Musetec (LKS) MH-DA005 DAC

Some history: I was the OP on a four year old thread about the Chinese LKS MH-DA004 DAC. It achieved an underground buzz. The open architecture of its predecessor MH-DA003 made it the object of a lot of user mods, usually to its analog section, rolling op amps or replacing with discrete. The MH-DA004 with its new ESS chips and JFET analog section was called better then the modified older units. It has two ES9038pro DAC chips deliberately run warm, massive power supply, powered Amanero USB board, JFET section, 3 Crystek femtosecond clocks, Mundorf caps, Cardas connectors, etc., for about $1500. For this vinyl guy any reservation about ESS chips was resolved by the LKS implimentaion, but their revelation of detail was preserved, something that a listener to classic music especially appreciated. I made a list of DACs (many far more expensive) it was compared favorably to in forums. Modifications continued, now to clocks and caps. Components built to a price can be improved by costlier parts and the modifiers wrote glowingly of the SQ they achieved.

Meanwhile, during the 4 years after release of the MH-DA004, LKS (now Musetec) worked on the new MH-DA005 design, also with a pair of ES9038pro chips. This time he used more of the best components available. One torroidal transformer has silver plated copper. Also banks of super capacitors that act like batteries, solid silver hookup wire, 4 femtoclocks each costing multiples of the Crysteks, a revised Amanero board, more of the best European caps and a new partitioned case. I can't say cost NO object, but costs well beyond. A higher price, of course. Details at http://www.mu-sound.com/DA005-detail.html

The question, surely, is: How does it sound? I'm only going to answer indirectly for the moment. I thought that the MH-DA004 was to be my last DAC, or at least for a very long time. I was persuaded to part with my $$ by research, and by satisfaction with the MH-DA004. Frankly, I have been overwhelmed by the improvement; just didn't think it was possible. Fluidity, clarity, bass extension. A post to another board summed it up better than I can after listening to piano trios: "I have probably attended hundreds of classical concerts (both orchestral and chamber) in my life. I know what live sounds like in a good and bad seat and in a good and mediocre hall. All I can say is HOLY CRAP, this sounds like the real thing from a good seat in a good hall. Not an approximation of reality, but reality."

melm

I have wound up with a tube system, but for the Musetec,  Although with its twin JFET analog circuit it probably sounds as much like tubes as a transistor circuit can. 

Just by chance, rather than by theory, I have found value in the tube components I have.  I came to tubes rather slowly.  I do think though that it's good to have tubes somewhere in a system and the preamplifier is perfectly positioned to be the place.  Moreover preamps use small tubes which are inherently more stable than power tubes.  That makes owning a tube preamplifier not much of a burden.

@lordmelton asked:

"Maybe it’s too early to compare but how does the AR stack up against the Furutech?"

I have to put more time on the Acoustic Revive RAS-14 Triple-C to answer the question. They both however make a positive difference & they are both good. IMO Furutech’s approach was to clean up the ground where AR’s isn’t. The reason I say that is when running the Furutech into the power amp I couldn’t use my ground filter with it without dulling the SQ a bit. That is not at all the case with the AR. In fact it sounds best in combination with my ground filter. That is "first impressions" however & I'll report back after getting more time with it. 

Tubes have coloration and distortion to varying degrees. Most certainly the same can be said about transistor sound ...  I find tubes more “natural “ and realistic “

Same here. The best of today's vacuum tube gear is very neutral - it's not at all like the lush, warm, "tubey" sound of days gone by. For example, compare a modern ARC Ref 5 or Ref 6 to an ARC SP-3 or SP-6.

I wish that were not the case, because tubes are an inherent maintenance item. But I haven't found anything to equal ARC gear in my system.

@lordmelton 

You are clearly entitled to express your impressions and opinions just the same as everyone else posting on this open forum. What makes these open audio forums stimulating and often informative is the wide spectrum of different experiences express by members. Tube versus the transistor is about as common a topic as any you’ll find in audio discussions. 

