Best Rock Album in 2013

Ok folks, let's get another one started. Best yearly thread for us rock fans. Most of the albums are starting to be released.

Have to say, Atoms for Peace doesn't do anything for me despite the "superband" status. Where is Flea on the record?

Lots of potential coming with Phoenix, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, the National, Postal Service, Vampire Weekend, etc.

Not rock (it's indie), but I like Toro y Moi "Anything in Return" so far. Going through the new Depeche Mode currently- pretty up and down effort.
keithr
I only listen to rock. Here's 3 good ones from '13...

Valley of the Sun - Electric Talons of the Thunderhawk

Sasquatch - IV

Monster Magnet - Last Patrol
Mind Made Up by The Tedeschi-Trucks band is really, really good. I also like the new one from Brendan Benson. However, that was released just this week, so I need a few more spins before I could really stump for it.
Ditto Clockwork Angels - one the finest rock albums ever. A future classic for sure.
Rush - Clockwork Angels

Playing, songwriting, musicianship, and production light years ahead of most of other stuff coughed up this year.
In keeping with 98% of the "artists" listed in this thread: Best Rock Album in 2013
I offer for consideration:

Boy George - This Is What I Do
Sting - The Last Ship
Imagine Dragons - Demons
Miley Cyrus - Bangerz
Britney Spears - Work B**ch
Katy Perry - PRISM

rock on audio gone...

ps: reissues are just that
Love the new Arcade Fire, with a fantastic dance rhythm through most tracks. Will sound incredible live.
New Frans Ferd album and Arctic Monkeys are super. NIN is a great return to form.
Agree on Hesitation Marks. Pearl Jam Thunderbolt LP is also great and well pressed except for a few nagging pops. Others good vinyl includes Mark Lanegan Imitations, Bill Callahan Dream River(more Townes than rock), Dave Davies I Will Be Me, The Dead Veneta Oregon 8/27/72, Dylan Another Self Portrait, and especially the re-release of Chris Whitley's Living with the Law.

The only dog I've found so far is Van Dyke Parks Songs Cycled. He really needs to stop singing.
Just listened to Nine Inch Nails "Hesitation Marks" on vinyl. I thought it was quite impressive. Fidelity was superior, didn't hear much compression and the tunes were all entertaining.
Slaw...I agree! The Music On Vinyl reissue of "Motherland" is stunning. I've always really liked Natalie, whether as lead singer for the 10,000 Maniacs or as a solo artist.

Highly recommended!!!
Natalie Merchant "Motherland". Although originally released in 2001, it was just released for the first time on vinyl. Wow! It has become one of my top 5 female vocalists lps of all time. Get it! This one will stay with you.
Valerie June "Pushin' Against A Stone"
Bill Callahan "Dream River".... I'm going to say it here. This is my nomination for album of the year! If you're not familiar with him, check him out. This guy is THE definition of an artist, IMO.
Laura Veirs "Warp @ Weft"
Starflyer 59 "IAMACEO"
Patty Griffin "American Kid"

talkin' to myself.....?
Robyn Hitchcock "Love From London", keeps getting better with every play.
"Regions of Light", side one = very good, side two not so good. I hate it when you get two completely different efforts on one lp!
Yeah, as stated Foxygen's album is really nice!
Like the Stones meets the Beatles sound. I love it.
Synthfreek, okay, perhaps I should have said "nothing that the Foolish Foxes haven't already done better." So far I've only heard Muchacho and Here's To Taking It Easy. I think Houck picked up the FF's sound somewhere along the road after his fairly straight and honest alt country album HTTIE. Any further recommendations?
Jane's Addiction Live in NYC/July 5, 2011 at Terminal 5. JA does it live like no band I've seen since The Who in '70. Excellent SQ on double vinyl.
Dgarrestson...Phosphorescent had been putting out records for years before Fleet Foxes came along...you have that backward.
Not strictly rock but closer:

Robben Ford, "Bringing It Back Home"

Robben playing is so soulful.

Larry Goldings on the B3 is delicious.
Todd, I picked up Regions of Light on vinyl today and am enjoying it. Jim James has matured through some strong recent projects, esp. with Jay Farrar on Multitudes and the George Harrison tribute. Monsters of Folk has its ups and downs, as has MMJ.
While I don't think you could classify him as 'rock', I will nonetheless highly recommend Pokey LaFarge's new LP on 3rd Man records. If you enjoy Dan Hicks and Leon Redbone (and frankly, who doesn't), you find this a top notch performance and recording.
If not STELLAR, Muchacho is very good-- but all that affected whooping and hollering in too many spots causes hiccups. Nice cover photo, looks like he's having good fun with those two girls in bed. Not much here that Fleet Foxes, Daniel Lanois,and Calexico didn't do first.
Foxygen's new album called, We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic is sooooo strong. If you like the Stones I think you will love this album. I'm not a huge Stones fan but I do love this album !
Phosphorescent's new one is STELLAR!! Called Muchacho
It's mellow and Melodic ,yes, but it is flawless . 8.8 on Pitchfork
I have listened to this album 4 times straight through. Give this one a listen.
The Jake Bugg album is fantastic!!
My favorite so far is Jim James, Regions of Light and God.
This guy is a freakin Genius !! A Perfect album ! IMHO
I came in earlier with the Eeel's "Wonderful Glorious" now I have another to add to the list which is "Jake Bugg" by Jake Bugg it has the best 4 song opening sequence since Foreigner 4 & song number 5 is probably the best on the album.
..... actually, right now, I believe the Jason Isbell lp should be a top contender for lp of the year in all categories. Excellent songwriting/excecution!
probably not "rock"... but this lp needs to be out there. Jason Isbell "Southeastern".
Mount Moriah "Miracle Temple", while you're at it, get their S/T too. This is the most COMPLETE band I've heard in some time. They can pull off about anything.
Bongo , I named my daughter after Bob, her name is Claire Marley Sherman.
This is way slower than last year as far as discovering new amazIng music.
Last year I discovered some awesome new bands. Alt J, Here We Go Magic, Cave Singers, Damien Jurado, Glen Hansard, Ben Howard, and many others.
That said there are a couple of gems I'm enjoying.
I can't imagine Vampire Weekend ever writing a more complete and satisfying album. A perfect album to my ears.
Toddnkaya

I also love the 35th Anniversary of Kaya. I am probably the only person on this thread who figured out your name.
Loomisjohnson,

Pssst! (It's Latin.) I know you knew that. It means there is no arguing with taste.

Neal
I am a huge Flamimg Lips fan, or at least was (I've seen them three times), anyway, this new album, The Terror, SIMPLY SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cmon, this is nothing but stupid narcissistic, amelodic, electronic wanking, belly button, g(r)azing. I'm taking this one back.

And another thing, Wayne, get the hell off the TV!!!

Ah, much better.