Best Rock Album in 2013

Ok folks, let's get another one started. Best yearly thread for us rock fans. Most of the albums are starting to be released.

Have to say, Atoms for Peace doesn't do anything for me despite the "superband" status. Where is Flea on the record?

Lots of potential coming with Phoenix, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, the National, Postal Service, Vampire Weekend, etc.

Not rock (it's indie), but I like Toro y Moi "Anything in Return" so far. Going through the new Depeche Mode currently- pretty up and down effort.
keithr

Showing 13 responses by slaw

Laura Veirs "Warp @ Weft"
Starflyer 59 "IAMACEO"
Patty Griffin "American Kid"

talkin' to myself.....?
"Regions of Light", side one = very good, side two not so good. I hate it when you get two completely different efforts on one lp!
Robyn Hitchcock "Love From London", keeps getting better with every play.
Lwin: I second "Wonderful, Glorious", IMO, maybe his best yet, certainly his best sonically. Watch out for the 'DEEP' etchings on side 1 @ 3, they'll send your stylus/arm back from the direction in which it came, in a hurry.

Dgarretson: You're so right about R Thompson "Electric" being overly compressed. In this way it was a huge dissappointment to me, otherwise it could be a much more enjoyable lp. Any doubters, just put on "Sweet Warrior" or "Old Kit Bag", no comparison! (LP)
..... admitting this was R Thompson's latest label, (New West).... this is a perfect example, IMO, of how a great artist with great songs can slip a few notches with those of us who still care about SONICS.

Maybe, sonically, his worst sounding lp ever?
regarding "Atoms For Peace", I hear Flea on every bass note! I enjoy listening, but it's such an out of the mainstream record that it would be hard for me to even consider it for ROTY.
regarding the latest Hendrix... It's a nice addition to a record collection but IMO, it's not in the running for ROTY.
I promise, my last post here today.

Starflyer59. "IAMACEO" My favorite! Check them out! Buy the vinyl at their record label site, now!
Mount Moriah "Miracle Temple", while you're at it, get their S/T too. This is the most COMPLETE band I've heard in some time. They can pull off about anything.
probably not "rock"... but this lp needs to be out there. Jason Isbell "Southeastern".
..... actually, right now, I believe the Jason Isbell lp should be a top contender for lp of the year in all categories. Excellent songwriting/excecution!
Valerie June "Pushin' Against A Stone"
Bill Callahan "Dream River".... I'm going to say it here. This is my nomination for album of the year! If you're not familiar with him, check him out. This guy is THE definition of an artist, IMO.
Natalie Merchant "Motherland". Although originally released in 2001, it was just released for the first time on vinyl. Wow! It has become one of my top 5 female vocalists lps of all time. Get it! This one will stay with you.