Step down transformer (220V to 100/110V) or buy 220V version of Shindo preamp

I really need to buy a Shindo preamp. a) Should I go for a original 220V Shindo preamp (harder to obtain, no local Shindo dealer here) or  b) get a 110/100V version from USA/Japan and use a step-down transformer c) Or get the Shindo dealer to alter the 110V to 220V.

questions:
1) At this level, is there sound degradation if I use a step down transformer?
2) The Shindo dealer will change the 110V to 220V but it will be done by a US tech not Shindo, I wonder if it will lead to some loss. Since soldering and change of resistor will happen. If that's the case I might just buy the 110V version from him.

Any thoughts on using step down transformer in general, does it lead to sound degradation?
essrand
If you want a transformer that has 120VAC at the inputs, then you want a step-up transformer. :)

If you want a transformer that has 220VAC at the inputs and provides 120VAC to the pre, you want a step-down.

Best,

E
About sound, if you use a fully balanced transformer, you may actually improve the overall sound quality.

Best,

E
I live outside the USA and have used two step ups for ten years with three amps and a dac without a problem. They are heavy and take up the space of a shoebox if that’s an issue for you. They can also produce a slight hum (not via the speakers but from the unit itself). Overall I’m very happy and can find no issues with using them. 
I am confused.
Do you need 220 or 110?
Though I haven't done it, I think stepping down from 220 to 110 would be fine. 
B
I ran a Japan voltage (100v) Luxman amp with a step down and it worked great. Just get a quality on with double the power rating your amp is rated at. That’s the power usually on the back of the amp as you want the usage power rate not the out put power. My class A 50wpc Luxman was happy on a 1500w step down and ran silent and cool. 
Post removed 
Sorry for the confusion, I used to live in the USA until last year, now I live in India, so it would be, 220V -> 110V or 100V (depending on whether I buy from USA dealer or Japan).

@erik_squires What is a balanced transformer?
@essrand

The type of transformer matters. Most step down transformers are also called autotransformers. They use a single winding to convert the voltage from 220 to something less.  More here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autotransformer

A balanced transformer has 2 separate windings, which offers better noise isolation and some ground loop isolation.

Best,

E
@essrand 

I have been in your same shoes: moving from US to a 220V country with my audio.

The 220>110 transformer will certainly work without problem, and what glennewdick said above is a good guideline. Whether this affects sound will depend on the quality of the transformer, I imagine.

Using a balanced transformer might be an opportunity to treat the power you feed the pre additionally to going from 220 to 110V.

I had an amp changed to 220V by my US dealer before moving. The amp transformer had 220V taps so it was easy work. Still use it 10 years later and sounds great.

Lastly, check the Shindo owners manual if you haven't yet. My Lamm pre was prepared for multiple voltages. When I moved I simply had to take out the 110V fuse, buy one for the 220V rating and place it in the 220V position and that was it.
@erik_squires 
"About sound, if you use a fully balanced transformer, you may actually improve the overall sound quality."

Can you recommend a company in the U.S. That makes such transformers?
thanks 
Equi Tech is the name most often seen in audiophile circles, not sure if they have step up / step down versions, but worth checking... :)

They are much more expensive than the autotransformer version due to the raw materials involved.

But also use google. I found an interesting link like this one:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/240_117/240_117.html

Best,

E
Other brands of balanced power include Furman and Tripp Lite, but the latter is usually the inexpensive kind.

There is nothing at all wrong with autotransformers by the way. They just don't have the noise blocking of a fully balanced unit.

Best,

E

I am confused.   why 
step down transformer will degraded sound if my source power come from $6000 USD power conditioner?

do I still need noise blocking of a fully balanced unit?

@ayc868 A transformer theoretically reproduces in the output all  the noise in the input.  In practice, not quite but I don't recommend a transformer as a power conditioner.

Hopefully your $6000 power conditioner is a rectifier/inverter and doesn't try to "filter" the noise out.

Jerry

Many Shindo preamp utilize 100V-120V dual primary winding, it can be configured for 100V, 120V, 220V or 240V mains voltage.

My power conditioner is unknown(I do know I need it for better sound) whether is a rectifier/inverter and doesn’t try to "filter" the noise out. For 100V(Japan gear), What kind of audio grade step down transformer? How to connect to get the best sounding?

thanks