Technics 1200 MK2 vs Technics SL-1210GR

Hi everyone,
I’d like to hear opinions from members that upgraded from the original Technics1200 to the new Technics SL-1210GR. Is there a noticeable improvement in performance that justifies the price increase?
thanks,
Dan
davidantonio
It is not exactly what you want to hear but after decades of using upgraded SL1210mk2 my next step was SP-10 mk2 with EPA-100 tonearm and Micro Seiki CU-500 platter mat.

The old SL1210mk2 can’t compete with SP-10mk2 / EPA-100. It’s another level.

If you want something better you can always find SP-10 mk2 (at least it will not remind you an old SL1200 mk2 series).
The Technics turntables are solid mass market disc spinners. But in that price range nice belt drive tables with good/better tonearms can be had and are better audiophile tables. 
Had both, yes better for sure.  Still have an original 1200 mk2. Sold my GR only to get a GAE.  Yes the G or GAE is even better than the GR.  
The Technics turntables are solid mass market disc spinners. But in that price range nice belt drive tables with good/better tonearms can be had and are better audiophile tables.

This is BS!

At this price ($1700 for new GR) you will not find anything better than this for those who would like to buy and use something compatible with many cartridges, fully adjustable, powerful, precise, stable and unbreakable.

Remember than old SL 1210 mk2 was $400 turntable 25 years ago.
New Technics SP-10R or older SP-10 mk3 are not mass market products, those are some of the best high-end DD ever made (still for reasonable price compared to BD nonsense). Technics EPA-100 mk2 tonearm still unbeatable.

Regarding affordable belt drive and their problems you can read every week on this forum.

When you saying “audiophile table” it’s not always a high quality, but definitely high price, some of them made in garage by 5 employees like those belt drives from USA or Europe.

So when it comes to high quality it’s normally a professional, studio, broadcast, reference class gear from giants of the industry like Technics, Denon, Victor .... just to name a few. Those companies made revolution in hi-fi back in the days.

"... This is BS!..."

It’s a solid table like I said. I just prefer belt drives in this price range. Now if you were talking about the Technics SL-1000R: $18,999....wow!
Not long ago, I would have shared this sentiment, but now that I’ve experienced the GR,  I can confidently assert that there is no belt-drive table anywhere near the price that performs as well, not in any metric. And I don’t typically care for the sound of direct-drive, even the 1200MKII is pretty mediocre IME.

You really have to be at the $4K price point before a good belt-drive catches up. And even then, there are some trade-offs.  
"...Not long ago, I would have shared this sentiment, but now that I’ve experienced the GR,  I can confidently assert that there is no belt-drive table anywhere near the price that performs as well, not in any metric..."

A very convincing argument. Maybe I should re-evaluate. Thanx. 
An interesting case can be made for the recent Technics turntables by doing a search for "Marc Phillips Tone Audio Magazine Technics 1200".  Mr. Phillips back in 2006 took it upon himself to demonstrate the obvious poor quality of the ubiquitous Technics 1200 vs the far superior tables made by such as Rega.  To be fair, he did actually buy one and live with it but, at least for me, there was something about his attitude and style of writing that I couldn't get past. He spent a lot of time making his dislike for the table known over a period of years-anyone researching the 1200 will come across at least one of his tirades.. Arguably one the best known Technics bashers. . Guess what he has now for his personal table?  Yep, a Technics 1200G! These are serious turntables that, IMO, compete well against anything near their price today.  If the last time you heard one was 20 years ago, don't be so quick to judge!
I switched from a nice belt drive table (SOTA Cosmos IV) to the 1200G and it was a clear step up in tonal purity (steady speed!) and lower coloration (not that the Cosmos was bad, mind you).  Up to this point, I had been a belt drive proselytizer.
I own the GR along with vintage tables. The GR for the price, can't be beat. So easy to swap out carts. Stable. Always spinning perfectly. 
An interesting case can be made for the recent Technics turntables by doing a search for "Marc Phillips Tone Audio Magazine Technics 1200". Mr. Phillips back in 2006 took it upon himself to demonstrate the obvious poor quality of the ubiquitous Technics 1200 vs the far superior tables made by such as Rega. To be fair, he did actually buy one and live with it but, at least for me, there was something about his attitude and style of writing that I couldn't get past. He spent a lot of time making his dislike for the table known over a period of years-anyone researching the 1200 will come across at least one of his tirades.. Arguably one the best known Technics bashers. .

Guess what he has now for his personal table? Yep, a Technics 1200G! 

brilliant :)) 
What jbrrp1 wrote is telling. A new Cosmos costs many times more than a new GR.
Thanks for that Knollbrent.  The 1200GR is in my sites early next month.  I had a Denon TT died not long ago.  I have vintage SL-1210MKII with a Jelco arm but it's got a lot of hard miles on it. BTW, Good Looking system!
I have a GR and thought I would upgrade in a couple of years. I have no desire to upgrade. In my opinion, higher end cartridges and phono pre would be a logical step before even thinking about upgrading the table itself.