Whats on your turntable tonight?

For me its the first or very early LP's of:
Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1
Just scored a bunch of $1 vinyl in the most unlikely place. A junk shop in Virginia City, Nevada. On vacation in Reno.

What makes these a standout apart from being in such an odd locale is the state of these records.

Unless my eyes are sadly mistaken they are all pristine and should play as new.

We shall see when I get home!
Uberwaltz 

congrats on the great score!  I spent the day listening to some jazz albums I scored a couple of weeks ago.  Pristine shape for $1 a piece, including some Blue Note OJCs.  Listened to Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Ugetsu, as well as John Coltrane - The Paris Concert (Pablo Live pressing) 
In no particular order:

Jimmy Reed - "the new jimmy reed album"
Ronnie Earl & The Broadcasters - "Soul Searching"
Big Walter Horton - "with Carey Bell"
Steeley Dan - "Pretzel Logic"
Joan Baez - "Diamonds & Rust"
The Byrds - "Sweethearts of the Rodeo"
Cat Stevens - "Teaser & the Firecat"

And when it arrives from Japan next week:  Michael Franks - "The Art of Tea" will be in heavy rotation.
16f4.

Thanks.

Some nice albums including Foghat, The Tubes, April Wine, Little Feat, The Kinks and more.

Will be getting airplay next week when I get home.
Rush - "2112"

Haven't played it in a while. Was my introduction to Rush and they became my favorite band for years to come afterwards.
@reubent .

2112 was a game changer for myself.

I read in our local music paper back in about 75 of the new Canadian upstarts, Rush, Styx and Mahogany Rush.

Took a chance and ordered 2 albums on import from our LRS at great cost back then for a young schoolkid!

I ordered 2112 and The Grand Illusion.

First couple times of 2112 I really did not get it and it had to grow on me until I realised it was one of the best things since sliced bread!

You have to remember I was brought up on a diet of pure English rock and metal, think Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Saxon, Tull etc.

All excellent but SO different to 2112 in every way.

But as I said a game changer as I then swallowed up North American music as fast as I could afford it!
@uberwaltz - 2112 was a game-changer for me too. I saw them on tour the following year and I couldn't believe it. Was hooked for life, even though I did not really enjoy the last 3-4 albums.

Have you seen the documentary - "RUSH - Beyond the Lighted Stage"? If not, check it out. Fantastic documentary and it will provide a deeper understanding of the "life and times" of the band and it's members.
@reubent 

I did not manage to catch them live until about 78 I think.

And no I have not seen that rockumentary, tbh I had not even heard of it.

Is it freely available on the web or do you have to buy it?
@uberwaltz - I see clips from the movie on YouTube, but I don't see the complete movie. I first saw it on PBS. Might be on Netflix. Might find it at your public library. You can buy it on Amazon for $16 or stream it on Amazon Prime. Worse case, I can send you my copy and you can return it after watching...
the documentary is IMO essential to a better understanding of Rush
even my wife loves it with added benefit of understanding when I crank up live Working man to insane levels in the garage!
uber, no slight intended but wayyyyy back when I was working the soundboard and mucking about with guitar playing brother in a local shop .....brother is just shreding it with a big Ampeg stack and this dude comes over turns off amp and says “ know any good Saxon man “......????

our inside joke for years....

not sure IF I will be North or South for Record Store Day...so I have not had my nose into what is going on....

what is on the must have list ?????
Grew up in Toronto and RUSH was huge in their hometown. It is nice to see Geddy Lee sitting on the front row near home plate of my Toronto Blue Jays games. Reminds me to crank some RUSH.
@tomic601 - There's a list of all of the RSD Exclusive releases for 2019 on the RSD website. I've looked over it a couple of times and I did not see a single record that I wanted to buy. Now, my LRS has a lot of other stuff going on for RSD and it's a blast, even without buying any of the year's RSD exclusives. However, I'm going to be out of town this year and I'm not really disappointed about it....
Tomic.

Very funny!  Saxon sounds just like that on their better days ... Lol.

@reubent .

I will search for it but if I cannot come across it at a fair price I may well take you up on that offer. Very decent and generous and much appreciated my friend!
@uberwaltz - Sure, no problem buddy. Just let me know. Hit me up with a PM....
Bill Withers - "Still Bill"

Music on Vinyl - MOVLP379 - Really nicely done. Sounds great......
 @reubent well of course there is an RSD website...duh....I am sloooow..

but I do have T. Petty - Hypnotic Eye on..volume creaping up....freaking fantastic, what a loss.....
@reubent .

Found it at $7 on eBay for 2 disc set so worth it to add to my collection.

Thank you for your offer and for bringing it to my attention to start with.
The lps that caught my eye on RSD are:

Frank Black's first two solo lps
Pink Floyd "Obscured By Clouds" mono/done by the same group who did such a wonderful job on the latest re-masters
"4-Way Street" re-mastered by BG and expanded
@tomic601 - So, did you see anything you want listed on the RSD Exclusive list for this year's Record Store Day?
@uberwaltz - Let us know what you think of the RUSH documentary. I think you are going to like it.....
Hiatt - Stolen Moments...minty fresh from Germany.....

