Compare Bob Carver Black Magic 25 and Rogue Stereo 100?

Can anyone help me decide which tube may sound better, a -  Bob Carver Black Magic 25 or Rogue Stereo 100?  I will match either/or to :Martin Logan 20i.  Carver is new but only 20wpc. Rogue is used but 100wpc.  Both are online so no way to audition.  Thank you all for suggestions.  

128x128deebie47

Both are online so no way to audition.

^That^ says enough to know that neither will likely be a keeper.

hence; I would proceed slowly.

I sort of hate to mention it, but i also hate to half-a$$ a system…

The earlier model AIYAMA A-07, for ~$70 from Amazon, is being used on surround and center channels in a 2.1/5.1 system… and if you are hard up for an amp it is not bad. My 2.1 side is a bit on the high end side… and the 5.1 is also a but high end at the AVR, but quickly goes economy at the amps.

Do not get the newer A-07 Pro

My daughter put one on a very modest stereo system as well. She has heard some pretty expensive systems, and agreed that it was very much fit for purpose.

IMO you would better off with a simple, or a descent Class-D, over the Carver or the Rogue. Or a better tube example…

But a gun to the head would result in Rogue… or a used PrimaLuna or ARC.

The OP asks which to choose over 2 different tube amps and gets a class D recommendation. Go with the Rogue, carver has had some problems recently.

I have never heard the Carver but here are the facts-

with stock tubes it puts out 25 watts per channel. 

it does not appear to have a large bank of filtering or storage capacitors. 

it weighs 19 lbs. 

reports are circulating that it actually produces less power than claimed. 

I have owned the Stereo 100.  It produces 100 verified watts per channel with the KT120 tubes. 

It has a very powerful, impactful, dynamic sound that is more impressive than its power spec. 

It has a large bank of filtering and storage capacitors - at least 8 large caps on the chassis. 

it weighs 60 lbs but is also more expensive. 

the stereo 100 is a winner, if you have the funds by all means this one is recommended.   

I like how Carver changed from running huge KT120 at "loafing" levels in the 275, to running EL84 (Black Magic) hard with the same tiny (practically microscopic) transformers. Consider getting service on these amps after the latest Carver co. incarnation folds and inevitably pops up again as a different legal entity. If you want a sweet EL84 sound, I’d much rather have a console-pull refurbished or buy a Manley.

Rogue had always offered fantastic service and support, and they use extremely robust PSUs and transformers with no BS. 100 Watts is really 100 Watts here. They won’t fold in 5 years and pop up again as "Neu Rogue". 19 lbs Black Magic versus 60 lbs Stereo 100. How is this even a question lol. The Rogue will have dynamics and punch for days, but won’t sound as sweet and warm as a low power EL84 amp - but again I’d do any other option there before Carver.

@invalid Wrote:

The OP asks which to choose over 2 different tube amps and gets a class D recommendation. Go with the Rogue, carver has had some problems recently.

I agree! OP Rogue Stereo 100.

Mike

Easy @invalid - the OP said they did not have the opportunity to listen to either one, and to be fair I closed with…

But a gun to the head would result in Rogue… or a used PrimaLuna or ARC.

The main point is buying a relatively expensive amp without being able to listen to it, could result in wasted $.

And while the Rogue is a better bet than a Carver, it is not a sure bet.
A used PL or ARC is more of a sure bet.

@holmz  the class D isn't a sure bet either and saying it's better than the rogue or carver is just speculation also.

OP, are you based in the U.S.? 

TMR has a few used Rogue Stereo 100 amps available today with a money back guarantee, and Carver also offers 30 day trials.

Trying at home yourself would yield the best results if possible.

No doubt - be prepared to buy and return, or buy used gear you can resell for low loss. Used Rogue gear generally has good resale value. It's best to get two amps in at once and compare yourself over several days (at least). I can tell you an EL84 amp will sound very different from that Rogue 100!

I bought one Black Magic 25 for my kef blade 2 & it sounded so moist I bought another to go mono. If these can make blades sing & dance they’ll kick arse on most rigs.

Anyone want more of the real deal skinny, dm me.

As to the ’practically microscopic’ transformers comment: not just wrong but ignorant.

holmz the class D isn’t a sure bet either and saying it’s better than the rogue or carver is just speculation also

True @invalid - but a $70 mistake is easier pill to swallow than a half attempt at a good amp. (And the OP is also spectulating and claimed to have not heard either amp… so what is another speculation on top of the 1st two?)

When I ordered one I was pretty sure I would be sending it back.
I actually ordered a Topping PA-5 as well.
The Topping was hissing like a snake, and the Aiyima was surprisingly good.
So the Topping went back to Amazon.

My tube amps sound better, but it was certainly solid in the $70 range, and I expected to use it in the interim until I figure out the HT.
But I’ll likely stick with it as the video part is distracting and the sound is pretty good.

Anyhow the point is that I also have been looking at multi thousand $ amps, and I would be wiling loose a $70 bet a lot easier than a $1000 bet.

This is good advice from @lpretiring :

OP, are you based in the U.S.?

TMR has a few used Rogue Stereo 100 amps available today with a money back guarantee, and Carver also offers 30 day trials.

Trying at home yourself would yield the best results if possible.

I would be trying the Rogue way ahead of a Carver.
And some Class-Ds ahead of the Carver.

Holmz - the OP (Buyer) is not simply speculating when he says he has not heard either amp mentioned here.  The OP (Buyer - Me) can tell you I have NOT HEARD either product and that is not speculation - it is FACT.  I think I should know.

Well, thank you all so very much.  Your thoughts and ideas have made my decision an easy one to make.  I appreciate all the help - Thank You!