Who has Luv for the Lyngdorf 2170 and is thinking about the 3400.

Hello All,
I’m coming up on 40 yrs in this hobby,and or obsession of ours,and I started with a pair of Khorns and Macintosh at the age of 12 and Offcourse owned a ton of different gear over the yrs.
I bought a 2170 a little more than 6 months ago and I enjoyed it so much that I quickly realized I don’t really need anything else,solid state,tubes,or even dac’s anymore.I could step off that silly merry go round of amplification and just enjoy music.I was able to utilize the extra money and time and put together a really great sounding network audio system that rivaled the best in analog that I have ever had,I was mainly a analog guy all of these yrs but finally gave it up,I even sold my longtime record collection of 3k records which included many Hot Stampers that I purchased and also several that I found on my own.

So who Luv’s the 2170 and is maybe also thinking about the new 3400.

Happy Listening,
Kenny.

kdude66

Showing 42 responses by mofojo

Anyone know if the 2170 is being discontinued and replaced by the 3400 or if the 3400 is just going to be higher up the food chain? I am very close to pulling the trigger on a 2170 but would hate to pay close to list then have it be discontinued shortly after. 
Thanks. The 3400 has peaked my interest. Just need to come up with a new funding plan ;-). 
I’ll keep my tube integrated for when I feel the need and possible second system upstairs with some bookshelves. I am running Jolida Fusion preamp with Odyssey amp. My room in the basement is just pretty bad. It’s an L and wood ceilings that are different heights. It sounds pretty damn descent at lower volumes. It’s when you crank it up it gets messy. Hoping the Lyngdorf will help with that. 
Haha. Yeah there won’t be much to pocket. My cables and such are pretty pedestrian. Most of what I currently have are components that were a couple grand when new. I could sell everything besides Speakers and sub and be a grand short on the 3400. I think I’m going for the decked out 2170. 
Yeah that’s one I need. Watch tv in the man cave through the fire tv. You get a deal when u get all 3. 
I’ve decided I’m pulling the trigger next week on the 2170 with Kennys’s dealer he recommended. Offered a fair trade in on a few items I have as well. Really hope it’s as great as many say. Pretty excited! I still have a big integrated tube amp for when I’m feeling Tubey. It’s 220v bought when I was living in Shanghai. Nobody would give me anything for it anyway. 
Yeah I just saw how to do that. Where can u see the amount of room correction it is applying? 
I have a 2170 on order as of an hour ago. I hope it’s as good as some of you guys say it is😀. Pretty excited to sell everything off and have a single box. 
Just got confirmation that my 2170 will ship from Denmark on Monday. That puts it in my hands maybe late next week. Waiting sucks! Will be out of town next weekend which also sucks. 
Came home from lunch and 2170 on the front porch! Damn wish I could blow off 2nd half or the workday😬
So yes I agreee the manual kinda sucks. So far sounds very listenable. More to come. 
Does the RP set sub and main crossover levels? I tried it and have way too much bass out of the sub. 
What kind of correction percentages are you guys getting? I am running 97% room knowledge and 20% correction. Is that in the ballpark with what others are seeing? 
I was using the suggested 15 for volume on the RP setup. Yes it was damn loud. 
I ran room perfect again last night after adjusting sub and mains crossovers to 45hz. I’ll hold my enthusiasm until I get some more days with it but for now I’ll just say “Wow”! 
One more question guys. Can I adjust the analog output level after running room perfect. The sub may be just a tad too high in output. MUCH tighter bass than I have ever had though. 
Well got some more hours listening last night after after being powered up for 24 hours. When using focus and sitting in the sweet spot it sounds like I am listening to some high end headphones with serious bass kick. You can wick the volume up and there is no fatigue! Sounds like I added a turbo. Transients are so fast and impactful. Just jumps out of blackness. The voicing for me is perfect. It sure don’t sound class d. 
My wife came down into the pit to hear the new black box that she was not happy to see on the porch. She listened to 2 of our tester songs and her statement was “wow it’s perfect” “you’re gonna keep it right”. 
Thanks to all the guys that have talked with me and reccomended the 2170, especially Kenny for the reccomendation to his dealer who was great even though our transaction was over the phone. 
Yes you should adjust the filters and then re run. I would set the crossover as low as your speakers can play safely and sound good at full volume you listen to. Maybe 70hz? Just a guess. 
I was watching a movie last night for the first time with the 2170 at the helm. Talk about crystal clear dialog. It’s so real and balanced it’s unreal. With my old setup I would always have the remote in hand ready to lower and raise volume between talking and action scenes. This thing just gives the perfect balance, can hear everything. 
Truly impressed on every level. 
Good to know. I’ll have to try that. I haven’t messed with any of the voicing at all so far. 
I may try one of the Remedy’s. My Node 2 doesn’t have USB out and I would like to stay away from computer for convienience. I have a VLink 192 between the Mac Mini and the Lyngdorf for when I want to play stuff off my hard drive. Seems to make a difference for the better. 
Curious if anyone has used a re clocker from their streaming device to the 2170. For example a Wyred 4 Sound Remedy with Bluesound as the streamer? 
Man if they at least had a door or something to cover up the USB port and black square in middle is kinda goofy lookin. That said I don’t really think it’s too ugly but agree the 2170 is a sleeker looking amp. 
Robelvick,