You have contributed numerous interesting viewpoints and perspectives which I suspect many appreciate. You do seem to become rather thin skinned and defensive (My perception anyway) with those who have opposing comments. High End audio is about as subjective as an endeavor could possibly be.

You have owned valves/tubes but find that your preference is solid state, that’s good for you. I’ve owned solid state components yet I find tubes the superior choice for me. Tubes have coloration and distortion to varying degrees. Most certainly the same can be said about transistor sound. We all at some point decide which one we find least compromising for our own needs. 

I am familiar with Spectral products and my listening impressions are different than yours. No big deal. You probably find solid state more “accurate “ than tubes, that’s your call. I find tubes more “natural “ and realistic “.  What is so ultimately satisfying is that we both can get exactly what we want.

Charles 

I will not apologise for not liking valves and you have confirmed my statement that you use valves for tone controls. You know and I know that valve amps are distortion central.

If that's what you like, go with it, but I don't like distortion and I don't like waiting an hour for valves to warm up and I don't like oversampling either.

So in a very highly critical solid state environment the 005 performs like a champ.

Pre-amps from Viola and Spectral are the pinnacles of pre-amp design incorporating high speed modules for ultimate resolution.

BTW I have used valves in the past.

+10 on comments from those attesting to valves ability to resolve/transparency with the best.

Over generalizations really have no place here, components with valves are widely variable, one can have romantic or analytical presentations, far too many permutations to make this valid comment. Conditional comments based on experience are appreciated, subjective comments presented as objective fact not.

lordmelton"Valves can paper over cracks but solid state will reveal everything"

This statement is incomplete, deceiving, and reflects a misunderstanding of the nature of the qualities of the various types of amplification. It is possible for valves (tubes) to be "revealing" it is possible for ss to be "revealing" and both tubes and ss amplifiers can be intended, designed, and manufactured to be as neutral as the designer desires or as colored depending on his desires and preference but this is a common misunderstanding, fallacy, and illusion.

I appreciate the comments from lordmelton (And many others here) on this thread.  I assume that he’s reflecting on his own listening experiences and that’s perfectly fine. . I’ll just say that his valve and solid state impressions differ significantly from mine.😊

Charles

@troidelover1499

thanks, glad you found my comparisons useful, it’s fun to do, to find out these things for myself in my own system

i really don’t think most people here are being ’small’ about the 005 as you describe, though a few may be, it’s legitimately an excellent dac both in absolute terms and for the money... if you are upgrading your digital front end to this level of expense, you should definitely consider it

i became curious as some are insistent it is superior to most other more expensive, well-received dacs so i just wanted find out for myself... if that’s true how come the weiss’ totaldac’s holo’s chord’s bricasti’s msb’s emm’s aren’t going b-k? 😂

seriously though, costs in china are much lower, a direct sales model gives a tremendous cost advantage ... so it is not surprising this dac provides excellent dollar value and knocks on the door of what other pricier dacs can do

this is a thread about this particular make of dac, i think it is important to be sensitive to the fact that there are numerous happy owners here, the marketplace has grown very big for dacs given the prevalence and growth of streaming these days, lots lots of choices, and the key is to have music lovers find stuff they really enjoy

... and i will update my system page re the new speakers in due course :)

There is room here for everyone to participate and contribute and by doing so some will learn and advance, improve, and refine their music reproduction systems but ignoring,overcoming, and rejecting prejudice about things like valves vs. ss or analog vs. digital is required, necessary, and essential for knowledge acquisition.

I have to agree that this lord melton guy is pretty hard to take, as much as other folks here on this topic seem quite reasonable, friendly and balanced in what they write. Guess there is always one bad apple in every barrel, quite a turn off.

lordmelton"Valves can paper over cracks but solid state will reveal everything"

This statement is incomplete, deceiving, and reflects a misunderstanding of the nature of the qualities of the various types of amplification. It is possible for valves (tubes) to be "revealing" it is possible for ss to be "revealing" and both tubes and ss amplifiers can be intended, designed, and manufactured to be as neutral as the designer desires or as colored depending on his desires and preference but this is a common misunderstanding, fallacy, and illusion.

