Best Rock Album in 2013

Ok folks, let's get another one started. Best yearly thread for us rock fans. Most of the albums are starting to be released.

Have to say, Atoms for Peace doesn't do anything for me despite the "superband" status. Where is Flea on the record?

Lots of potential coming with Phoenix, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, the National, Postal Service, Vampire Weekend, etc.

Not rock (it's indie), but I like Toro y Moi "Anything in Return" so far. Going through the new Depeche Mode currently- pretty up and down effort.
keithr

Showing 9 responses by dgarretson

At least Atoms for Peace surpasses Yorke's last solo and sounds closer to Radiohead. BTW this is a really fine sounding and good looking 2x 45rpm LP set with the special edition embossed gatefold.

Other good ones, also on LP:

Christopher Owens, Lysandre

Dawn McCarthy & Bonnie Prince Billy, What the Brothers Sang

Richard Thompson, Electric (unfortunately over-compressed)

Thurston Moore, Chelsea Light Moving

Nick Cave & the Seeds, Push The Sky Away (currently touring & in top form)
Dave Grohl's Sound City film soundtrack! All analog all the way through a Neve 8028:

http://www.fastcocreate.com/1682339/dave-grohl-explains-how-a-70s-era-recording-console-rocks-his-world-in-sound-city

with Josh Homme, Stevie Nicks, Paul McCartney, Rick Springfield, Trent Reznor, Jim Keltner, Robert Levon Been and many others.
Ditto the new Bowie-- a really well-crafted effort and excellent sounding LP.

Also in heavy rotation:

Johnny Marr, The Messenger
Iron & Wine, Ghost on Ghost
The Flaming Lips, The Terror
Son Volt, Honky Tonk
Three satisfying LPs:

The Besnard Lakes: Until in Excess, Imperceptible UFO. The best of the Montreal sound, IMO.

Deerhunter: Monomania. The dissonance requires patience, but no more than on some Eels albums and well worth the trouble.

Calexico: Spiritoso. Algiers live with an orchestra.
If not STELLAR, Muchacho is very good-- but all that affected whooping and hollering in too many spots causes hiccups. Nice cover photo, looks like he's having good fun with those two girls in bed. Not much here that Fleet Foxes, Daniel Lanois,and Calexico didn't do first.
Todd, I picked up Regions of Light on vinyl today and am enjoying it. Jim James has matured through some strong recent projects, esp. with Jay Farrar on Multitudes and the George Harrison tribute. Monsters of Folk has its ups and downs, as has MMJ.
Jane's Addiction Live in NYC/July 5, 2011 at Terminal 5. JA does it live like no band I've seen since The Who in '70. Excellent SQ on double vinyl.
Synthfreek, okay, perhaps I should have said "nothing that the Foolish Foxes haven't already done better." So far I've only heard Muchacho and Here's To Taking It Easy. I think Houck picked up the FF's sound somewhere along the road after his fairly straight and honest alt country album HTTIE. Any further recommendations?
Agree on Hesitation Marks. Pearl Jam Thunderbolt LP is also great and well pressed except for a few nagging pops. Others good vinyl includes Mark Lanegan Imitations, Bill Callahan Dream River(more Townes than rock), Dave Davies I Will Be Me, The Dead Veneta Oregon 8/27/72, Dylan Another Self Portrait, and especially the re-release of Chris Whitley's Living with the Law.

The only dog I've found so far is Van Dyke Parks Songs Cycled. He really needs to stop singing.