Technics SL-1210G Headshells, Record Weights, and Mats

I just received a new Technics SL-1210G and am really enjoying it with my Pure Fidelity Stratos cartridge.  Does anyone have any favorite record weights, head shells or record mats that they are using with the SL-1200/10G series?  I may also add another cartridge to the setup and swap around.  Any favorites there?  

Thanks!

badgerdms

I have, it’s all system dependant. Me, I settled on the Boston Mat, after 5 different mats. I also changed the arm to an SME 309 & installed the GAE arm on my 1200 mk ll & have an AT 150 mlk on that. My other carts are; Cadenza Black & Cadenza Mono & Hana ML, for the SME.

And on the GAE arm with the 150 mlx, it's mounted on a Yamamoto Carbon HS-4 Headshell.

I am using a hard mat made by either Oracle or Origin but not sure which.  I use a Harmonic Research weight.  They make 2, mine is the lighter one.  This is all used on a Technics SL1200G.  I tried many different weights and the HRS is the best of the bunch.  I tried 2 paper mats and the hard mat.  The hard mat works the best.

@danmar123,  I am leaning towards the Hana ML for my 1200G.  How do you like yours, pro's and con's?

@stereo5 It was on the bright side with certain recordings.The tubes in my SUT & Preamp are revealing. So when I decide to change Carts again from the Cadenza Black to the Hana, all I have to do is some Tube rolling. It was a VERY openCart, more like Solid State. I have less than 70 hrs.. on it & I'll keep it until - ?????

I might be mistaken, but I seem to recall that Technics tables are not designed to be used with record weights; don't know why. But I've got a 1200G and I don't use a record weight and don't feel a need for one.

I do use a Clearaudio Charisma MM cart on the stock arm and headshell and a Stein Music Perfect Interface Pi TT mat. 

Michael Fremer tried a few weights and mats when he reviewed the SL1200G and concluded that the weight added a bit more focus to the sound or something like that. Of course he recommended some $600.00 record mat. Way too rich for my blood.  I bought the weight second hand and like it better on my turntable than the very heavy Project Record puck I  tried and filed away. 

My rig:

Hana Umami Red MC Phono Cartridge
DS Audio HS-001 Headshell
Achromat Turntable Mat for 5mm Technics SL-1200-GAE

no record weight 

great turntable listen in good health 

Thanks everyone for the input, some good ideas for me to explore.

@larsman According to the instruction manual on the 1210G, it can take up to a 1kg weight, the one I have borrowed from my other TT is about 760 grams and works well with the Technics.

@stereo5 Thanks for mentioning the lower-weight version made by HRS.  That's one of the things I'm trying to work out, how much weight is optimal.  I've borrowed my 760-gram weight from my Pure Fidelity rig and have wondered is heavier always better?

For anyone interested, I took the plunge on the DS Audio HS-001 Headshell and the Stein Music "The Perfect Interface Carbon Signature TT Mat".  I'll work those in one at a time with my current Pure Fidelity Stratos Cartridge before I look at other carts.  If I decide to keep two cartridges, I may also try to experiment with other headshells, the Yamamoto, AudioSilente, and Oyaide all come to mind.

Thanks again!

@danmar123 The Stein PI Carbon Signature arrived yesterday.  I'm still doing some back and forth with the stock mat on the Technics, but the Stein clearly has more detail (in a good way, no hyper-etched exaggeration) and the pace and rhythm also take a significant leap (and they are already really good on the SL-1200G.  On records that have a lot of drive (in my case, the recent RSD release of The English Beat's "I Just Can't Stop It" or The Pogues 2013 remix of "Peace and Love") the presentation is just explosive (and addictive).  Combined with the Origin Live Gravity One "weight" (my favorite weight/stabilizer so far) the level of the Technics is significantly raised.  Whether it's worth the price is probably the legitimate argument to be had here, but for me it is and I'm happy I took the plunge.

@badgerdms glad to hear monies spent wisely. I have the Teac which is minus the carbon, that is now on my EMT. I've been bouncing around the record weight for a few months now, but I'm going to hold off for now. Enjoy the music! Dan

@danmar123 When you get around to a record weight make sure to try out the Origin Live Gravity One.  I like that one on my 1210G, and it's not too crazy a price point.

The Stein mat may be excellent, but I cannot help but to be amused and skeptical as a reaction to their ad copy, which contains the hyphenated word "Quantum-physically..."  Come off it, lads. Enough is enough with the quantum.  I'm sure Max Planck is rolling in his grave.

@badgerdms  I have been very curious about the Origin Live weight. All the layers of wood to absorb vibrations and such makes sense to me. I may take the plunge.

@gochurchgo I really like it, it improves things quite a bit with zero negative side effects (at least in my setup).  It weighs almost nothing so I suspect some folks dismiss it, which is too bad.

Isn’t the Stein platter mat 1mm or very thin?, and how did you compensate for this during your comparison?

I am still using the stock mat with an Origin Live mat and the Origin Live weight. 

I've been using a Stein platter mat since I got my 1200G and I'm quite happy with it, as I am with my Clearaudio Charisma II MM cart....