Preamp under $2,000.

Looking for a preamp under $2k. Found a great deal on a Rotel RC-1590 open box for $1,199. Anyone with experience with them? 
jsal3689
Old Counterpoint or DeHavilland and sent it to me for upgrades.

Happy Listening
Look for a Audio Alchemy DDP-1 (DAC/Pre) with PS 5 outboard power supply for the Rotel price. No comparison
What sound characteristics are you looking for?  What are you using now?
Benchmark LA4 - solid state recommendation for transparency, speed and neutrality

Don Sachs Pre - Tube recommendation for tweakability of sound through tube roll, and ability to (with the right tubes) add the organic life to music without compromising on speed and transparency

Both can be had for $2K with a bit of shopping.
My setup for the preamp:
Amps: 2 ea Primaluna Dialogue 7 tube monoblocks
Speakers: 2 ea Tannoy Revolution XT8F
Turntable: Marantz TT-15s1
Cartridge: Sumiko Blackbird MC
Phono Preamp: Musical Fidelity M6s vinyl
CD Player: Cambridge Audio CXC v2 CD transport
DAC: RME ADI-2

I am currently using a Denon AVR X6500H with preouts as a preamp in pure direct stereo mode. Definitely in need of an upgrade .

There is a Parasound JC-2 for sale right now on Audiogon for $1900.  It is a very nice pre and that is a great price.  I've never seen a bad review.  I have one and have been very pleased with it.  
Conrad Johnson PFR. There's one on US Audio Mart for $1500, new caps, refurbished by CJ guy Bill Thalman.
sooo many out there

a few examples

ayre (for clean and pure ss, zero noise)
w4s top of line (ss cleanliness)
vac vintage (spotlit tubey goodness)
cary slp98 (smooth and sexy)
modwright swl 9.0 (tube midrange magic with ss extension)

On US Audio Mart there’s a Don Sachs pre for $2k and a Linear Tube Audio MZ2 (with upgraded power supply) for $1300.  Both great, but if you can stretch for it the Sachs pre is an end-game level component.  Best of luck. 
soix asked a very important question. Without knowing the preferences of the OP we might as well print out a list of every Preamp that can be purchased in that price range.
Me? I wanted a warm slightly tube sound so I picked up a pristine Audio Research SP-8 ver 5 and have been delighted with it.
BillWojo
I want something that matches well with my Primaluna Dialogue 7 tube monoblocks. They are kind of warm. The Tannoy Revolution xt8f speakers are kind of bright. They go good with the Primalunas. I am pretty sure I want to stick with tubes for the preamp. This is for my second "living room" Sunday morning kind of system. My system in my man room upstairs is killer. Adcom GFE-585se with Dunlavy SC-V speakers. Streaming upstairs, turntable downstairs.
Rogue RP-5 with new tubes on USAaudiomart for $2k.  I think those have a nice phono stage
I have a Musical Fidelity M6 phono stage. My turntable is a Marantz tt-15s1 with a Sumiko Blackbird mc cartridge. I really like the phono setup I have.

Great. Keep it, as the CJ PFR doesn't have one. The rest of the PFR is a Premiere level component, solid state (JFETs), always powered on and has a remote.

Oh, plus it looks beautiful.
I had 2 older Rotel RC 1070s one of them developed some kind of difficulty and I cant remember what but somebody still took it off my hands.  The other one I sold to a friend and its still going strong.  Super bang for buck combination of RC1070 and Rb951. 

have a Musical Fidelity M6 phono stage
Then you could look at a Rogue RP-1 even though it still has a phono stage. Then use the extra cash to fit some nice matched tubes.  I saw a couple on USAudiomart but they gets snapped up fast as they are also buck bang items.

Does anyone know anything about the Musical Fidelity M6 PRE preamp?
I found one for $1,500. I have an M6 phono preamp that is fantastic. It seems to get good reviews.
Now looking over $2K a little. Found an AR LS17SE. I am between it and A Rogue RP5. The AR is older but in good shape. Both tube. Does one stand above the other??
If you don’t need a lot of bells an whistles, nothing at this price can touch the Linear Tube Audio MZ2. Nothing!
Check the gain on LTA. Could not get it past ten o’clock in my system. Sounds good though. 
Check reviews on the Schiit Audio Freyda. Supposed to be excellent, Under a grand tube hybrid. 
I think they are enjoying a surge in sales and there is a wait on products.
I am waiting for my Raganok integrated.
My Sciit has been backed up several weeks. 
If interested in a tube based pre I would check into Quicksilver or Aric Audio.
I am an MF Dealer.  The older M6 is a nice unit.  It was replaced with an M6s Pre that retails for $1890 so $1500 for an older unit is not a particularly good deal.  

It is detailed and relatively neutral.  Like most MF products, it is made in Taiwan which results in a strong value.  They have been shifting some production to the EU but I don't think this is one of the units that has moved.  For the money, it is brilliant.  

Most places will give you 10% off and free shipping on a new unit which will put you within spiting distance in terms of price on the used unit.  

The other unit I would look at seriously if you can find one is the Ayre K-5xeMP.  You should be able to get this For $1700 to $1900 used and it is worth every nickle.  I used one for years and loved it.  Probably the item I regret selling the most.    
To OP: I would recommend that you take a look at Doge Audio 8 Tube Preamp: https://doge.audio/product/doge-8-clarity-2019-edition/.

I have been using one for over five years now and extremely happy with it. I use it with a pair of Doge Audio 9 Mono Power Amp to drive the Magnepan 1.7i. I also pair it with a set of Manley Snapper Mono Power to drive the Tannoy Turnberry. It's not a very popular tube preamp here in Audiogon, but it has such high performance, not to mention the value ($1,500), that there are cult follows with this preamp.