@boxer12 Good to hear you're getting great results, I'll be getting a couple more funds permitting.

Maybe it's too early to compare but how does the AR stack up against the Furutech?

It's very common for a Hi-End pre-amp to reveal shortcomings throughout a system but I've heard the 005 with solid state pre-amps up to $40k and it still keeps performing at the highest level.

Valves can paper over cracks but solid state will reveal everything. Use what sounds best for you.

@lordmelton - Still have the flux 50 going straight into the 005. It sounds amazing! Picked up an Acoustic Revive RAS-14 Triple-C inline "filter" (similar to the Flux 50) for the power amp and built a couple 12ga silver power cables... One going to the power amp & the other to the ExactPower transformer. 

All - It amazes me how utterly transparent this DAC is. The above changes have brought the SQ to another level. The soundstage is a little deeper now but the width & separation between instruments rivals my turntable, which is saying something.  

| Despite Daniel Weiss' white paper regarding his digital volume control being as good or better than the best pre-amps, it has been proven to be grossly inaccurate.

Do you mean proven by experimental data or another paper, or does this refer to an uncontrolled case report of a person comparing these in their individual system?

I also think a preamp is better with the 005. Going direct is also rather dangerous because of the way the volume control buttons work. Try lowering the 005's volume real quick. It is not easy thing to do.

If anyone is using their Musetec 005 straight in to the amplifier you might want to rethink that based on a recent post at head-fi. Adding a preamp was said to add major improvement in in "dynamics, holographic quality and organicness." True, the preamp is a $17,000 tubed unit, but the principal applies broadly, I think. That the Musetec fits comfortably into such a system is itself interesting.

Just a note about a sale price on the Musetec from Shenzhenaudio.com from August 22 to 26.  $2,969.10.

They run this store-wide sale from time to time.

I am not sure what an active preamp is. The LA4 and the CODA 07x have the almost the same features, except the 07x has dual XLR outputs (very useful).

I have finished building out my office system and the Musetec 005 really anchors the digital part to make what could be a sterile setup (with Benchmark preamp and amps) work perfectly for my ears.

I decided to sell my CODA 07x preamp on Friday and also my KRELL Dou 175XD amp. Both of these are sitting idle and I do not like having idle gear when I could make money with them. So TMRAudio maybe buying them from me next week. Otherwise, anyone want a killer preamp and amp?

I am building out my second system, in the Livingroom, and it will be a second Musetec 005 DAC and a second Benchmark LA4 preamp and (almost certain) the not yet released KRELL KSA i400 stereo amp. All of this to power my dream speaker for the past decade, the KEF Blade 2  (I will buy the Meta).

I have owned the KRELL K-300i integrated and now the KRELL Dou 175XD stereo amp, so I know what I like about this new KRELL.

@yyzsantabarbara Apologies for the late reply regarding Coda/Benchmark pre-amps, I haven't heard either but I think I'm correct in saying the Coda is active and the Benchmark is a linestage. Both are very well regarded but I would expect the Coda to sound better, not withstanding it's double the price.

I assume you're getting a custom power supply made for it. In the meantime why don't you try out a SR Purple fuse, they've had dramatic effects in my pre-amps.

Your headphone setup uses a Benchmark DAC, if I remember correctly. This DAC does have a very high voltage output, this could be giving a higher resolution signal?

@troidelover1499 Yes I totally agree with you it's very difficult to eat your own words when you find out that your darling DAC, which you have sung the praises of all over this forum, takes a knockout punch from an unknown $3k contender.

There are many reviews of the Weiss DACs on the internet and despite Daniel Weiss' white paper regarding his digital volume control being as good or better than the best pre-amps, it has been proven to be grossly inaccurate.

I have compared the Musetec 005 extensively in very high end systems, with pre-amps, against the MEDUS (I incorrectly stated MEDEA in my previous post).

The Medus is a $20k plus DAC and barely keeps up with the 005. The 005 buries it with it's massive soundstage and fabulous reproduction of percussion.

So if I'd paid $10k for a Weiss and $11k for a Bricasti (no comment, I've not heard it) I'd be shooting myself in the foot financially to say the 005 is better, at least in the value stakes.

