe Trio and this weekend, I’ll be listening to more. 🎶

Thank you for this one...

I read there is 5 albums by Soren Bebe trio...

I will go for him ...

😊

@pjw81563 

Just got around to listening to the Soren Bebe Trio and this weekend, I’ll be listening to more. 🎶

I like Soren Bebe trio  ...

It seems i always like scandinavian relaxing  jazz music... 😊

Listening to Warren Vache,  Dream Dancing. And maybe a few more titles.😁

I own 22 albums ... Half as sideman , Why not ?

He is good... To be precise, he is a bit better than just good... 😊

An interview with him :