SOUTHWEST AUDIOFEST 2024

I attended with Infigo Audio. I had a great time. Anyone else attend? What are you thoughts what would you like to see in the future. What were your thoughts on the systems you heard?

calvinj

Greg Weaver posted a few pictures.  The picture of the marketplace got to me.  Very little merchandise in that huge space.  Last time I was at RMAF in 2017, the marketplace was huge with tons of merchandise for sale.

I was there in a professional capacity to network and discuss business, but I also had plenty of time to visit every room at least once and many twice or three times.

This show was considerably smaller than a number of audio shows I’ve been to in the past. Maybe half the size of Florida expo and 1/4th or 1/5th the size of AXPONA. Despite the lower number of exhibitors, there was an equally lower number of attendees, so it never really felt too crowded. Never once did I have to wait long in any room to be able to sit in the sweet spot. As a first year, I understand the organizers likely had a hard time acquiring exhibitors and attendees, but I am hopeful it will scale in subsequent years.

Usually in most shows, I hear 3-4 systems that really knock my socks off. The rest are a mix of pretty good to not great, likely due to poor setup or gear that’s not broken in. For this show, I thought most rooms sounded better than previous show averages, and it was nice to spend time in many rooms. It might be that the rooms in Dallas are slightly bigger (Texas sized!), or exhibitors generally put more effort in the setup. There were still some rooms that had challenges, though. 

Some highlights include:

Audio Group Denmark room with the Borresen M1 on the 12th floor. I continue to be impressed with the dynamics and performance of these $100K monitors, with the help of the newer Ansuz electronics. It’s the third show I’ve heard them since FLAX 2023 and they never fail to disappoint. 

Synergistic Research in the Presidential Suite was quite impressive. It’s a bigger room than they typically have, and the new Magico S3 sounded absolutely huge in there despite its smaller footprint. It was my first time hearing the new Voodoo servers, and as an SR dealer I even had the honor to demo and A/B some of the features of the server for a handful of folks one day.

Acora and VAC were up to their usual business, taking up a massive room and filling it quite well. This room won for the deepest soundstage past the speakers. I wish the lower frequencies were just a tad more impactful, but the ceilings were crazy high (30ft perhaps), but the new Acora VRC speakers were impressive to say the least. 

The room with YG and Constellation also sounded really good, and well set up where the system was set up diagonally to a room. The synergy of Constellation and YG was a great one, and the Vicoustic treatments were also very well done. 

Bella Sound amps were worth drooling over and presented just beautifully, but I felt they were being conservative with the volume levels and the Clarysis speakers used (not the largest ones) didn’t quite fill the space enough. 

One qualm I had was that besides the Acora and VAC room, I didn’t hear many setups that had a very deep soundstage that went well beyond the speakers (I mean more than a few feet beyond). Otherwise, mostly everything was enjoyable. 

There were lots of great industry people there, too, and it was wonderful to meet so many people I’d either seen or known about through reputation but never had a chance to meet in person. 

@calvinj Do you know if Infigo Audio amps are based on the prototype amp that was used for the Resonessence Labs DAC demos at the Los Angeles audio show around 2016? 

I work with them of course I know. The prototype improvements were demoed up in Dallas for a group of my audiophiles friends in 2018 and they were blown away and that’s how Hans and I started working together. He is an great Amp Designer pushing the limits of what’s possible 

The Dallas show will grow and improve. Not bad for a first show. The organizers have open ears and next years bill be even better. The hotel had big rooms.  The staff was great and the location was perfect.  So much to do in and around the area. Its was good to be able to go to all the rooms because the number was not overwhelming. 

blisshifi,

I don't think Bella Sound's room had Clarisys speakers. The speakers were Analysis Audio Ribbon Planar speakers. 

Post removed 

@yyzsantabarbara we ended up meeting because resonessence but right after they shut down. I started in this journey with him. Hans is an amazing designer and created amazing gear at infigo. 

@calvinj I thought the prototype amp sounded great with a very old speaker they used. They wanted a so-so speaker to show how good the amp (and DAC) could sound.

@ricred1 Ah! Thanks for the correction! They look so mighty alike, in design and shape, even with how the logo is placed beneath. It was a dark room, though I did spend a good 30 min or more listening. 

blisshifi,

It was one of my favorite rooms at the show, so I took a picture of the speakers. 

@yyzsantabarbara one of the things we run into. Is that the give the speakers the credit when most of it is the electronics. 

So... why does TX need 2 audiofests?

Lone Star AudioFest in June, and Southwest Audiofest in March????

Especially, when one is just getting started... with little attraction?

What am I missing?

