McIntosh 2105 pairing with Klipsch Cronwall’s?

Hello. I am inquiring about a fully restored Mcintosh 2105 amp pairing to a pair of Klipsch Heritage Cornwall iv’s. Has anyone had experience with this and can anyone please give me their opinion? I am hoping the warm sound of Mcintosh may play out well with the high horn frequencies of the Klipsch? thank you

128x128moose89

I happen to be qualified to comment on that particular pairing as I lived with it for a couple of years, and I thought that it was wonderful. Full and large sounding with a strong foundation, and never harsh. This was with second generation Cornwalls.

Mcintosh solid state power amplifiers using Autoformers definitely have a sound to them (everything does), and I would try before you buy. You either like them, or you don't. Likely at the price it is selling for, there are many more amplifiers available to you. I had a mint 2105, with a few mods such as a 10 gauge aftermarket power cord replacement for the inadequate one supplied. Made a lot of improvement, imo. However, when I purchased my first Nuforce STA200 (for shits and giggles) in 2017, this new little amp was superior to many amps I owned at the time, including the 2105. This, on a pair of Lascalas. All I am saying, there are other presentations that are superior, imo, than the 2105. However, if you never owned a Mc power amp, maybe you should, for the experience. BTW, there are a few mods you can do to the CWIVs that are spoken about on the web that you should consider. Possibly not what you wanted to hear, but there it is. You will likely be bombarded with other recommendations of other power amps (some tubes), so take your time. You did ask for opinions. My best, MrD.

@mrdecibel 

You are assuming that he is shopping for a 2105, but it sounds to me like he already owns one and is wondering about the match-up. Maybe he'll clarify.

Yes. It’s being shipped. Fully restored with new caps. Has chrome patinas of course in back. 

Then why the question, if it is paid for and has been shipped? ANY amp will match up with CWIV, impedance and efficiency wise. Enjoy it! My best, MrD.

Since the Cornwall IV are I believe 94db efficient, you will have more than enough power for them, and then some. 

Congratulations ... let us know how they pair to your ears ... loudness will not be a problem

My "somewhat close" experience was with a well-maintained Mc2100 (2105 minus the meters) and Altec Voice of the Theaters (with large unforgiving horns, IMO). I enjoyed that setup for about ten/fifteen years, with TTs and later with CDs.

As I branched out, starting in about 1990, I found that many amplifiers -- including Mc SS and certainly the Mc60 and Mc225 amps that I still own today -- sounded smoother. I attribute the harsh sound to the 2100, and I'm sure the PA horns of the Altecs emphasized the harshness I heard. I don't know, but I would expect the Klipsch voice will be slightly or significantly more forgiving.

Of course, depending on room characteristics, equipment arrangement, music source, and music mix, your setup will be different. 

Let us know how it goes.

Congratulations on your new Amps!

Even though you already placed the order, it is great to read/learn from all of the responses.  I hope they meet your hopes and expectations.

I'm currently running a McIntosh C-32 preamp and MC2205 to a pair of Klipsch Forte IV's in a very large room.  I'm very pleased with the performance of the system. 

Hi moose89,

First, I am sorry for such a long message, but I just had to reply to your post because it really relates to my life with audio gear!! In 1982, I bought a Brand New McIntosh C33 Pre-Amp. Also, I bought a pair of Brand New Klipsch Cornwall’s. Along with this, I bought a Pre-Owned McIntosh MC2105 Amplifier (Vintage 1971). Also, I bought a Brand New Bang & Olufsen Beogram 3404 Turntable. I am being truthful here when I say that to this day people still tell me that it was the best sounding system that they had ever heard! One time I took all of this and I had set it all up at a party at the local “Firemen’s Union Hall”. They had a ”Raised” Stage in the Hall. This was my opportunity to really test it all out. It was unbelievable how good it sounded! That night, I played “Madman Across The Water” (Vinyl) by Elton John. When the Violin section in that song “Kicked In”, it was unbelievable! You just can’t beat Cornwall’s “Horn Tweeters & Mid-Range”! This system sounded so good that every weekend I “Cranked It Up” for 15 years and my neighbors never complained! You could hear it for a half block away and at the time these were older neighbors! I would go outside the next morning and no one ever said a word about the loud music.

After all of them years I traded in the McIntosh C33 & McIntosh MC2105. BIG MISTAKE, but I could not afford to keep them! The only reason I did so was because I wanted to have “Home Theater” and McIntosh did not offer that at the time. I bought a B & K A/V Processor. It really had great sound with the Cornwall’s! But, after all of those years the B & K went out 2 years ago. In 2022 I bought a new McIntosh MC257 Amp (7 Channel) & a New McIntosh MX123 Processor. You sacrifice sound quality with music and a 7 Channel Amp. It does sound excellent, but the McIntosh MC2105 Amp was better!! Now, get this! After 40 years, I still have the Klipsch Cornwall's. They sound as good as the day I bought them! Every few years I will shop around and listen to new speakers. But, the Cornwall's can’t be beat! I have always been careful not to send distortion through them. If it is a clean signal, these old Cornwall’s will really “Ring Out”!

I don’t know how Klipsch builds Cornwall’s these days, but they built them like a “Tank” back then!  I am a long time member of Audiogon, but this is only my second “Post”. I read the “Forum” everyday, but I am always too lazy to “Post”!  I I “Posted” this in hopes that maybe it helps with your question!

The 2105 is more old school Mc sounding and very very smooth.  It sounds great with the older Klipsch Heritage, even up to the III Forte and Cornwall.  

To my ears the IV Cornwall and Forte are smoother sounding that the IIIs and the match with the 2105 might be too polite.