I am considering a luxman 3600 tube amp as my first adventure into tube amplifiers?

I am considering a Luxman 3600 tube amp for my first adventure into tube amplifiers. The amp. has been modified to use KT88 tubes with a corresponding output of 30 Watts, a recent servicing and update of the 3600 to accommodate the KT88 tubes with a corresponding reduction from the original 50 to 30 watts. The unit has received approximately 80 hours of use since this service.  I have been assured by the seller that the $700.00 upgrade was performed by a an experienced service professional, which he has used many times, and has complete confidence in.  I was wondering what members experience has been with the Luxman 3600 and any comments they may have. I will be using the Luxman at low to moderate volume levels with a Acoustic Research Preamp. (LS 25II) and Wilson Benesch Square 2 speakers. I am purchasing the used unit without being able to test it with my existing system due to distance constraints. I must admit I am very excited about purchasing my first tube amplifier and experiencing the holographic sound people talk about.

128x128pooch2

This amplifier is going to be a nightmare if it ever requires service, and Luxman certainly won't touch it.

Those things are rather bullet proof.  I'm really looking forward to your listening experience. 

That’s a 50 year old amp. If you want to get into tube amps there are a lot more options than that. BTW, I've owned Luxman many moons ago and it sure was not bulletproof!

My Luxman MB-3045 tube amps have been very reliable. They were made in about 1975

I would not take a chance, like others said, for a first delve into tubes, .....

what other equipment will be involved?

Those speakers are only 87db sensitivity. .30 wpc is NOT enough, SS or Tubes.

For now, perhaps think Tube Preamp into Solid State AMP, 

I would want at least 100 wpc, preferrably more.

Is the Luxman 3600 tube amp really 50 years old and modified?  For your first experience with tube amps, I suggest something newer that can be checked if something breaks.  As was stated above, a 50 year old modified tube amp could be an issue  

I am not familiar with Wilson Benesch Square 2 speakers but believe 30wpc is not nearly enough power.  Please do not rush your decision and do more research.  

A better choice would be a recent Prima Luna with 4 6550's per channel giving 100 watts. I'd pass on the Luxman!

Some strong arguments against buying something so old and perhaps unreliable. I also appreciate owners of Luxman's who have suggested the are a solid performer and reliable.  I have considered many of the suggested options including some old kit type tube amps from the 50's (dynaco) but I have a limited budget for this project and will likely continue with my research and my journey down the tube rabbit hole. Just a note that the tube amp will be used as a option to my existing system which I am very happy with, as I noted in the intro includes a tube preamp (AR LS 25 Mark II),  2 Class A mono amps 80 watts per amp. (Schiit Aegir's), into the Wilson Benesch Speakers which I believe are rated around 86 db sensitivity. I have talked with a number of tube amp folks who love there low watt per channel oriental tube amps, so given my preferred listening levels of low to medium volume I am not too concerned about a high watt tube amp. 

Thanks to all for your comments and input.

I have a limited budget for this project

Check out Van Alstine 

You can go to hifishark.com, search for 'tube amplifier'

then, put in your maximum price, and set the criteria to 'price high to low'

, that's how I found that Rogue

If looking to beat someone to a good deal, change to 'first seen, new first'.

And, you can select/limit the country you search in.

There's more to the issue of whether 30 watts are enough for a 86-87db, sensitivity speaker than the plan to use it at low to medium volumes. If there's an impedance mismatch for your speakers they're going to sound anemic and un-involving at any volume level in my experience. The issue of more or less complex impedance curves resulting from differences in crossover design greatly influences how well a lower powered tube amp will work with any given speaker. I have a 25-30 watt Decware Zen Torii that works very well at moderate volume with one set of 87db. speakers and it sounds terrible at any volume with another set of speakers that have similar specifications. I personally would be very reluctant to purchase ANY 30 watt tube amp for speakers of your rated sensitivity unless I could try the amp first for compatibility. I'd consider waiting until I could afford something of interest from someone like The Music Room in Colorado who will let you try what you buy for at least two weeks with the option to return it if it doesn't work for you. They often price their equipment a bit higher than sellers who don't offer that option. I've bought several pieces of gear from them and returned some as well. I find the price premium well spent for the peace of mind knowing I can return something that doesn't work out. 

Thanks for those search options, I regularly do check these sites. My budget is moving all the time which is what usually happens to me, I start with one budget and by the time I do my research I realize it's not enough. Original budget was $1,000 to $1,500.00 Canadian eh!

48 wpc, remote control, CAD $1,000

you would need to check out the brand and this particular unit's reputation

Some interesting options, thanks I will have a look. I think "Photon 46" makes a valid argument about compatibility and impedance problems between speakers and the tube amp. unfortunately I don't have the ability to sample with used equipment unless there from my area. This would limit my search to new equipment that have a return policy. It makes me think of the gamble one takes in buying used equipment with shipping, not being what was advertised, incompatibility with your equipment, the whole process is a bit of a gamble.

Unusual choice for a 1st tube amp.

Look like something for the vintage fan. If you decided on it, you can still find the original tubes it was designed for. Research suggests it's a simple mod to switch it back to original.

LUXMAN 8045G Vacuum Tube 4 Set | eBay

The only thing I'd be concerned about is access to the schematic for a tech when needed.

It's probably a great sounding amp. I'd pair it with the period appropriate pre. Get a cool FM tube tuner and period turntable. Finish with a pair of horns.

If you can't do it that way, get something current.

I gave up on vintage, other than my Epi 100 speakers which remain and will remain, once I did a heads up comparison with even modest new amps... the vintage stuff went right out the door, as pretty as it all was.

I have enjoyed the Weytech Sapphire monoblocks for 10 years! Even with "inefficient" 90db/spl ADS 1290L speakers (Updated crossovers and drivers). Rated at 18 watts rms but amps have switchable impedance from 2-4 OR 8-16 ohms.  Plenty of volume and sweet sound from these S.E.T. 300B amps!  I offer these for sale.  Designer and Canadian creator Rogert Hebert passed away and his equipment is legend!  Look up the six moons review, Harry Pearson from Absolute sound gave this his golden ear award!

As has been said above, I would be more concerned about synergy with your current speakers than buying a vintage tube amp. That, and the quality of the workmanship with the mod.

Vintage tube amps are really basic devices. Capacitors, resistors, transformers and chokes. There should be no unobtanium parts inside.

Service manuals and schematics are easy to find.

If you live in or near a major center, I would consider looking into what service facilitates exist near by should it need any TLC.

Perhaps I missed the price range, but these are wonderful.  And yes, I owned them for years.