Who has Luv for the Lyngdorf 2170 and is thinking about the 3400.

Hello All,
I’m coming up on 40 yrs in this hobby,and or obsession of ours,and I started with a pair of Khorns and Macintosh at the age of 12 and Offcourse owned a ton of different gear over the yrs.
I bought a 2170 a little more than 6 months ago and I enjoyed it so much that I quickly realized I don’t really need anything else,solid state,tubes,or even dac’s anymore.I could step off that silly merry go round of amplification and just enjoy music.I was able to utilize the extra money and time and put together a really great sounding network audio system that rivaled the best in analog that I have ever had,I was mainly a analog guy all of these yrs but finally gave it up,I even sold my longtime record collection of 3k records which included many Hot Stampers that I purchased and also several that I found on my own.

So who Luv’s the 2170 and is maybe also thinking about the new 3400.

Happy Listening,
Kenny.

kdude66

Showing 10 responses by mrppv

This is troubling.  I'm about to order the 3400 (waiting for a final trade-in value toward it) and this is the first I've heard about reliability issues with Lyngdorf.  Also didn't know there was no US repair options.

I once owned another Danish integrated that had issues; for the last problem I had to send it to Denmark which was quite expensive.  I've been leery of foreign components because of that, but all the praise for the 2170 / 3400 made me curious and tempted.
@bullitt5094 - I'm trading in a different component (not a Lyngdorf product) toward the purchase price.  Some dealers will do that.
Agree that the 2170 has a more elegant appearance.

That said, I just ordered a 3400.
For those who have the 2170 / 3400, do you remember about how many hours it takes for break-in?

And did you feel the need to re-run Room Perfect after that break-in was done?
I've had the 3400 since early May.  Did not have the 2700, so I can't compare the two.

System was: Bryston BDP-2 -> Schiit Yggdrasil -> Ayre KX5-Twenty -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Vivid V1.5

Now the Ayre is a very well regarded pre, and it alone costs considerably more than the 3400, so I knew I was taking a chance when I traded it in toward the Lyngdorf.  I liked the Ayre a lot except for the loud mechanical volume control which I never got used to.  Listening mostly on shuffle, I change volume between almost every song.

Did room measurements after receiving the 3400, and again after break-in (about 300 hours).  As with most things in life, there was a trade-off.  Bass definitely improved with the Lyngdorf.  I feel like a little bit of air and dimensionality was given up though, compared to the Ayre + other components.

Tried outputting the 3400 analog signal to the Benchmark; tried digital out from the 3400 to the Schiit and back to the analog input of the 3400;  and digital out -> Schiit -> Benchmark (using the 3400 as just pre & room correction).  In my system, the Benchmark seemed to give little or no change over the 3400's amp.  The Schiit was harder to tell.  I think I would need to get the improved analog input module for the 3400 and test again. (the Yggdrasil really is an extraordinary DAC)

I'm using neutral voicing on the Lyngdorf... the voicing customization options (filter settings) are a bit confusing to me and I haven't really explored that, although it could end up making things even better.  Has anyone here has success with customizing voicing?
So I did end up getting the HQ analog input module for my 3400.

For me / my system / ears, feeding the digital signal from  Bryston BDP-2, to Yggdrasil DAC, to the new analog (XLR) input on the Lyngdorf sounds better.  The 3400 is still doing room correction, preamp, and amp duties.

Someday I'll try sending the digital signal directly to the 3400 again and see if I still feel the same way.
@bullitt5094

Yes, I know it re-digitizes.  It doesn't seem to make sense but I feel I got back a little bit of air and dimensionality using the Yggdrasil.

As I said, I'll try sending the digital directly to the 3400 again later on and hear how it seems...