Tube/Hybrid Tube Preamps Below $2000

I pulled the trigger on a ps audio s300 power amp and the new klh five speakers. I can’t wait to set them up, but I can’t decide on a preamp. I’m new to tubes and separates, and this seems like a good opportunity to add some warmth. At the moment my short list is the rogue audio rp-1 and the van alstine fet valve cf rb. The cfr looks great, but pushes above $2000.
The rp-1 includes a phono stage which is a plus, and rogue seems to have a great reputation. Rogue audio often pairs tubes with class d amps, so it seems pretty safe that it’ll pair with the s300. RA is a PA company which is a plus.
The fet valve seems to have great reviews too, and it uses 4 tubes instead of 2 (this isn’t necessarily an advantage I know). I also like the simplicity and look of the fet valve better than the rp-1.
I was wondering if anyone had experience with either, or even both. Also, any missed options? Is the Doge 7 worth considering? The Doge 8 is just a little too much. I’m not opposed to used, but warranties and return periods are a big advantage. Van Alstine’s in particular seems great
lakeofthewyles
The Doge 8 is just a little too much.
Isn't it under $2k? Like $1450 + tubes.
You’re right. It would probably be about $2000 with tube purchase. They’re back ordered though, and the balanced version a month beyond that. If you factor in build time, we’re looking 3 months or more. I’d be willing to wait if it’s worth it, but I’d rather not
i would agree - for 2 grand probably best to look at chi-fi (with all its attendant caveats and risks) - a good used don sachs is around 2 grand

schiit and ava makes some less costly ones but lack some key features like remote control etc etc ...

otherwise, in my experience really top tube preamps are 3-4-5 grand and up (c-j, arc, herron, supratek vac and so on)
Van alstine?
used CJ et3 or et5?

Lots options out there. 
 Enjoy the ride. 
Check out Aric Audio. He has a tube pre which sells for $1650. I own his Special pre. Great guy to work with. Hand made in USA.
I love my Quicksilver Line Stage and it has paired nicely with power amps (or power amp sections) of Atoll and Adcom. It adds dimensionality and warmth, and a change of tubes from JJ to some nice 1960's Valvo tubes ($200 for the pair) really made it sound luscious.

That said, my research into preamps was pointing me to a number of excellent pieces available new for $2k or under: Aric Audio (mesch mentioned), Supratek (Australia), Erhard (U.S.A.). Then there are several which are hard to find used at under $2k: Don Sachs, deHavilland, Herron, Supratek, Modwright.

I think the preamp is a crucial piece of gear, and the ability to change tubes makes it flexible. I'm especially keen on smaller makers, and have tried to list a good group.
I have and use a turntable, but I’m not opposed to an external phono amp. I’d prefer a phono input, but it’s not a dealbreaker. A remote would be nice, but it’s not a essential. Initially I didn’t want one, but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes.
I run an RP-1 and the S300 combo. I upgraded the RP with some Mullards and like the combination very well, RP-1 is solid sub $2K Pre. I also have a Rega P6 source with a MC cartridge. Manual for the RP-1 was a little confusing to me (electro dullard) to set the dip switchs so I called Rogue and they helps me set it up based on cart specs. I also source Qobuz/Roon/BrystonPi/Wadia321 and that rivals my P6 in SQ pleasure. If you are patient you can pick up a used RP-1 But they gets snapped up purdy quick. Only knock the RP-1 is a cheese whiz plastic remote. :/.
Edit: RP-1 also has a configurable headphone stage.

The aric audio unlimited looks solid. Would be the most pure tube pre I’ve considered, but I’m interested. The adjustable gain is a nice touch. I wasn’t able to find many reviews, and how it holds up to others.
save a little more and get the rogue audio RH 5 headphone amp balanced line stage. an excellent sounding preamp and a value at its $2500 msrp.
sold mine and sorry that i did.  took gobs of $$$ to improve on. 
@lakeofthewyles So far I've only had one formal review of the Unlimited II by Enjoy The Music, however there is a thread on Audiogon where several users have commented on it below:
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/aric-audio-systems-unlimited-preamp

Best regards, Aric
@aricaudio I appreciate the response. It’s definitely moved up my short list and I’d probably get the phono stage too. Really happy with the suggestions that have been made. The erhard pre’s look great too.

Am I going to lose some detail and low end with the more pure tube preamps? I’m willing to sacrifice some for the warmth and sound stage that tubes bring, but I don’t want to lose too much punch and clarity. Having a solid state power amp with a tube pre seems like a decent compromise. Like I said, I’m new to tubes, and home hifi in general. I apologize if these are basic questions 

@lakeofthewyles- You're very welcome, and that's much appreciated however I have omitted the phono stage option as I personally found it to be a bit noisier than I would prefer. The reviewer, Paul at ETM stated that he found the phono most enjoyable and did not encounter any noise in his system, but I have found the only way to get it as quiet as I like is a two-chassis phono stage with outboard power supply.

On the line stage section, there is no rolloff at either frequency extreme and the bass remains powerful and taught without any bloat or overhang, the midrange is warm with depth and the high frequencies are extended and sweet. I believe that if any piece of gear rolls off either frequency extreme that it is not Hi-Fi and would have no place in a high end system. I personally listen to music that's all over the map, with the majority of it being rock and dynamic/percussive music and played bass in working bands for over 10 years- so I appreciate the importance of a solid bass foundation.

Best wishes, Aric
  I run the RP-1 with nos Telefunken G73R’s , best 12AU7 made . I have nos RCA’s, Silver Seimens , Mullard , Tungsram and a few others . Rogue pushes the Mullards, but they sound veiled and the Telefunkens are fabulous.  I run a Schiit Yiggy and a modded Thorens with a Grado cart . By the time I added the tubes , a good power cord and isolation feet , I’m about $2200. The phono section is fair , but the headphone section sucks . I have Audeeze LCD-2’s and tried my buddy’s Seinheisers . I have Zu omens , so my Had Inspire with all nos tubes pairs well. I’m looking at getting a SS amp with more power to run my JBL’s . Considering a Van Alstine as I’m all single ended and have a boutique theme going, complimented with Morrow cables . But this far down the road I’ve maxed out the Rogues potential and wish I’d purchased the RP-5. I hope this helps , Mike .