preamp upgrade suggestion around $2000

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade my preamp.  I am currently using a Luxkit A3300 preamp.  Other components are:
Naim Uniti Serve streamer
Musical Paradise MP-D2 DAC
Otomon Lab custom build 300B amp
Spatial Audio X5 speakers

I am looking for a tube linestage between $2000-$3000.  From several years ago, I read good things about the following:

Cary SLP98
Modwright SWL 9.0 SE
Supratek Chardonnay
And more recent ones with good reviews:

Coincident Statement LineStage
Linear Tube Audio MZ2/MZ3
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
I have three questions:

1) Is there other models I should consider?  
2) are those in the first group still good options since they are older models?  3) anyone have experience in them and can do some comparisons?

gte357s
I have both the Don Sachs and the MZ2; both of them are outstanding bargains, but they are really different. 
The MZ2 is on the cool side of neutral, amazingly quiet, startlingly lifelike, super resolving and incredible bass. It is quite unique sounding, falling somewhere in between tube and solid state sound.
The Don Sachs is more romantic sounding, more holographic, euphonic, noisier, just a bit less resolving, bass a bit softer and rounder, and overall more in line with “typical” tube sound.

Of course, these are my opinions based on my system, my room, etc. Others may feel differently.
@zm thank you very much, this is the type of comment I am looking for.  Based on that, it seems the MZ2 can be a good balance because I have many tube gear in the system.  Both my DAC and amp are tube.  So, maybe a less tube sounding preamp is a better match.  One complaint I have is that my Luxkit is a bit noisy together with my 97dB speakers and 300B tube amp.  So, a quiet preamp is definitely a plus.
I have the Don Sachs 2. It responds well to tube rolling and with the tubes I use now, Shuguang Treasure WE6SN7, it is not noisy and not too soft like it sounds with some NOS tubes. Tight, balanced with enough tube magic.
I should clarify that I don’t think the Sachs is a particularly noisy unit; just that it is noisier than the MZ2, which is a supernaturally quiet preamp. Kind of the same dynamic to my comment about the bass - the Sachs bass is good, it’s just that the MZ2 bass is tight and slams like solid state.

The Sachs is an excellent unit, but if OP is looking for something on the cooler side to balance out the tubes elsewhere in his system, I would probably steer him to the MZ2 out of those two units. 

I love them both for different reasons and on the whole wouldn’t say one is “better” than the other. They have different strengths and weaknesses, and I think it comes down to personal taste.

*Edited to correct that I’m using the Black Treasure CV-181 in my Don Sachs, not the same tubes as previous poster as I originally wrote.

zm, try the Shuguang Treasure WE6SN7. I had the BT's, sold them. You might be surprised.

@nwres thanks for the tip, I might give those a try.  I’ve tried to avoid going down the 6SN7 tube rolling rabbit hole, but if I’m being honest it’s probably only a matter of time.  And the MZ2 can use 6SN7 too.....
gte357s

Looks like your DAC has preamp out... if so have you tried going direct bypassing a preamp? I have a ModWright LS36.5 which is a great preamp and previously had the SWL 9.0 SE which is outstanding for the money as well. As nice as my ModWright is I am currently listening to my RME ADI 2fs DAC/Teddy Pardo direct to my amp and it’s outstanding. You don’t mention or note vinyl in your setup so I would suggest forgoing a preamp or at least give it a try if you haven’t.
@adg101 

I am glad you ask.  Yes, I did.  My power amp also have volume control.  Before adding the preamp in the chain, I directly connect the DAC to the amp.  Then after I bought the DAC, and also try the preamp mode of the DAC.  I confirm that, to my ear, having a preamp gives more definition to the music especially on the bass.  This is the reason I decided to spend more money to upgrade the preamp.
I can also share some of my experience with 6SN7, because my custom 300B use 4 x 6SN7, and I also have a 2A3 that use 6SN7.

i tried the Shuguang WE6SN7, unfortunately, it develops some popping noise at start up after 2 weeks.  The sound is ok, but nothing special.

i also tried the RCA grey bottle.  It is quite popular, but it sound flat.

then I have a pair of Tungsol with D getter, they are pretty good.  Smooth sound, and cheap.

the only 6SN7 that I can hear something different is the Sylvania three hold bad boys, and the two holes around the same time.  The different is very noticeable.  Once put in, the gain seems higher than other 6SN7, more impact and dynamic.  But then, I need to smooth out the sound somewhere.  So, tube rolling is really a rabbit hole, especially I have multiple components all using tubes.  =D 
@ebm

Used VAC or ARC.

i would agree with this, and add c-j

but for all three makers, the really good ones are still $3 grand plus

probably the don sachs is the best bet for $2 grand or a little over

or maybe this ----> https://avahifi.com/collections/preamplifiers/products/fet-valve-cf-slr-preamplifier
Given you may be looking to not add any more tube warmth to your current system I’d second the LTA MZ2 with the caveat you need to also get the upgraded power supply (LPS) option.  The added benefit is that the MZ2 is also an excellent headphone amp, so if you rock ‘phones or may in the future this could be a huge bonus. 

