Who has Luv for the Lyngdorf 2170 and is thinking about the 3400.

Hello All,
I’m coming up on 40 yrs in this hobby,and or obsession of ours,and I started with a pair of Khorns and Macintosh at the age of 12 and Offcourse owned a ton of different gear over the yrs.
I bought a 2170 a little more than 6 months ago and I enjoyed it so much that I quickly realized I don’t really need anything else,solid state,tubes,or even dac’s anymore.I could step off that silly merry go round of amplification and just enjoy music.I was able to utilize the extra money and time and put together a really great sounding network audio system that rivaled the best in analog that I have ever had,I was mainly a analog guy all of these yrs but finally gave it up,I even sold my longtime record collection of 3k records which included many Hot Stampers that I purchased and also several that I found on my own.

So who Luv’s the 2170 and is maybe also thinking about the new 3400.

Happy Listening,
Kenny.

kdude66
I will look at the relay one of these days,this is why I have always kept 2 complete systems,because of the nature of electronics,but for a amp backup all I have is a Octave audio tube integrated and I would have to use a Oppo with its built in Dac.😩.

Anyway,without the blessings from Terry London,I’m presently modding my Silverline Boleros with better caps on the Esotar tweeters,Duelund internal wire and more and better damping material,Eaisest speakers that I’ve ever worked on for sure.😃.

Since we are discussing the known issues that the 2170 has,I have heard from 2 other long term owners that they have a issue with the pwr switch on the back outboard of the pwr iec input.They have reported electrical arcing noises when using that switch at various times.

I never use that switch myself I just leave it switched on and if I take the 2170 out of my system I simply unplug it.I’ve seen several amps over the yrs that have done this,including Accuphase that I owned.

When I get around to modding my 2170,I’m going to wire the switch completely out of the circuit and add a better quality iec connector and may add a standard fuse holder to try out a tuning fuse of some kind.

Kenny.
Well, I made the decision to go for the 3400.  I switch speakers so often, I want to have the extra power just in case it's needed.  Plan on going through HiFiHeaven, unless someone knows a better US retailer.

I have listed my 2170 if anyone is interested, as well.
robelvick,
Cool going for a 3400,and let us know how you like it.

Would you know exactly how old your 2170 is,Lyngdorf does put a date of manufacturer on the board if you have ever had the top open.

You might give Tony Barnette a call,he’s the owner of Ellington HiFi in Alabama.He May be able to get you one the quickest.

Enjoy,
Kenny.
So tempted with the 3400, but the design is killing me, how could they make it so ugly, why not hide the connections on the front behind a door !? Not something I would show of in a living room, maybe buy it and hide it in a cabinet..,
And the Danes are supposed to know design, well I think they were sleeping on this one.
Agree that the 2170 has a more elegant appearance.

That said, I just ordered a 3400.
@gryphongryph

Thanks for the very insightful info...I think I will not buy it now based on your views on the looks of the unit. We need more posts like yours on Audiogon. Very encouraging!

I think the 3400 comes with a roll of 3/4 black tape to help hide the front connectors if not used.

Kenny.
Supposedly they are coming out with a new faceplate because of all the complaints lol
If anyone gets a 3400 and can't live with it's perceived ugliness, I will happily trade my beautiful, perfect, 2170 for it. And I won't even ask for any money in addition. ;-)
I think with CD use dwindling, people will take a USB drive with music on it to a friend's house to play, so a front port makes good sense.

Maybe I'll just keep my 2170 now.. WAF is always a top priority in my household.
Man if they at least had a door or something to cover up the USB port and black square in middle is kinda goofy lookin. That said I don’t really think it’s too ugly but agree the 2170 is a sleeker looking amp. 
I LOVE the look of the LTA stuff. I had it and the Lyngdorf in the room at the same time. It was really tough to send the LTA hardware back. I'm still thinking I may buy the MZ2 and the ZOTL10 just to play with it now and then. I keep trying to mentally justify it as "backup" hardware. The wife is waving the BS flag on that. She knows me too well.
“I think with CD use dwindling, people will take a USB drive with music on it to a friend's house to play, so a front port makes good sense.”And also a thumb drive to would be handy.

You silly guys,you know you want a 3400,I know I do.

Kenny.
I am enjoying the Teradak Linear Power Supplies @grannyring recommended. I'm going to send them to him and have him turn them into Terradaktyls in a couple of weeks. Should be interesting. They are powering my SOtM usb-exp and my iFI Micro USB. They have added detail to the high end but have had more influence on midrange and midbase. I'm getting a lot more goodness out of them than I expected.
Yes, richer tone and more full bodied without losing detail. Glare on some of those offending vocalists and recordings are now better right? Now wait to you hear them post mod. Now about your USB cables?
Uggh! My dealer who gave me a home demo for the 2170 (which blew my mind and made me take out the checkbook) is quoting $8939 for 2170 and $11900 for the 3400!! (I live in India now, where custom duties are high (18%), but not this high). Kind of sucks when an importer gets this greedy.
Reminds me of the Accuphase/(former) Luxman dealers in USA.