good of luck with your change please keep us up on your findings and comparison to the Lyngdorf.
Well couple hundred hour shift in the 2170 now. Ran room perfect probably 10 different times with different crossover settings, Speaker positions etc. Best I found was running the DIs full range in the position that sounded best before and setting the JL sub to 55hz.

It just sounds broken going from bypass to focus. It’s pretty amazing imo. 

On a side note some recordings that are voiced hot benefit from the soft voicing. Doesn’t sound soft just takes a tiny bit of bite off. neutral sounds best on most things. Anyone know if you can create customs eq and upload via usb? 

Thanks

I guess it probably depends on the speaker and amount of correction that is being applied. I am now getting 18% correction for Focus position. Not sure if this is in the ballpark or not to what others are getting. Bypass in my system sounds kinda distant, loose, and undefined compared to Focus and to a lessor extent global. In my room I couldn't imagine anyone picking bypass as the preferred mode. Of course as I mentioned I have a fairly bad room. 
You could stop by a music shop and buy some standard xlrs. Probably would only be $20 or so. I had Nordost Speaker cable years ago. Hated it. It sure changed the sound as promised. Nails on the chalkboard and no bass was not what I was hoping for. Put my el cheap stuff back in and life was good. 
Anyone had side by side with the 3400 and 2170? I know there’s some out in the wild now. Curious if it’s more of the same goodness and just more powerful or if there are notable improvements in sound quality. I can get on without the EQ manipulation “although I would like it” and the streaming capability. 
What exactly does HQ player do? Is it similar to Audirvana and Amarra? I really dig the sound quality of Amarra but it’s just so damn glitchy. Being on the market for as long as it has you would think they would have got it figured out. 
I am listening to the DI with the 2170 right now. As Bill said plenty of power for the DIs. I find the combo outstanding. 
I did the $300 upgrade. Can’t say how much difference it makes in sound quality since I’ve never heard them without it. If you got the $300 to spare I would do it. 
Sorry guy s off topic but I want to see if someone can help. Tried to do software update for the first time on the 2170. 
Put software on fat format thumb drive
turned of unit
inserted into sw update slot on back
turn on power amp while holding down the standby button.
update never happened and I tried several times.
to make things worse after 3 attempts the unit would not power up at all. No lights nothing. I thought it was bricked. Left it alone for about ten minutes and it came back on. Strange. 
Could probably get into a JL Dominion for around that price. I have the Fathom F113 and it’s pretty freakin fantastic. Heard the Dominion D8 and it’s really impressive for the money. One thing to keep in mind is a lot of money in the more expensive subs are going to be because of room correction/dsp. You won’t be using any of that with the Lyngdorf as I’m sure you know. 
Question for you Lyngdorf guys. If I add the SDA2400 to the 2170 do I lose resolution with the volume control of the 2170? 
My current speakers are freakin power hogs. I have to turn the 2170 to 0 to get the volume I want. 
Off topic a bit but this seems like a good place to ask. Has anyone heard the Lyngdorf speakers? Specifically the FR-1. Price is good. I like that they are designed for on wall and to couple to the room. Would assume they have very good synergy with the 2170 or 3400 as well. Hard to find much info on them. 
+1 on Tony. Great down to earth dude unlike some of the snobby d..ckweeds around. 
What you are describing is rather odd. It's an integrated amplifier and best used on its own. You can use the preouts and use the unit as a preamp through the analog out but to use it from a preamp to the 2170 to the power amp is not really possible that I can figure out. 
Did you try it on it's own before you want to try and go this route?