I’d also add the Backert Rhumba 1.3 as another very well-designed tube pre that plays it closer to the detailed/neutral end of the spectrum, and if you can find one used a Rhumba 1.3 Extreme would be even better still.  Just another option for you. 

Lastly, and coming from a little different perspective, you might consider the Bryston BP6 solid state preamp.  What???  Why?  Well, the BP6 is the proverbial straight wire with gain design and sounds as close to nothing at all as anything I’ve heard in my system along with providing a dead silent backdrop to the music..  It will pass through everything it’s fed without filtering or adding anything, but in doing so it lets you to hear things in the music that were previously masked and allows the soundstage to open up and expand with the apparent removal of gunk that was previously clouding the whole performance.  I brought this up because as I look at your system and hear what you’re looking for, the BP6 could be like an audio enema for your system that allows it to open up and express itself more clearly and completely while maintaining all the existing tube goodness.  Anyway, there it is FWIW, and best of luck in your search. 
deHavilland Mercury 3 or UltaVerve 3. Absolutely fantastic; Still wish I had the UltraVerve and hope to have one again.

Cheers,

Scott
Out of the ones you mentioned I only have experience with the Cary and the Sachs.

Only buy the SLP-98 if your system is bright and you want to tame it. A LOT. The Cary is warm and lush to a fault, at least to my ears.

I currently have the Don Sachs Model 2 with all the latest goodies. I am extremely happy with this preamp and have no problem recommending it.

The deHavilland mentioned above is pretty good also.

Oz

Thanks for the replies.  I will check out the deHavilland.

@ozzy62 abour Cary SLP98, I got similar experience on their 300B integrated amp as well.  It sound very lush and warm as you said.  I compared it to my custom built 300B and I like the custom built better because it sounds more musical.  Then I took it to a friend’s place and try it on his JBL 4344, and compared to the Solphia Electric 300B mono block, and we both like the Cary better.  It is so lush and warm and thick that makes the Sophia sound thin in comparison.  So, yes, synergy is the key.  
I got the same result with a SLI-80 signature integrated. Very smooth and non fatiguing, but ultimately boring. Not much resolution.

Oz

Post removed 
I am seriously thinking about it, have been reading reviews since afternoon.  Is that the first generation?  The wiring inside seems not very tidy.

Any idea how’s the sound compared to others such as LTA MZ3 or Modwright?  From what I read, it has a different sound compared to others because it uses a larger power type 85 tube.  Most preamp use 6SN7 and 12AX7 family.  My 300b has 4 x 6SN7 already.  So, I feel it is a good idea to mix a different tube in the chain, rather than adding more 6SN7.
The recommendations  posted here have been good. Personally I believe that the DeHavilland Mercury is an excellent option. I don't feel that additional 6SN7s are needed in the signal path.  Type 85 tube is a good alternative. 
Very simple circuit design. 
Soft start with tube rectifier
I believe that it will match beautifully with a 300b amplifier using 6SN7 driver/input stage,
Charles 
I didn’t jump on the deHavilland.  Somehow, are not sure, maybe due to the tube, maybe not enough reviews ... anyway.

I come across this Doge 8 clarity preamp in my search.  Their DAC and amp receives rave reviews on the internet.  However, no one review the preamp though.  But similar to the DAC and amp, it uses all Clarity caps.  Seems a very solid unit.  Anyone has experience?
https://doge.audio/product/doge-8-clarity-2019-edition/

@gte357s

you come here for advice

numerous well meaning, experienced members here advise that the dehaviland is excellent and a good match for your stated criteria

but you don’t buy ’because not enough reviews’... 🙄
@jjss49 i spent the whole day research on it since I saw the ad.  I think it is a fact that it is not as popular as brands like Don Sachs, LTA and Modwright.  It has good reviews from a smaller community.  Not saying it is bad, but I am just not sure if it is better than other options on my list.  Also, another reason I didn’t jump on it is because it is an older model using a different set of tubes compared to the latest.  The seller doesn’t have original packaging.  I am concern it get damage from shipping.  All these adds up.  Sometimes buying things is like that, based on gut feel.  
@smodtactical  I have been using tube preamp for a long time.  Sticking with tube will have less risk of surprise, I think.
The MZ2 is a fantastic pre amp/ headphone amp, i`m using one with a Pass XA25. Sound is real and lifelike honestly hard to want for more. I will be selling the MZ2 shortly as i ordered a Supratek DHT pre amp.