I enjoyed SWAF. There was a good variety of products/systems showcased. The hotel is a great venue for an audio show with a very spacious lobby, large rooms and fast elevators. The number of attendees was really low. The headwinds being weather, St. Patrick’s Day, probably promotional. I hope they come back next year.

What I thought was interesting the new compact range from Soundlabs. They sound really nice. There was no mid-bass bloat in such a small room.

Voxativ demonstrated the return the Ampeggio. A rare move in audio, the new price is reduced is $14k, much less the old ~$30k. The demo pair was only $6k!

Ayre demoed their separates with a YG Summit Speaker. Big thumbs up.

Songer Audio had a SET powering their S1x speakers along with a Lampizator Poseidon DAC and I think an Innuos Statement. The sound was special. I like speakers without tweeters in a way. The dynamics and tone was quite something. Unfortunately The ’x’ is $45k, instead of $37k. German Physiks with Accuphase was awesome. I would like to hear these speakers in a better room, though. There some upper midrange and bass issues in a number of rooms.

My favorite was probably Daedalus with LTA electronics. I am saving my money. I think Daedalus Apollo 11 may be the best regular, wood-cabinet, multiway dynamic I know. LTA is affordable and was just terrific in tone, resolution...you name it.

@bassdude it just allows people different flavors. Seems like people get to hear all kinds of different gear. Lone Star also has more hobbyists as well. The more the merrier in my eyes. The weather was also pretty bad as well. Stormed Friday and Saturday bad. 

I think they will invite more vendors next year. I also think that they are adding 2 additional floors so I think it will have another additional 25 to 40 rooms showing next year. Not bad for first year. I think it will grow bigger 

I especially liked the Daedalus room as well (I have older DA-RMa speakers); I agree LTA electronics were superb. Would like it if they produced a DAC that will also DSD (I didn’t have a chance to inquire). 

Lone Star was a very small, audio get together. If you wanted people to hear your system you could rent a room and set it up.

I had fun there, but I heard more equipment last weekend than I had heard before. It was eye opening to hear the different brands I had only read about here. Somewhat hard to tell the effects of individual equipment to the room sound, but very interesting and a blast.

Loved that most systems were set up well for small rooms. The Acora/VAC room was impressive, but too loud for me, but it was a huge room. Hearing the Borresen M6 was really special! Some of the LG rooms were really Brite sounding, especially the Ayre room. Others with Soulution sounded great.

I was going to camp out at a few rooms on Saturday, but I am recovering from a broken ankle and overdid it Friday. I look forward to next year and may fly to a show somewhere.

Calvin,  I liked your room. We met at Lone Star last year I believe. Infigo always sounds good and you were fired up about music!

My kinda guy.

I had the fortune of going to Capital audio fest last year. My first experience attending an audio show. A bit crowded though nice selection of gear. 

I prefer quality over quantity. I will never do Axpona. Granted. Some reputable companies at Axpona - though it’s a circus. I hope to go to next years show in Dallas. I agree that it will only move forward and gain momentum. 

@acman3 we will be at Axpona as well as the Lone Star Audiofest in June. I will be showing Infigo with my Gato Speakers in June at Lone Star 

I agree. I felt capital audio festival needed 4 days, and that’s a heck of a lot less attendees. 

I’ll go to Chicago for the architecture, food, and local culture. That suits me well 

if you enjoy Axpona. By all means. Have a awesome time ✌🏻

@jred axpona is too big for my taste.  It has everything system wise which is almost too much.  So many people. Cant take your time engage and listen to the songs you wanna hear. 

Post removed 

@acman3 anytime audiophiles can get together is a good time.  I like the smaller shows because you get to engage more with people. 

Hey Calvin, Look forward to hearing your system. 

Just so you can remember me, I was the old guy with the grey hair. 

Just so you can remember me, I was the old guy with the grey hair. 

That should be easy to remember 😃

I thought SWAF was a decent inaugural event. As to the venue, next to the Rocky Mountain Gaylord where the now defunct Rocky Mountain Audio Fest was briefly held, the Anatole is the nicest audio show venue I've seen, including the Renaissance in Chicago. The rooms at the Anatole must be decent for audio because so many systems sounded really good, better than I've experienced at other hotel venues.

One thing I do hope for next year is for more of the main line manufacturers to show up, such as Polk, Focal, Revel, Sonus Faber, Martin Logan, Dali, Paradigm, as well as others.

I couldn't get over the great sound of the Borresen X-6 system, given its price.  I'd agree that the Daedalus system sounded so nice and that I could listen to those speakers for a long time.

Lone Star Audio Fest will be held June 7-9, 2024 at the Embassy Suites Dallas Galleria.

@mtrot i will be out there. Will,have infigo with gato speakers.  That’s my home system.