So maybe you think I'm a tosser but most people who have heard the 005 will unanimously echo my remarks. So if you are genuinely looking for a DAC check out the 005, you'd be a fool not to 😀

All of these comparisons and reviews on this thread are subjective. People have different ears, specific system needs, and financial comfort spending on DACs.

The Musetec 005 is great in 1 of my systems and not good in another (my headphones). Saying all of that, I am expecting to buy my second 005 in 3 or 4 weeks from a fellow A'goner.

I get how folks can get damned defensive and pouty when they learn that something they bought and think is just the cats meow isn’t the best, its lame but just human nature I think. I spent money to buy this so now it is the best.

Interesting take. My inference from responders is different.

Charles

@jjss49 I am looking into a DAC upgrade and saw this thread. Your comparisons are really outstanding, even though the Weiss and Bricasti are above my pay grade so to speak but your care in how you did what you did sets a high standard for how people should contribute here. It is very helpful indeed. I get how folks can get damned defensive and pouty when they learn that something they bought and think is just the cats meow isn’t the best, its lame but just human nature I think. I spent money to buy this so now it is the best.

So you mentioned you got some new speakers? Im curious to know which ones,

@melm 

I agree. How good it would be if we could get back to the old Absolute Sound reviewing philosophy. Audiophile terms such as "layered", "seperation", etc. are less useful in the abstract. The baseline ideally should be a real musical event. 

@melm Absolutely true on sound stage perspective  issue.

I recently listened to system far more recessed sound stage than mine, far too many variables to determine cause. I can only say any single one of so many variables could affect sound stage to some extent, meaning, while @jjss49  did in fact hear this absolute difference in sound staging between the two dacs, changing any one particular variable or a combo of them could give one more preferred sound stage. IME 005 has pretty much spot on sound staging in my setup and for my taste. I like a bit more up front sound stage, my Klipschorns and SET amplification give me immediate, performers in room perspective, 005 heightens this sensation. I'm not into the performers in some other venue, studio perspective.

I've also experienced the leaner bass, greater clarity thing. Doesn't mean component with greater bass not as resolving or even more resolving than component with leaner bass. Possibility of changing out multi variables to attain leaner bass from component with excess bass, may turn out to have greater resolving capabilities than leaner bass component.

At this point in time, having now seen a number of 005 comparisons to other dacs, I've yet to be convinced 005 commits either sin of commission or omission. While I'm open to trying another dac, still waiting for a knock out punch. Which leaves me wondering, are we at this inflection point in dacs, where differences are mostly about small deviations in things like sound stage perspective, freq. response, tonality, etc? I'm waiting to see comparison where 005 clearly inferior in resolving, transparency.  Having yet to hear sins of commission in my setup, lack of analog like sound would be greatest sin here, I'm waiting to be convinced there are sins of omission, hope I'm not the one having to purchase the around $20k dac only to satisfy my curiosity.

Once again @jjss49 and @lordmelton have given us very valuable insights into the sound of the Musetec and other DACs. Any of the DACs mentioned together with care in digital signal delivery, I believe, will give the listener a real taste of what digital can do.

I would add only that some of the differences, admittedly small differences, among the several DACs considered can only be accurately understood and evaluated by reference to particular recordings and recording techniques. Consider, for example, the question of how up front or recessed might a soloist appear in relation to the speakers. Close miking would suggest, I think, that the soloist in an accurate system would be on the line between speakers, rather than recessed. Distant miking should reveal a more distant perspective.

A brief comparative review some years ago of my phono pre against another revealed that one of them had a singer up front and the other had the singer further back in the sound stage. The reviewer wrote that the buyer could make a choice based on preference. I recall saying to myself at the time that this doesn’t make sense. Only by knowing something about the recording set-up could one determine that one of the two more accurately revealed the proper spacing.

