Best turntable under $2000

I have been thinking about Rega Planar 6 with a cartridge (1995$). Are there any other models that are as good or better, that I should look out for under this budget? 
I currently have a Rega P2. The sound is good but I don't get a very good separation of vocals and instruments and also the detailing is not as resolving as I would like it to be.

Thanks.
neo_the_one
I would be looking at at Well Tempered Simplex new, or an Amadeus used. Just my $00.2
I’ve been very happy with my MoFi Ultradeck with Ultratracker cart. Crazy quiet..excellent sounding.  Worth checking out. 
Get a Pioneer PLX1000 ($699 + free shipping from AMS) and a Hana LS mc cartridge ($750). Read HR's review in the September Stereophile. I have this TT and it is as good as the Technics - for less than 1/2 the price!
Don’t buy a Pioneer and Hanna cartridges, don’t read the reviews for a new stuff (it’s new marketing), just look for a vintage top of the line Luxman PD-444 turntable with Micro Seiki direct drive motor. Wait untill you will find one for $2000 on ebay from Japan (a fried just bought it this month). This turntable is amazing and you can not buy anything better than this for $2000, i sold 3 Technics turntables including SP-10 mkII in Obsidian plinth to keep this Luxman beast. 
VPI is a winner at any price point...easily upgraded or sold...great customer service, etc.
@neo_the_one "I currently have a Rega P2. The sound is good but I don't get a very good separation of vocals and instruments and also the detailing is not as resolving as I would like it to be."

While I liked the VPI Classic enough to buy one, in your case, you should definitely audition before going that route.  It will provide more heft and liquidity, but I feel the Planar 6 better addresses  complaints you raise.  The previous RP6 didn't strike me as good value, as it was mostly a hot rodded RP3.  The one differentiates itself enough to warrant the moniker, and I think also justifieds its worth
 Your areas of dissatisfaction with your Rega P2 turntable suggest to me that you would be happier with a direct drive turntable. The faults that you cite in respect of the Rega are possibly due to speed inaccuracy that is endemic with belt drive turntables, like the rega, and like the VPI turntables. What happens as you spend more money is hopefully that this problem Is more and more successfully addressed with more expensive belt drive turntables. However, I think you might like the sound of direct drive turntables, and there are some that you could purchase for less money. There are many VPI adherents contributing to this thread, and they are likely to disagree with my sentiments. They are entitled to their opinions. And certainly VPI is a step up from rega in the lower cost and midprice category.
I have been extremely pleased with my Clearaudio Concept Wood MC. You should be able to get one used for under $2K. I have it paired to an iPhono II phono preamp. Pretty amazing sound for the money. 
To respond to the preference for VPI, I have a VPI Aries 2 and it is a great table and with a Lyra Delos outclasses any sub $2000 turntable. But, as I recall, I paid close to $4000 for that table with JMW 10.5 arm. I also previously owned an original VPI Traveler, but IMO the 1200GR sounds superior to the Traveler. It is a superb deck for $1700 and my audio/music listening friends agree.
If you want a turntable for dummies (like the book series :) get a Rega with a Rega cartridge.  No setup required and the sound will be good but not nearly as good as it could be for the $,  
If you have some moderate capability to mount and align a cartridge then the GR would be difficult to beat.  A 1200GR with Nagaoka MP 500 for example will shred the sound of the P6 with Ania cartridge.  
The GR will give you a speed precise energetic, neutral sound.  
VPIs offer a lush, high mass belt drive sound that I have found to be overly warm and sluggish, along with lots of alignment skills required.  
@stevecham I was thinking about the VPI prime scout, but not sure about the cartridge. I will have to increase my budget here.

Then I also looked at vpi-super-prime-scout -https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/vpi/products/vpi-super-prime-scout . I am wondering if the VPI-super-prime-scout is worth the extra money?
@avanti1960, so for a VPI it would make sense to buy from a dealer who does the alignment?
The super prime scout is definitely worth the extra money. The vta tower alone is a 1200 dollar upgrade and the platter is a 1000 dollar upgrade. Had one and it sounded superb 
My vote goes to the Luxman 444 and the Technics 1200 GR. GR will come equipped with a decent arm that allows for easy switching of headshells. Luxman will give you the opportunity to use two arms!

@Neo the GR comes with the plastic overhang gauge to align the cart. Super table built for dummies like me. 
It's so nice that we have Brenk who will be able to compare new Technics SL1200 GR to the Luxman PD-444 with various vintage tonearms. I'm looking forward to read more comments about it ASAP 

PD-444 is my favorite turntable 
neo: It's best if you learn how to install, align and adjust your own cartridges. I would never trust mine to anyone else.