Might get one from a friend traveling to Europe sometime this summer. Which means a long wait. sigh!
That sucks, why not try and order direct, Danish vat is 25% and is taken of when sold to a customer autside EU.
Ofcourse the shipping is an other matter, not sure of the price to India.
The price for the full spec 2170 in Denmark is if I remember 29.000dkr about $4.700.

@grannyring that’s a pretty good description. But speed and tightness of the mid bass is what I noticed first. But my music selection is likely to have a lot more of that than most on this site. Plus I do have a sub with dual 15s and 4 more 12s in the ulfs. So there is a lot of low end capability. And correct on the mid-range vocals. My thought was they were more natural. Which is what I’m looking for. The fact this just keeps getting better is what amazes me. I’ve thought, this can’t improve, about 10 times now.
And we do need to discuss the USB cables.
I also just ordered the HDPlex 400 Watt LPS for my Music Server. That should be an interesting upgrade too.
Yes contact me offline on the USB cables. I make one that according to testers like kdude (Kenny) is as good or better in some systems than the Curious and Phasure LUSH. I have both the LUSH and Curious here. They are great USB cables.. great. My design has been preferred by a couple of testers and myself 😊

These LPSs are really a must for our digital front ends as they are more more organic and natural sounding. 
Can't say as I truly agree on the ugly statements about the 3400 imho.
If I wanted one it would definitely not deter me.
However I do not feel I truly need the extra power or the extra features that I am already covered with by other equipment.
Besides my 2170 is only about 3 months old, even I try not to upgrade quite that fast....lol
Curious to hear how the 3400 sounds with the built in media player used as a Roon endpoint compared to the Sotm sms-200 ultra.

I have a 2170 and am looking to either get a new Roon Ready streamer for it or go all the way and get the 3400 for the all-in-one solution. The latter of course is a lot more expensive so it needs to perform exceptionally well.
“The latter of course is a lot more expensive so it needs to perform exceptionally well.”

I couldn’t agree more,the only preliminary reports that I have gotten from actual owners of new 3400’s sound quite promising in comparison to their previous 2170’s as far as only comparisons in sonics but also keep in mind they don’t have anywhere near 500 hrs,and I would like to think the 3400 needs the same break in time that the 2170 does.

I’m not going to try one myself for a couple of months,to many outside spring projects right now,but when I do I will definitely give the good,bad,or ugly on it.

Kenny.
For those who have the 2170 / 3400, do you remember about how many hours it takes for break-in?

And did you feel the need to re-run Room Perfect after that break-in was done?
@mrppv

200 hours is the target, however in my experience, the 2170 really opened up at 80 hours, and just small improvements there on out.

Having a few different pairs of speakers, I’m always running RP (I don’t save the old measurements). I think re-running RP after burn-in is a good idea, and will have no negative effects.
Update on my display screen issue on the 2170. Lyngdorf is sending me the part to install myself for the fix. I told Them i did not want to ship and had the skills for DIY. Most impressed they are doing this. Very happy with their service! 
Good to know Grannyring!
Let us know how easy it is to change, most likely just a ribbon cable 
It's been a month and I'm still waiting for my 3400, but hopefully it will be here this Friday.  BTW I cancelled my order with Hifi Heaven.  The owner is an unresponsive, unprofessional, and immature subhuman. 

Why do you say that jcarcopo?
I have bought quite a number of items over last 5 years from them and never had an issue.
My 2170 came with a scratched top lid, I informed them and they organized a replacement top lid shipped to me direct from Lyngdorf.
Pretty clear why I said it, "The owner is an unresponsive, unprofessional, and a immature subhuman." 

Case in point, he purposely refunded me from two separate payment transactions exactly $.30 less than the original amount just to be a petty person. I didn't take the bait and retaliate. I let him keep the change to avoid opening 2 paypal disputes over his need to be a sore loser and a child.  He wasn't clear on the delivery date, didn't update me or clarify anything other than the item would dropship from the manufacturer, and was very slow to respond to my emails even when I was trying to pay the PayPal invoices and with all subsequent requests for information and updates.  I was warned by others after the fact that he was an untenable person to deal with and he lived up to those expectations.  I'm glad you had a good experience, I will say his employee was much nicer on the phone and customer service oriented than he was via emails which were short, curt.  He was very argumentative with me when I cancelled the order and I literally had to apologize and politely hang up in his face when I tired of his antics. 
Maybe I was lucky and never dealt with the owner direct, not sure tbh
Sorry you had a bad experience though, definitely not warranted in today's age of ever diminished hifi sales.
Not positive for a forward looking resaler
I have also had communication problems with HiFi, but only as much as delays. Not a huge deal, but 2 days in response times can be very frustrating. Especially when you’re eager to purchase new gear.

