JBL L112

I recently acquired a nice pair of JBL L112 from my lawyer who was cleaning out his basement. After a fun restoration ,surrounds,midrange dust caps and cabinet refinishing they turned out beautiful. I'm driving them with a XL600 and a mcintosh pre amp..These speakers are 44 years old and sound great,they are so lively and dynamic and well balanced.They also have some shortfalls but lt makes me think 

Speakers have gotten better but not by much...my Mcintosh Revel Ultima setup  plays louder with less distortion.....but these JBL L112 's will hold there own and they are truly fun to listen to ..brings you back to a high-school party.would it be a mistake to sell them and get the new L100 anniversary models?

128x128vinnydabully

That’s a tuff one. I think the new L100’s would sound a bit better, but after all that hard work? The new L100’s have vertically aligned drivers which usually make speakers sound better, but at $4400 a pair, I’d probably keep them. I’m a big vintage JBL fan. Not sure if any place is offering a return policy so you could audition them side by side in your house. Have fun!

Newer models will be more accurate but really really careful to chase that quality. That's where some lose the music and become audiophiles.  It's a slippery slope.

Thanks for the advice...l will try to audition a pair of new ones...l can tell you l have a pair of HPM 100's in my garage (28×26 10ft. ceiling)powering them with a Crown K2 and there super loud and boomy...great for loud hard rock background music when working...but these JBL L112 's just sound so good l would never use them for garage speakers.. l thought there was no way these JBl's would be better than the pioneers and l was wrong...

Post removed 

L-100, L-112, L-166, L-300. All classics. I’ve owned all but the 112s. I fully restored the 100s and sold em. I still own the 166s and 300s.

I’m sure the new L-100s are fine but they’ll never be classics. If you want to spend that kind of coin on a new set of modern speakers, there’s a lot of competition for your money.

I’d keep the 112s. They’re the real deal, not nostalgic marketing.

I read a post on audioheritage this morning..A guy and his wife bought a new pair of L100's and did a side by side comparison with the L112 's They wound up returning the new L100.The said the highs were glaring and the bass was floppy...l think ll keep these old classics.

Wow what memories. My first pair of real speakers were the L112's powered by a Sansui AU-X1 and would give anything to have that system back.

And to think, I sold that stuff to a buddy dirt cheap just so I could get into home theater.

No way I'd get rid of them if I was you for a new model if those are restored and am envious sir.

Did you replace the old electrolytic caps? They are bad by now for sure. Dried up and out of spec. Resistors can also wander far off spec in 40 years. I bet you have not really heard them yet.

If the caps are all film they can still be upgraded with modest cost to caps like Clarity CSA, Audience Auricap XO and Jantzen Superior Z ……Replace resistors with Mills MRA at $5.50 each. 

I bought a pair at auction that were immaculate and a great price about a year ago ...they sounded ok but not even close to modern speakers. Good for Rock and roll but that's about it...Off they went.

IMO there worth keeping around for casual 70"s 80's rock listening....they would be great for a den or office,bar shelf...probably not for your #1 listening room...cool old design...

@grannyring 

You beat me to the punch. I like TG a great deal but the most fun projects he writes about are evaluating vintage gear with modern eyes. I often wonder if crossover designers were limited by their tools.   Would they have done better if they had better measurement and simulation tools.  The power of crossover simulators is huge.  Being able to virtually try out an idea in 3 seconds vs. 2 hours is a huge enabling technology.

@vinnydabully,

I have a pair of new JBL’s.  I had to use a 4 band EQ to make them listenable in my upstairs room.  Also needed to get a sub as the 12 inch woofers on the JBL don’t do the job. If you like what you have don’t waste the money. 

Keep them, labor of love.  I have a pair of souped up Dynaco A-25 in the garage. Fun

jim

A nice pair of L112s ( California ) just sold on USAM with an asking price of $300. for the pr. I owned a pair for a while and were very enjoyable....with the right amplifier. They required lots of current, ime, 

I have a stupid analogy...when you buy a set of speakers it's like buying a car with no engine in it.The sensitivity of the speaker is like the weight of the car...if you want to go fast and quick...buy the appropriate amp..

FYI..I come from a racing background...

Another vote for keeping them. Similar story for a pair of JBL L200 t3’s w/ the “baby butt” tweeters I got a couple years ago. With a modest tube amp they sound really good. I’m fortunate to have some storage space so it’s a mix of modern and vintage for me. 

I know is this is off-topic, but this JBL talk has me wondering/lusting about JBL’s new 75th anniversary Class-G SA750 Integrated.  Anybody heard one? Built-in in MM/MC, DAC + Streamer, Dirac,…. Supposedly designed as a companion to the L100 speakers.

Oh, IMHO, and keep the 112’s.

i’ve owned the 4311s since they were new in 1973 or so. Along the way I’ve upgraded from Kenwood to Crown to McIntosh. Most recently going from the 275 to the 452 early last year. Two months ago I auditioned the new L100’s and less than 10 minutes later I ordered them. Two caveats: First, make sure that you have a room that is long enough to support that incredible woofer. Secondly, don’t skimp on the power. 

I have a pair of L112s that I got in ~'89 from the original owner, refoamed correctly once by OCS.  They sit in the family room and never get played.