Here, as in other evaluations, I judge by classical music as there is usually some attempt to make it appear like a real event. So there can still be the close up orchestral perspective of a Mercury recording in Detroit vs. a distant perspective of a Philips recording in Amsterdam. What I seek are components that reveal these differences. The sound of a grand piano on a large concert stage will be very different than the same piano in an average room. Closeness or distance will be but one aspect of the difference. Some recordings put the piano in my room; others have it at a distance on a stage. Similarly for chamber music.

Re another issue consider, for example, the comment of the slightly leaner mid-bass giving a sense of slightly greater clarity. Some of you may know that I’ve been experimenting lately with some very interesting balanced Chinese interconnects. Well, one of these provides to the Musetec precisely what is described here. It works spectacularly well for some recordings. Whether it works well for a great variety of recordings is something that I am currently wrestling with. Applied to some other DAC it may take it too far into the entirely too lean category. I will write more about this cable adventure in time.

All of which is to say that good component reviewing can be very, very difficult. @jjss49 did some terrific work here and some very careful listening. Expressing these sonic issues in words is a tall order. My only demur would be in the lack of musical examples. The difficulty, of course, is that we don’t have a common base of music so that we can all hear what the reviewer hears. I guess I miss the old TAS days when they would chose from a small group of recordings.

Pairing a 005 with a Coda preamp for example will provide a formidable combination for about $10k, the starting price of these expensive DACs.

I have the CODA 07x preamp (their top unit). However, it is now sitting idle because the Benchmark LA4 preamp + Musetec 005 + Benchmark AHB2 monos sound slightly better to my ears. The pre and DAC total around $5600. This is with a KEF LS50 in my office.

I love the LA4 + 005 combo. I am flipping back and forth about selling the CODA 07x and getting a second LA4 and second 005 (almost certain on the 005). The CODA 07x is getting a new external power supply in a few months so I want to try that with the 005 first before I decide.

Call me old school but I don't want my digital signal enhanced in any way, I want to hear what comes directly off the CD or file or stream.

I share the same mindset and perspective. There is a huge DAC marketplace with many choices and one can find what they want. I thought @jjss49 comments were exceedingly complimentary toward the 005.His opinion does not invalid another's opinion or listening impressions. If High End Audio is anything, it is unavoidably subjective. Which is a good thing.

Charles

I don't see this discussion as a who's best scenario but rather more as a paradigm shift in the industry where most if not all of these highly priced DAC offerings offer little to no performance advantage over Musetec, Holo May and Terminator.

Traditionally price was directly proportional to hi-end sound, occasionally we get a cable or accessory that seriously outperforms, however it's rare.

It's still impossible to build hi-end pre and power amps, turntables and speakers cheaply. DACs on the other-hand mostly use the same chips and are either delta sigma or R2R, take your choice.

Therefore even though the Chinese have tried to copy Levinson, Spectral, FM Acoustics etc., they can't do it. Mainly because the cost of the components and technologies involved.

A DAC is another matter and since many western companies have outsourced to China for years it's no surprise they have a very good handle on DACs.

The 005 has never fallen short or been outclassed in any system I've put it into. 005 users here have recently been discussing how much better performance they can achieve with decent pre-amps. Pairing a 005 with a Coda preamp for example will provide a formidable combination for about $10k, the starting price of these expensive DACs.

Both the Bricasti and Weiss DACs oversample this means you cannot use industry leading software like HQ Player.

Call me old school but I don't want my digital signal enhanced in any way, I want to hear what comes directly off the CD or file or stream.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the understanding of the 005.

@sns Per usual in audio, no absolute winners, wouldn't expect anything else.

Agree 100%
Why the “need” to always have to crown and declare an absolute and undisputed winner. I’ve never found this to be the reality in High End audio. @jjss49 your efforts are much appreciated.

Charles 

I believe both @jjss49, @lordmelton  honest in their appraisals. In my present setup I concur with some of the sound characteristics both have related. Per usual in audio, no absolute winners, wouldn't expect anything else.