I will say that their trade-in policy is awfully generous, of course I was trading in almost new equipment. Helped me purchase my first 2170, which I could not have come close to affording at that time.

I did end up selling my 2nd 2170, but made the decision to jump off the Lyngdorf wagon for the time being, and am not pursuing the 3400. Just too expensive for my budget.
I would say that the 2170 and probably the 3400 need around 250 hrs to be at their very best,mainly related to the wonderful soundstage that they can deliver being truthful to the individual recordings.

Enjoy,
Kenny.
grannyring,

That’s some really good customer service on Lyngdorf’s part In sending you what you need to fix your display.
Please keep us updated on how it all works out.

Kenny.
@mofojo 

I originally wanted to try the 3400, but even after selling the 2170 I'm not even close to being able to afford one.

I could have sold off some speakers, but I decided to take the opportunity to try something I've had my eye on for a while... so I went with a Micromega M-100 instead.
Robelvick,

good of luck with your change please keep us up on your findings and comparison to the Lyngdorf.
@mofojo

I’ve had the M100 only a few days, but I was able to do some A/B testing with the Lyngdorf.

The M100 is a class A/B amp, with no digital conversion on it’s analog inputs, and a traditional DAC built in. Different beasts altogether.

The M100 does have a room correction software called M.A.R.S. but that’s on order from the manufacturer , so I can’t do any comparison with that and Room Perfect since my 2170 just sold.

I can tell you that I do not miss the 2170 whatsoever. In my room, with my speakers, I easily prefer the M100. More grip, more life, soul...whatever you want to call it. That’s just what I hear though. YMMV.

The three pairs I tested w/ both amps - Salk Sound: Songbirds, Tyler Acoustics: Linbrook, and Scansonic: MB-2.5. Maybe those three don’t pair as well with the Lyngdorf as they do with the Micromega.

Curious if anyone else has heard both amps? 
Robelvick,

I wish you also the best of luck with the micromega and do let us know what you think.

The micromega is a interesting class d Intergrated that has a high quality built in dac that will accept high resolution digital and it looks to be a really solid build quality.If I ever get the chance to hear one I definitely will.

As Time moves fwd I definitely think we will see more of these one box wonders that are highly musical and functional and not just “Lifestyle components” that have the higher WAF.

I always go where my ears take me but sometimes my wallet doesn’t back that up either.

Kenny.
I would like to talk about USB cables a little,now I know this subject is highly subjective and controversial and if I didn’t try some different ones in my system,I wouldn’t have found the perfect match in Synergy for my system.

I didn’t think in the beginning that a Digital cable would make any difference at all but I’m a firm believer now and after trying several in my system and there again for my preference in sonics I have found a couple of cables that present themselves in a natural pleasing manner and the icing on the cake is they won’t hurt your wallet to bad.

I was lucky and got to borrow a few of the more expensive so called high end ones,such as wireworld and synergistic research,but I found these cables to be quite brite sounding and really exaggerate the leading and trailing edges of notes with none or very little bloom to the sound.
I ended up buying one of the phasure lush cables and I have been comparing this cable with a custom made cable that grannyring is making and perfecting over several months of careful listening comparisons.

I do believe that they both compare quite closely and I could easily live with either one and I have no desire to try anything else at this point.

I usually do these cable comparisons by leaving a cable in my system for a wk or two and listen to all kinds of music,then I will swap and do the same and make my decision based on how well a cable balances out several different recordings in sonics and there again It’s all about overall system synergy and individual sonic preferences.

Enjoy,
Kenny.
I have two grannyring cables on the way. I have limited exposure to compare them though. Only BJC Cables, iFI gemini and Shunyata Research Venom. The BJC are nothing special, but the iFI Gemini makes the BJC cables sound great in comparison. I wouldn't wish the Geminis on my worse enemy. I love the sound of the Shunyata Research Venom. At $90 they are a heck of a value and I have them on both sides of my iFI Micro USB now. But I'm sure the aren't in the same class as the Lush. I wanted to sample the lush but if Grannyrings are similar, I am really looking forward to their sound. My Ulfberhts with the 2170 just respond to anything you change in front of them. That's a ton of fun for me.
bullitt5094,

You made a good decision and I think those grannyring cables will give you the sound you want.But as you know only one way to find out and let us know how they work out.

I’ve used the Shunyata venom and for me it was only ever so slightly better than a standard cheap usb cable in all sonic quality’s,no experience with the gemini though.

Enjoy,
Kenny.