SVS SB-2000 Pro/3000 vs. REL T/7x

Helping a friend put together a system.  A salesman of very reputable HiFi purveyor is suggesting the REL: 6db down at 31Hz @ $1099.  The SVS is 3db down at 19Hz at $799.  Both sealed.  SVS more than doubles REL's amp.  For less than REL's money could even bump up to the SB-3000.  What does the REL have that the SVS doesn't and vice versa?  I've looked through previous SVS/REL posts and I don't really see any compelling arguments for REL at this level, especially with DSP helping any single-sub placement these days.  Thanks!
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xsumadoggie
You have posted some specifications which supposed to tell bass response. But how does it sound? Specs only tell so much. Rel adds a lot more than just bass
It will make main speakers sound bigger and better
Specs DO only tell so much.  That said these are two very well known brands.  "REL adds a lot more than just bass" including price and an extensive dealer network.  Really... what does it add?  Other posts and opinions around the internetverse that REL is more "musical" and SVS might be better in an HT system doesn't really take into account that SVS can be extensively tuned these days, has a much larger power supply and plenty of people very happy with them in their audiophile systems.  REL at this entry point into their product line has less than half the power and no room correction.  Not everyone wants to crawl around their room searching for the best sub placement.  I'm sure REL are lovely subs.  I have dual subs (other manufacturer) in my 2 channel system, and dual subs (yet another manufacturer) in my HT system.  Neither of which are REL or SVS.  And neither of which are currently available on the market.  I wish REL owners the best enjoyment of their systems.  The question stands: does an SVS sub at $799 (or $999) have a price point per performance which is at least comparable to REL's offering at $1099, which lacks the power, extension and tech that the SVS does?  And what, if any, are REL's advantages... at that price point.
I gave an answer. But you aren't looking for answers are you? Maybe someone will come along and argue with you. 
You statement of what you think it does for main speakers says essentially nothing.  
I’ve owned a few Rel subs up to the S/5 level. I currently own an SVS SB3000 and like it better. I like deep bass and this sounds great with my setup. Would I like to hear the Rel S/812? Sure.

If your amp doesn’t have the sub out (many don’t) you will need something like the Russound speaker-to-line-level adapter to make things work. Compare these you mentioned to the Rythmik F12G which doesn’t have the app that the SVS has but "might" be better. I once had both and it was close but I like the phone app.

Good luck with your search. To answer your other question Rel has- great marketing.
Thanks for your very helpful answer. Hearing that the 3000 compares very favorably to an S-level REL is great info. I have seen posts on the Rythmik and am very curious.
Post removed 
I’ve had at the same time...sb3000 and sb1000 and T/9i.

The SVS subs are powerful and great for home theater.  Only ok for music.

when it comes to music...it’s no contest.  The REL t/9i is worlds better.
‘The SVS subs are hard to integrate, slow, sloppier and rumbling.
The REL is fast, nuanced, textured and way more musical.
Not sure why people ^ get their pants bunched up and call this post foolish.  I think its a great post.  I've only owned a REL sub and have often wondered. 
I’d recommend getting a pair of SB2000 Pros for $1500.  IMHO two very good subs trump one excellent sub through virtue of its better balance/evenness and ability to deal with room nodes, and the included integration technology is a really nice bonus.  Plus, getting down to a true 20Hz helps further improve imaging and expands the soundstage along with obviously providing a more powerful and solid bass foundation.  With SVS you have something like a 45-day truly risk-free trial period, so if you’re not thrilled just send them back — doubt you will though.  Best of luck. 
Love my PB 2000 pro. Have a couple pre-sets, one for jazz the other for rock. For my purposes it performs flawlessly and folds into my overall system quite nicely. The ability to tune it on the fly from the comfort of my chair depending on my mood is great. I've never heard the REL, but hear great things. I can only compare to subs of my past, Velodyne, EV (homemade) and Monitor. 
I know I say this often, but i pine for the days when I could go to a couple shops and let my ears be the judge. Specs and all are great and give clues, but paint an incomplete picture.  
"I gave an answer. But you aren't looking for answers are you? Maybe someone will come along and argue with you."....you got your answer more than once and you argue the responce..and you call me a troll, lmao...my pants are not bunched up as i dont really care what you buy as most from the lack of responce to your post but it reads you decided not to buy the better product and your trying to get confirmation of that decision...so again good luck

Interesting topic, but a shame some apparently don’t like the idea of differing opinions. Rel has established a strong name in the audiophile community.
By all means Rel seem to be the lesser product in terms of performance, by a significant margin. Money which in the case of Rel seem to go towards a nicer finish and more expensive, though less ideal amplifier type.

all that said it’d be interesting to see more comparisons.

Both sealed.

This is Incorrect. The T/7x is not sealed, it has a 10” passive radiator on the bottom of the cabinet.

I currently own SVS, REL and Rythmik subs. Used 100% for music. I would choose either SVS or Rythmik over the REL. Besides being cheaper the SVS and Rythmik give you more options for better integration with your mains.

REL will give you very fat bass, which sounds rather cool until you realize that’s not how bass actually sounds. Kick drum beats in real life don’t actually last as long as they do when reproduced by a REL sub. The SVS sub will be tighter, but a tighter sub can be more difficult to integrate because it will be easier to hear when the crossover frequencies are out of phase.