Technics SL-1210G Headshells, Record Weights, and Mats

I just received a new Technics SL-1210G and am really enjoying it with my Pure Fidelity Stratos cartridge.  Does anyone have any favorite record weights, head shells or record mats that they are using with the SL-1200/10G series?  I may also add another cartridge to the setup and swap around.  Any favorites there?  

Thanks!

badgerdms

Showing 5 responses by badgerdms

@gochurchgo I really like it, it improves things quite a bit with zero negative side effects (at least in my setup).  It weighs almost nothing so I suspect some folks dismiss it, which is too bad.

Thanks everyone for the input, some good ideas for me to explore.

@larsman According to the instruction manual on the 1210G, it can take up to a 1kg weight, the one I have borrowed from my other TT is about 760 grams and works well with the Technics.

@stereo5 Thanks for mentioning the lower-weight version made by HRS.  That's one of the things I'm trying to work out, how much weight is optimal.  I've borrowed my 760-gram weight from my Pure Fidelity rig and have wondered is heavier always better?

@danmar123 The Stein PI Carbon Signature arrived yesterday.  I'm still doing some back and forth with the stock mat on the Technics, but the Stein clearly has more detail (in a good way, no hyper-etched exaggeration) and the pace and rhythm also take a significant leap (and they are already really good on the SL-1200G.  On records that have a lot of drive (in my case, the recent RSD release of The English Beat's "I Just Can't Stop It" or The Pogues 2013 remix of "Peace and Love") the presentation is just explosive (and addictive).  Combined with the Origin Live Gravity One "weight" (my favorite weight/stabilizer so far) the level of the Technics is significantly raised.  Whether it's worth the price is probably the legitimate argument to be had here, but for me it is and I'm happy I took the plunge.

For anyone interested, I took the plunge on the DS Audio HS-001 Headshell and the Stein Music "The Perfect Interface Carbon Signature TT Mat".  I'll work those in one at a time with my current Pure Fidelity Stratos Cartridge before I look at other carts.  If I decide to keep two cartridges, I may also try to experiment with other headshells, the Yamamoto, AudioSilente, and Oyaide all come to mind.

Thanks again!

@danmar123 When you get around to a record weight make sure to try out the Origin Live Gravity One.  I like that one on my 1210G, and it's not too crazy a price point.