God i love honest  sellers  on  Discogs....
@reubent given my small collection relative to most here, probaby 20 discs total... DEAD, 4-Way street, Tedeschi Trucks, etc...I need to slowly go back thru all 8 pages and put together a list....

having said that I have a hot date that day with  work on boat, which makes a vinyl habit look like childs play $ ( well at least my habit )... so who knows, I may not go at all....
Brandi Carlile - "by the way, I forgive you"

I have a love/hate relationship with this record. I love the songs and the performance, but I really dislike the SQ.
I was enticed to come over to an old guys house today. Said he had travelled through Africa and had records.  Turned out he was a hoarder with just a few albums I was interested in, but wanted way more than they were worth.  He thought everything was a collectors item...how do you deal with people like that?  Politely, but firmly, I suppose.  Got a couple of albums just out of curiosity and listened to them:
Martha and the Muffins - This Is The Ice Age
Alphavile - Afternoons In Utopia

Jan Garbarek Group - “Wayfarer”

This is music that hangs around in the air long after I raise the needle.  Just Beautiful and with just enough challenge/stimulation to engender reengagement.  Bass player, Eberhard Weber, is soooo good.  

I know now this isn’t really a record review thread but I just think this record is a wonderfully inspiring way to start a day of listening or whatever I’m off and about to.  

Also, SQ on vintage ECM, to me, sounds great through my 834P.  Maybe better than on some of the 180 gm re-issues.  
Hadn’t been keeping up with the thread for a couple of days and this morning what do I find; that most all of you guys are big rush fans like me.  Ok I will brag (just a little).  In the huge heavy rock environment during the early 70’s on the east side of the strange town of Portland, Oregon, me and a couple my spotty faced freshmen musician friends heard the first Rush album pretty soon after it came out when it was being played in our HS cafeteria during 2nd period by some older brothers of my friends’ on a crappy, school-issued player with the speaker(s) built in the side (remember them...?). Our jaws dropped.  ALL we had to that point was Sabbath, Purple, and maybe a little Saxon.  Priest wasn’t out yet.  Yes was too mellow.   Even 10 years after wasn’t heavy enough.  We liked stuff like Foghat, ZZ Top, & Zeppelin, but well, nothing besides Sabbath was heavy enough.  Montrose, Kiss, and Priest weren’t quite out yet.  Then we heard Rush.  

I haven't been to hundreds of their shows like some but my brag is that I’ve had every single one of their albums since the week or even the day they came out.  I agree in that the last few are not favoritesbut I still like them. I like the first 7 best.  

Rush - “ABC 1974”   The First American Broadcast.  Agora Ballroom, Cleveland, August ‘74. Back on Black 180 gm vinyl.  

So good good it makes my cry...
Simply delighted to find out you fellows are big Rush fans.  But it makes sense - I should have known - with the high level of appreciation for musicianship around here.   
 @bdp24 turned me on to this...

Desert Rose Band

Running
Pages of Life

both mint still in shrink for $12 bucks delivered, ha..

James Earl is up next...
 @reubent  

Record Store Day 2019

CSNY - 4 Way Street

Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks - Test Pressing

Fleetwood Mac s/t outtakes 

Humble Pie - Bootleg Vol 1

Albert King - Born Under a Bad Sign - mono

Pink Floyd - Saucerful

Stones - both

Tedeschi Trucks - High & Mighty 

Jeff Tweedy - Warmer

Robert Plant - Fate of Nations

Profile Harum s/t 50th Anniversary

Tony Joe White - Live in Austin 

Allman Brothers Band Bear

@tomic601 - Dang man! That's a haul. Good luck. Hopefully your LRS does not sell out of any of the records you really want.....
@jamesclarke that Jan Garbarek Group ks perfect..perfect for the mood..fog rolling in off the coast...

thanks

always learning new stuff from you guys...
Just received the remastered 1st album Roxy Music, warming up the tubes for a spin.
$20 on ebay, brand new.
@richmon I just hope they didn’t remaster the cover.  She’s so cute in that cheap sort’a way ...
 @reubent Go in with a big wishlist!!!!
i hate combat so I am also likely to show up the next day

@tomic601 - That sounds like a good plan. Last year, I showed up at my LRS at 6 PM. Worked out great for me....
In honor of this thread's unofficial RUSH Gush week..........

RUSH - "Moving Pictures"

The drums and bass on the opener - "Tom Sawyer" are simply outstanding. And it carries through the whole record. Love it!
Rough Mix ... Pete Townsend and Ronnie Lane.

First of my $1 Virginia City purchases.

It plays just as it looks, like new.
Not cleaned just wiped down and there is nary a tick or pop to be heard.

Mind also playing through a new to me phono stage. Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE.

Also could be helping with background noise levels.
King Crimson Red
Porcupine Tree In Absentia

Both sonically solid remasters. Vinyl Natch