Experience with Luxman L-550 AXII

I'm considering the Luxman L-550 AXII to drive a system with Klipsch Cornwall IVs during summer months.  My Class A 805 SET amp is a 100lb space heater and I dislike having my package AC unit on the roof of my music room running more just to keep up with the heat the amp creates. 

I've heard some folks love the pairing between the CW IV and the LUX 550.  I am a touch concerned though that this Lux might not be warm enough for my tastes.  Although, I have tried a Marantz PM KI Ruby integrated that uses a Ken Ishiwata tuned Class D design that sounds lovely--despite my bias that it would sound too lean and cool. 

I do prefer a little warmth yet synergy is everything. 

Does anyone have experience with this amp?   I know this is likely something that I'll just have to try out anyway but I'm looking for user experiences, thoughts, and even other recommendations. 

128x128jbhiller

I have the larger version - the 590axii - paired with Buchardt s400 mkii speakers. I was concerned the pairing might not be warm enough. Paired with the Buchardt speakers, I’ve found the 590axii plenty warm. 

Hope that helps. 

I also have the 590AXII with Harbeth 30.2s.  It's warm, but not as warm sounding as Tubes. I actually like that it is a bit more detailed then tubes also. And it's way warmer sounding then Class D of which I have owned many different ones (I'll probably receive insults for saying that, but I'm only reporting my experience.)

Yes, it also gives off heat, but not nearly as much as tubes.

I have the 590AXII, its not a warm amp. Its a neutral amp that matches well with easy to drive speakers. The amp is very refined and detail, I've alwasy found Klipsch speakers to sound a little bright due to the horn tweeter.  You cannot compare a class D amp with Luxman Class A.  I pair my Luxman with Silverline Sonata II and they sound awesome.  My Yamaha AS-3200 is warm sounding.

Thank you folks. Sounds like I'll need to give it a go.  Your responses are checking off my initial concern boxes in a good way.  

Even though I want to avoid a cool sounding amp, I don't necessarily need warmth. I like having different gear for different sonic moods.  

I have the 550ax2 with tannoy Arden ....so 15 inch coaxial.... Very well behaved and great control of bass with delicious midrange. Any speaker above 92/93db sens should behave with these

I have the 550AX II and would say that the phono stage is excellent. Given my listening tastes and background as a musician, I do not find the amp to be "warm-sounding," especially when compared to the various tube components I’ve owned over the years. Speakers are Sonus Faber GH and while the Lux does a good job driving them, I still prefer tubes.

As many others have observed, Luxman build quality and reliability is superb. I suspect you will like the 550AX II. It runs warm, but much cooler than tubes of course. :)

A suggestion for an integrated which you might like a lot is the Wells Audio Majestic.  I enjoyed mine a great deal but gifted it to a close family member.  IMO, it's warmer-sounding than the Lux.

One last thing: I’m quite intrigued by the Ruby you mentioned and hope to audition one some day.

If you are looking for warm intrgrated, might check oout the Hegal 390. It’s a very nice amp, but of course the luxman looks nicer. 

go for it. the ultra smooth sound of the class A Luxman is a perfect combo with your Cornwalls.

Class A amps like Pass Labs are a top performer with the Klipsch heritage series and a desirable combination., so is the class A Luxman

Thank you. I’m very tempted right now. But given all the work I’m doing on my house this summer, I need to start saving. 

@jbhiller

I will say that the Lux 550AXII is here to say unless, unless, I go for a Pass Integrated. The Luxman functionality alone is mighty compelling as are build quality, reliability, country of origin, aesthetics, and resale value. Another huge plus is that I can listen to many genres of music all day without an iota of fatigue. My speakers are vintage Sonus Faber. Never heard Klipsch’s.

Good luck, sir.

@ps,  thank you.  I appreciate your candor.  You focused in on the very key features that I find attractive in the Lux.  

@jbhiller

Just go for it. Continual searching may yield other options, but likely none better than the Lux at this point in time for your audio chain.  Chances are you'd enjoy and keep it awhile like many other have done.  If you later decide to move on, the experience of listening to the Lux would be very helpful in choosing the next sonic direction - more warmth, slam, etc.