JBL L112

I recently acquired a nice pair of JBL L112 from my lawyer who was cleaning out his basement. After a fun restoration ,surrounds,midrange dust caps and cabinet refinishing they turned out beautiful. I'm driving them with a XL600 and a mcintosh pre amp..These speakers are 44 years old and sound great,they are so lively and dynamic and well balanced.They also have some shortfalls but lt makes me think 

Speakers have gotten better but not by much...my Mcintosh Revel Ultima setup  plays louder with less distortion.....but these JBL L112 's will hold there own and they are truly fun to listen to ..brings you back to a high-school party.would it be a mistake to sell them and get the new L100 anniversary models?

128x128vinnydabully

Showing 4 responses by vinnydabully

Thanks for the advice...l will try to audition a pair of new ones...l can tell you l have a pair of HPM 100's in my garage (28×26 10ft. ceiling)powering them with a Crown K2 and there super loud and boomy...great for loud hard rock background music when working...but these JBL L112 's just sound so good l would never use them for garage speakers.. l thought there was no way these JBl's would be better than the pioneers and l was wrong...

I read a post on audioheritage this morning..A guy and his wife bought a new pair of L100's and did a side by side comparison with the L112 's They wound up returning the new L100.The said the highs were glaring and the bass was floppy...l think ll keep these old classics.

IMO there worth keeping around for casual 70"s 80's rock listening....they would be great for a den or office,bar shelf...probably not for your #1 listening room...cool old design...

I have a stupid analogy...when you buy a set of speakers it's like buying a car with no engine in it.The sensitivity of the speaker is like the weight of the car...if you want to go fast and quick...buy the appropriate amp..

FYI..I come from a racing background...