One must always be mindful comparisons are always informed by much more than component under review. I read @jjss49  review as slight preference for Weiss, with specific sound qualities of both dacs explained within context of HIS setup. The specific sound qualities mentioned in post could sway any particular individual towards 005 depending on present voicing of audio system. I don't perceive this comparison as dis on 005.

i simply don’t get why people seem to get defensive, uptight, and angry... bringing bad energy, negative mojo, to a pursuit that should be purely for enjoyment 🤷🤷‍♀️

this is just well intentioned information sharing among knowledgeable and dedicated hobbyists, from one person’s point of view and based on one person’s effort... no one really gives a sh*t about anyone else’s system -- i do try to communicate my thoughts with some care, in a way that does not put down anything/anyone

we are all just trying to do the best we can with what we have assembled, understand the lay of the land in terms of alternative equipment, striving improve it where possible and sensible...

I believe that @jjss49 gave his totally honest impression of two very fine DACs. I also believe that @lordmelton did the exact same. There’s nothing surprising that they reach somewhat different perspectives. This is what I’d expect e when comparing highly competent DACs as judged through different ears and via different audio systems. The essence of High End audio subjectivity, It seems very clear that the Musetec 005 is a very high level DAC in sonic performance if not necessarily price.

Charles

There is absolutely no benefit whatsoever in promoting the 005 over the Weiss, I can hear the howling and gnashing of teeth if just a hint was mentioned.

I have compared the 501, 502 and the Medea to the 005 and I would choose the 005 in every case, not priced on cost alone.

Immediately putting a fully burned in 005 up against either of the above produces a monstrous soundstage which the Weisses are just not capable of.

The system I compared them in, over several days, consisted of Vitus pre-amp and monoblocks (103s) and Eggleston Works Savoy and Sondheim Speakers, fed by an Aurender N30.

Only the Meadea could come close to the 005. Weiss is coloured and compartmentalizes the music, whereas the 005 is far more dynamic and rhythmic. Maybe I give a point to Weiss on vocals but only slightly. Otherwise it’s hands down to the 005.

Regarding analogue or vinyl sounding when is everyone going to give up on this??? Music hasn’t been mastered in analogue for close to forty years and MOFI has just been caught using DSD masters to create vinyl...lol.

The 501 uses ESS 9018K2M dac-chips where the 005 uses 9038’s. There is no information on Weiss’ website just says they use the latest chips.

Oh Weiss does offer vinyl mode if digital is too harsh for you.

I’ll keep the 005. Thanks for the review.

@jjss49 Very informative comparison, thank you!

While I don't have a comparison dac at present, I hear some of the qualities you mentioned in regard to 005.

My sound stage not deepest I've heard, some relatively recent upgrades, tweaks have helped, but I'd still say more forward than recessed sound stage. In my setup I'd not call it a liability, very satisfying layering, three dimensional images. Like close to stage perspective, but not  in your face.

I've experienced variable image specificity and outlines dependent on certain streaming components in my chain.

Again, thanks for the review, comparison to higher cost dac's are appreciated, I like to know what I may possibly be missing.

it is a perhaps rather overdue, but i wanted to post a follow-up to what i had promised several weeks back, comparing the 005 to the weiss 501 sonically

my time trying to do the comparison was interspersed with some initial confusion over what i was hearing as i tried to make a clean comparison and derive solid conclusions, and then was ’interrupted’ with an east coast trip, and then, another ’break’ in my unexpectedly getting a different set of speakers and needing to dial in subs for them, all of which werein effect ’distractions’ from this specific task

at this point, i’m confident i have clear observations/conclusions, and have confirmed these pre and post trips and by also going back also to the older speaker/amp setup to double check, and further, by using different weiss inputs (lan and usb) and also compared both sets of outputs (xlr and rca) on both units

one thing that made things a little difficult and confusing at the outset in this comparison is that, while both the weiss and the 005 have variable volume, they were not exactly well synced --as the increments on both are 0.5 db per step, but they always seemed a bit off in perceived loudness - ultimately, i used the ol’ voltmeter-at-the-speaker posts method, using several test tones, to set properly equal volumes, 005 set at -0.5 db and the weiss at -3.5 db, as a spot on match

so these comments are only about the sonic differences i could discern, the weiss has a host of dsp features, parametric eq, bass/room eq, de-essing, a very long list... some i consider goofy and over the top, others are very useful (e.g., room mode management, para eq) - but my comments are with all these features OFF and the 005 using its slow filter (i think its best sound) -- three main observations, perhaps somewhat inter-related to a degree...

