SVS SB-2000 Pro/3000 vs. REL T/7x

Helping a friend put together a system.  A salesman of very reputable HiFi purveyor is suggesting the REL: 6db down at 31Hz @ $1099.  The SVS is 3db down at 19Hz at $799.  Both sealed.  SVS more than doubles REL's amp.  For less than REL's money could even bump up to the SB-3000.  What does the REL have that the SVS doesn't and vice versa?  I've looked through previous SVS/REL posts and I don't really see any compelling arguments for REL at this level, especially with DSP helping any single-sub placement these days.  Thanks!
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xsumadoggie

Showing 1 response by audiorusty

Both sealed.

This is Incorrect. The T/7x is not sealed, it has a 10” passive radiator on the bottom of the cabinet.

I currently own SVS, REL and Rythmik subs. Used 100% for music. I would choose either SVS or Rythmik over the REL. Besides being cheaper the SVS and Rythmik give you more options for better integration with your mains.

REL will give you very fat bass, which sounds rather cool until you realize that’s not how bass actually sounds. Kick drum beats in real life don’t actually last as long as they do when reproduced by a REL sub. The SVS sub will be tighter, but a tighter sub can be more difficult to integrate because it will be easier to hear when the crossover frequencies are out of phase.