13’ x 10’ room

Has sound treatment

Gryphon is dark

Currently use KEF R3 Metas -- still too dark

must be standmount

Have 2 KEF KC62 subwoofers already in room

B&W 705 S3?

ullogu1

@gryphongryph - I’ve read good things about those Belles amps. I’ve always been intrigued with Graham speakers. Can you share what you feel the sound signature is of your Graham speakers?

i have diablo 120 paired with Revel Performa F228Be, and it is a great match - beryllium tweeter compensate for the darker nature of diablo 120. If you want stand mount, maybe you can try Revel F126Be

@bluethinker 

Sweet!

Although

I went through the 5 phases of not getting a system photo from you (and when I see your name, I don't feel the urge to bug you). It made me stronger devil

@grislybutter - I owe you a system photo. The last few years have been a whirlwind. I promise to get a photo up soon.

And you are right. I did win the lottery! 

re

Gryphon 120 with Dynaudio Heritage Special speakers to the QLN Prestige 3 driven by a Conrad Johnson Classic 120 

but you already won the lottery wink

No, sorry to disappoint you, running Supratek Cabernet pre into a Belles Class A power amp. Used to have QLN Signature speakers a long time ago, I was in a lengthy email conversation with the designer when he started the QLN brand again.

Had a good offer on the new Signature model, but chose to go the BBC line of speakers with an other designer I admire a lot, mr Derek Hughes and his Graham Audio LS 5/9.

Maybe one day I will have an other QLN, and a nicer person than mr Mats Andersen you will not find, a true gentleman.

ps. My old QLN I can still listen too at my brother’s house and they still sound very nice.

@gryphongryph - Based on your handle, is it fair to assume you also have a Gryphon amp? If so, may I ask what your system consists of? 

@gryphongryph - I switch back and forth every few months between the Gryphon 120 with Dynaudio Heritage Special speakers to the QLN Prestige 3 driven by a Conrad Johnson Classic 120 paired with an LTA Microzotl preamp. 

Dac is the Merason dac1 mkii and the streamer/server is Innuos Zenith mkiii. 

I can’t decide which pairing I like better. Both are pretty much end-game for me unless I win the lottery. 

@milpai - Great question.

One of the reviews on the Gryphon 120 was done by the amiable “Pursuit of Perfect Systems” English reviewer. He references the dark quality of the treble in the review, below. I feel his review is absolutely spot on, by the way.

https://www.pursuitperfectsystem.com/entry-level-gryphon-the-diablo-120-integrated-amplifier-review/

But what exactly is that dark quality mean in my experience?

When I connected the amp to my QLN prestige 3 speakers, which are incredibly balanced and relaxed, the treble sounded like it went down an octave. The highs were muted and the treble energy was diminished. The air on the high frequencies was muted and recessed. I was somewhat disappointed because the QLN speakers have been my reference speakers.

Due to circumstances, I had a pair of Dynaudio Heritage Speakers in the house that I wasn’t using as frequently. Why? Because I felt they were a little tipped up on the treble compared to the QLN speakers. But when I moved the Dynaudio Heritage into position with the Gryphon 120, the synergy was immediately evident.

I will back off from my soapbox now. Just sharing my experience and enthusiasm for the amp when you pair it with a complementary speaker.

Monitor audio pl100 maybe? I used to own harbeth shl5+ 40th and don't think that's a good sunc. Or maybe the new gold 100 6g

@ullogu1

You are not a disappointing person at all. But your words "dark" probably means something different than what I might have thought. This thread asks for speakers for a "dark amplifier". Does it mean that the designer did not want a neutral sound and instead designed a "dark amplifier"? Strange.

In any case, I spent about 20 minutes with a Focal Electra bookshelves in 2016 and they had tons of top end. Might be that would be a choice to bring some light to your darkness. I think  @arnoldo is indicating the same.

@bluethinker,

I am not sure I would want a dark sounding amplifier in my system. I generally like neutral. Please explain me "dark sounding". Any Youtube video link that might make me understand the difference? I know if would not be hifi sound from Youtube, but might give me a bit of an idea.

You’re looking for a hot tweeter. Look for something with amt or ribbon tweeters. 
Dynaudio, Harbeth or any British speaker probably not a good fit. I’d look seriously at focal. Maybe even audio vector. Good luck. 

@soix - I honestly don’t think cables are the answer for the dark character of the amp. From experience, I 100% feel it’s a speaker pairing issue. 

@milpai - I wouldn’t call it “looking for a bandaid.” 

It’s just about pairing it with the right speaker. Once you do, you understand why Gryphon amps are respected. It’s a fantastic amp. 

@ullogu1 did you look at Gryphon reviews and look for what speakers they used? They usually have access to many speakers and will likely come up with a good match. I would think that Danish speakers will fare better.

I'm sorry to be such a disppointing person to some of you

You’re not disappointing anyone here, and in fact we’re just trying to help.  If you don’t agree with some of the suggestions being made that’s fine.  The thing is, the KEFs aren’t dark sounding speakers so it’ll probably be a tough ask to find speakers that are bright enough to counteract what you feel is the amp’s sonic signature.  Another way to go might be to try different cables — what speaker cables/interconnects/PCs are you using now?  It’s possible that adding something like silver interconnects could inject some of the air/sparkle up top you’re currently missing.  Just another idea FWIW, and best of luck in getting where you’re looking to go. 