1) fairly easily noticeable is that weiss has slightly leaner midbass and the 005 has that small degree of lower midrange/midbass ’body’ or ’fattening’ (also referenced in my prior bricasti m1 comparison), and this difference gives the weiss a sense of slightly greater clarity (but not more actual detail i don’t think) - low ’true’ bass tonality, quality and weight are very equal, both outstanding

2) weiss has a somewhat deeper image and more distant central image positioning, coupled with a more dynamic presentation -- as alluded to earlier, the 005 to my ear has a slightly more closed-in quality to playing the main voice(s) and instruments in center stage, less air, more up close ’intimate’ feeling - similar to the bricasti, the weiss seems to locate the central figure(s) deeper in the soundstage yet with more specificity and clearer outlines, and then, in louder passages, the weiss would expand dynamically with more contrast - this aspect had me confused for a good while and led me to closely scrutinizing the volume settings, as louder passages seemed louder and softer passages seemed softer on the weiss -- once again, listened to on its own i would never ever say the 005 lacks dynamicism or seems compressed, with comparing a vs b the difference is noticeable and repeatable between how the 2 dacs play music

3) the weiss, like the bricasti, has a slightly more relaxed, more open, more ’analog’ presentation than the 005, this difference is again quite slight but it is there, 005 just a touch mechanical sounding, the weiss flows with a somewhat greater ease - once again i speculate this may be achieved in weiss’ oversampling (to 195khz) in the d/a conversion via the dual ess chipset - i think the bricasti is even a little more ’liquid’ than the weiss but that direct a/b is next for me, i am saying this here from admittedly unreliable sonic recollection of the m1 at this point

so overall, i think the 005 acquits itself very well, and for the price, very well indeed... the differences sonically are small, weiss a touch more open, dynamic, more fluid, but listened on its own the 005 sounds wonderful, more intimate presentation, a touch of warmth with excellent, and natural detail retrieval, imaging quality is very good (if surpassed by the more expensive dacs)

i won’t debate the relative value of the weiss, its form factor, its streaming capability, it manifold features, that is up to a specific buyer to decide what they value

Post removed 

Last month I posted about lending a friend of mine the Musetec 005 to hear with his RAAL VM-1a headphone amp. Yesterday I picked up the DAC. The VM-1a is a tube headphone amp for both the RAAL-Requisite CA-1a and SR1a headphones.

I also have all of this RAAL-Requisite gear, and when used with my Benchmark DAC3B, it was the very best sound I have had in my office, and maybe the best I have ever heard anywhere (no physical room to deal with). Stereophile will have a review on this combo soon (not sure which DAC).

This setup is so good that I sold my Thiel CS3.7 floor standers a few weeks ago and bought the KEF LS50 Meta this week to try and recreate the resolution, speed, and clarity I am hearing on this amp and headphones. I also have KEF KC62 sub.

When I first heard the Musetec 005 on the VM-1a and SR1a and CA-1a headphones I was very underwhelmed. It just sounded subdued and not exciting at all. My friend commented the same observation to me on the 005. It just does not work on this tube amp.

I put in my Benchmark DAC3B, the same DAC that I heard when I demoed the amp, and the sound just opened up an became this reference level quality that I am raving about to everyone. I am not sure why the 005 sounds so boring on the VM-1a.

However, on my old LS50 (waiting on delivery of LS50 Meta) the Musetec 005 | CODA 07x | Benchmark AHB2 mono are excellent. The Benchmark DAC3B does not sound as good as the 005 on this system. I am excited to see what the Meta will do to the sound. I do not expect to be as good as the VM-1a. I have a Livingroom system that I am building that may be able to scale the heights of the VM-1a. I will likely use the Musetec 005 with that system (may need a 2nd one).

Luckily, I have 2 Sonore OpticalRendu’s setup in my office to have both DACs in play for the VM-1a and also my 2-channel system.

