Tube/Hybrid Tube Preamps Below $2000

I pulled the trigger on a ps audio s300 power amp and the new klh five speakers. I can’t wait to set them up, but I can’t decide on a preamp. I’m new to tubes and separates, and this seems like a good opportunity to add some warmth. At the moment my short list is the rogue audio rp-1 and the van alstine fet valve cf rb. The cfr looks great, but pushes above $2000.
The rp-1 includes a phono stage which is a plus, and rogue seems to have a great reputation. Rogue audio often pairs tubes with class d amps, so it seems pretty safe that it’ll pair with the s300. RA is a PA company which is a plus.
The fet valve seems to have great reviews too, and it uses 4 tubes instead of 2 (this isn’t necessarily an advantage I know). I also like the simplicity and look of the fet valve better than the rp-1.
I was wondering if anyone had experience with either, or even both. Also, any missed options? Is the Doge 7 worth considering? The Doge 8 is just a little too much. I’m not opposed to used, but warranties and return periods are a big advantage. Van Alstine’s in particular seems great
lakeofthewyles

Showing 1 response by mesch

Check out Aric Audio. He has a tube pre which sells for $1650. I own his Special pre. Great guy to work with. Hand made in USA.