I'm sorry to be such a disppointing person to some of you sad. This amp is detailed, dynamic, great soundstage and imaging. I have a phono stage built-in that is fantastic for me. It's a great amp...

except a bit dark.

Looks like were at Pulsar, Focal, Dynaudio, and B&W for the moment

I'm using Focal Electra1038 speakers with my Diablo 120 and think they match great.  My Focal's are known to be bright with the beryllium metal dome tweeter and I found can be bright/fatiguing with solid state amps but with the Diablo 120 sound great. Find them very good for low level listening, very detailed.

+100 @soix 

Looks like the Gryphon 120 owners seems to look for bandaid instead. And the following statement confirms this:

Without that complimentary speaker in place, it’s as if the treble energy got turned down by a hidden soundboard master who had too many beers the night before.

I’ve now owned or demoed Pass Labs class A, Luxman class A and AB, Conrad Johnson, Audio Hungary, Rogue amps at my house. The Gryphon 120, in my limited experience, is the overall best sounding amp I’ve had here. It’s simultaneously the most detailed and dynamic amp I’ve personally experienced when matched with a complimentary speaker. It has a propulsive quality to it that is pretty addicting. 

Without that complimentary speaker in place, it’s as if the treble energy got turned down by a hidden soundboard master who had too many beers the night before.

If the Gryphon sounds dark to you, why are you trying to fix it with bright speakers?  I’d look for an amp that doesn’t sound dark to you and then maybe your KEFs will sound great.  Why are you bending over backwards to accommodate this amp?  Just move on.  

I have the Diablo 300 which is similarly dark, a little more neutral, I have a pair of MoFi SourcePoint 10s, the sound is rich and detailed, the top end frequency response of the 10s is a bit hot so the pairing is synergistic in the best sense of the word. My other speakers are B&W 804 D4s, very different speaker but similarly hot on top and similarly synergizes with the 300. Funny aside, as a previous commenter mentioned, this forum is definitely anti-B&W, and yet in my system I've been happiest with the 2 pairs of B&Ws I've owned compared to anything else I've had, and I've had (for example) the Dynaudio Heritage Specials, which I liked but ultimately sold. They paired well with the 300, and would perhaps therefore be a good option for the 120, but they are only 85db sensitive so not particularly easy to drive.

I have heard great things about the Pulsars and I see them occasionally available around the $4000 range. I've never heard these. Do they havethe treble energy required? I'm sure with a Hegel it would work- but with the Gryphon?

@ullogu1 - The Dynaudio Heritage Specials are anything but dark. They’re super open and detailed. They are great speakers. I recommend reading the reviews on them with are consistent with my experience with them. 

Paired with the Gryphon, the sound is open, balanced, detailed with great bass. I’ve sat listening to the pairing incredibly immersed in the music. The pairing of the Gryphon 120 with the Dynaudio Heritage is straight up wonderful. 

Agree with GB. Joseph Audio Pulsar’s are one of the best stand speakers on the market. Unfortunately, a pair of used mint condition Pulsars are extremely difficult to find. 

Consider B & W 805 D3 or the newer 805 D4. I know there isn’t much love for B & W on this forum. However, they build a nice speaker. Personally, I prefer the 805’s compared to the Heritage Special 40’s. I have a CJ amp, preamp, and Lampizator DAC. 

I love Harbeths(I've owned P3ESR and 30.2) but I don't think they'll work here. Never heard Focals but given what others have said they may be a good fit. The Dynaudios...maybe...never heard this model but I used to have C1 Platinums and they are dark as well. Perhaps this isn't the right amp for me?

Have you guys listened to the Gryphon Diablo 120 amp in your own system?

It's seriously dark on the top end and really isn't a match with a speaker unless the speaker is a little hot on the treble. My QLN Prestige 3 speakers are super balanced, but didn't sound good with the Gryphon Diablo 120. 

Once paired with the right set of speakers, it's pretty much an end-game solid state amp for me. It sounds really good and has a bit of a tube amp signature. 

I have a similar room size and listen to rock, jazz, classic and pop. The Harbeth 30.2 to an excellent job if you like the English monitor sound . They have been a recommended speaker by stereophile for many years and one of the best stand mount in this price point . Easy to listen , accurate reproduction of voice and instruments and very versatile. The bass is bang on but not as deep as floor standers. Your integrated would drive them easily . Good luck 

Maybe try to listen British speaker, they tend to be very nice on top end .

Harbeth , Graham, Stirling 

@milpai - I’ve demoed some proac speakers. My sense is they don’t have enough treble energy to compensate for the dark nature of that amp. My two cents. 

@ullogu1 - It’s funny you happen to ask this question, as I just went through this myself. I saw a used Gryphon 120 come up for sale used from a dealer and I jumped on it. Initially, I paired it with my QLN prestige 3 speakers. The synergy didn’t work, as the Gryphon 120 has a dark character on the top end. 

I switched in my pair of Dynaudio Heritage Specials speakers and they sounded absolutely fantastic with the Gryphon 120 amp. The Dynaudio Heritage Specials feature one of Dynaudio’s top end tweeters, so there is a lot of focus on the upper frequencies. 

When I listen to that pairing, my urge to upgrade or tweak equipment sort of goes away. I’d read somewhere that Dynaudio tends to be synergistic with Gryphon. I was fortunate to have a pair of Dynaudio speakers, so I got lucky. 

Can’t recommend that pairing highly enough.