@debjit_g 
Comparison is only to the best Supra power cable that I terminated.  I don't believe what power cables have to do is all that complicated: deliver and shield.  If we are able to look inside a DAC and make some assumptions about what we may hear, surely a power cable is a much simpler investigation.  Some time in May, when I discovered them on Amazon, a 1.5 meter Viborg MBU1606 terminated cable was selling on Prime for $61.72.  Many months before I had bought a long length of the unterminated Viborg cable and set it up for my amp, a distance from an outlet.  Terminating this thick cable was a trial.  At the price on Prime It was a no brainer for me to buy a few.  And Amazon has a very easy return policy.  I'm satisfied with the buy.  As usual YMMV.

@sns and @melm thanks for the recommendation.

I've only used diy power cables based on  recipes @willywonka  has developed over the past few years. They're called Helix Image, the particular recipes I've been using are the best power cables I've either auditioned or owned.

@sns Yes, I am very familiar with the helix config but I haven't tried the power cable yet. Good to hear the 005 has a great synergy. Maybe its worth exploring for me as well. My current thinking is the 005 will probably like occ copper based pc.

@melm I have used Viborg accessories, banana and spade lugs for DIY speaker cables in the past and they are extremely well made and solidly built. No doubt their power cords are up to the snuff. If you don't mind asking, what else have you compared to ?

Not sure I've observed a wider variety of subjective reviews than from Dave. Lots of these out in field in wide variety of systems, still don't know what to make of this dac after all these years.

A dis by ASR may be considered a purchasing recommendation.

ASR again?  Please stop with this nonsense.

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

The 'tards over at ASR are in a feeding frenzy picking over the bones of a Chord Dave.

Conclusions
I always considered Chord products excellent but over designed. I now have to change that. The DAVE DAC does not perform anywhere near where it should. It is bested easily by DACs at $150. Its headphone amplifier is good but no match for higher powered units. It is a pretty DAC but usability is left behind. In my listening tests, I could detect no attribute that made it sound special. No, this is not a controlled test but neither are the reports to the contrary! Regardless, company's claim to fame is exacting implementation with concepts such as -300 dB and noise modulation mattering. So what is up then with my measurements?

@melm You are correct on Muon. Based on positive reviews from trusted sources want to try. To this point I've tried an audiophile switch and generic FMC in the exact position Muon will go (between router and server) without success. Prefer my router using lps plugged into BPT power conditioner with high end cable direct to server superior. In case of switch I had to add the switch itself plus an extra ethernet cable to server and NAS. In case of FMC, adding two FMC, two lps, optical cable, one ethernet cable, both lps plugged into BPT with high end power cables.

So, yes, adding these devices added to complexity of streaming, perhaps its all this added complexity that produced inferior sound. Straight wire concept at work here, simpler better? Muon will be less complex in that it's passive device, will be only adding one ethernet cable (which comes with Muon) to entire streaming setup.

Keep in mind, my entire streaming setup seems to be one in a million. I have both modem and router very close to my audio system, cable feed comes into my dedicated audio room. I have only 1M AQ Vodka from modem to router, 1.5M AQ Vodka router to server and NAS. No rendering with server, two ethernet ports on server, so one ethernet can go out directly to streamer(in my case FMC to OpticalRendu) no need to have switch. Now, I suspect it would be nice to replace router with audiophile switch, but I absolutely need wifi in house, router likely my weakest link, can't be helped. But then vast majority using router and switch, how many can go without router? Router remains in chain in vast majority of setups, I think many forget about this. My take is ROUTER CLOSE TO SERVER, better than any ROUTER PLUS AUDIOPHILE SWITCH streaming setup. Simpler is better, straight wire concept.

Post removed 

@sns

I gather that the Muon ($1312) is an Ethernet filter at a higher level than the Eno filter ($704) from the same source. Both are entirely passive devices. Have you (or anyone else here) used either of them? Do other devices in the chain have the same or similar effect?

Also, placed between a switch and a streamer, there seems to be no need for the extra streaming cable offered. Would that be correct?