XA5400ES owners - what are you using now?

I am one of many who bought Sony's best 10 years ago, in no small part due to the huge thread here about this player. Well I am ready for a newer player now and I would like something with external DAC inputs. I am considering Yamaha CDS2100\3000, McIntosh MCD500\550, Marantz SA10 and a few Esoteric units. I want to stay with a mainstream brand for service and parts issues down the road. 

I'd love to hear what you are using now and how it compares to the 5400.
128x128anotherjblnut
About 18months ago I finally moved on to a fully modded EVS Oppo 205 with an upgraded power supply. Definitely worth it. My guess is my player competes with or betters a lot more expensive DAC's and Disc Players.  It does seems like some excellent DAC's are coming out at pretty reasonable prices though. 
I still have the Sony, but I haven't used it for several years.  I've been using an Oppo 205, and now moved to an Ayre DX-5 DSD.  But in fact I rarely spin discs anymore, preferring Roon files via Ethernet to an Ayre QX-5 DAC. 
French Neodio Origine S2 Cd player has the digital input and is perhaps  the best stand alone cd player extant today..Granted, its about 13 grand , and only sold direct from France, but well worth it .....
Rega top of the line cd player is also quite good I d say.... And its a major brand with no lack of  service issues down the road ....
Having said that, depending on how  "high resolution" your system is, a top of the line Sony Blu ray player used as a transport and used with great coaxial cable (Cardas, Ensemble) and any good DAC will give these run for their money ....
The OP didn’t mention two issues 
1) Does he listen to SACDs? Does he need Blu Ray?2) Budget 

I use my Sony as a transport into a Bryston DAC3, which accepts HDMI.  For SACD, the DSD is outputted from the Sony.  If your budget can stretch that far, then you can use the Sony as a transport.  The Bryston has 4 HDMI inputs so you can add a cheap Sony Blu Ray if you wish, or you could sell the 5400 and just the the Blu Ray as your transport for all silver discs 

Yes I listen to SACD as well as CD, and want a unit whose internal DAC can be externally accessed for DSD streams. No need for Blu Ray as this is 2-channel audio only and I have none of those. Budget would cover any of the units I already mentioned (target $3-4k give or take - somewhere south of dCS gear ). I am ready to move the Sony on to a new owner.
I think this is a great time for you to think out side of the CD spinning box and go server, hard drive, or an all in one system like the blue sound vault (load your CD's and forget) and lose the CD spinners for good and stream from a hard drive you will never have to deal with a failed CD drive again. CD spinners are a dyeing format, I know there are many old folks here who are dedicated to them but in this day and age its just not necessary to get the same sound. 

Get your self something like the Blue Sound Vault2i load all your CD's and never have to deal with them again. Add a better DAC as needed and your set. there are other methods of losing the CD player but there has never been a better time to move on.
I am very happy with my Bryston DAC3, which allows me to listen to the DSD layer of my SACDS, and I use the Opp 105 and the Sony as a transport for both.
I don’t know if anyone has recommended the Marantz KI SACD player but it’s in your range of budget and I believe has digital inputs.  I am not a fan of the Marantz house sound, but ymmv.  I really think however that you would best spend the money on a quality DAC or combination DAC-Transport.
I have had the Modwright Sony 5400 and now have the Modwright Marantz 8005.  It was an upgrade from the Sony in the areas of sound stage, instrument articulation and bass response.  I have heard good things about the Marantz SA-10 but have never heard it, but it seems that Marantz is still dedicated to the CD/Sacd format.
Still using the 5400.

Can not be beat for the $$$ still today.

I own three, and have a spare laser assembly.
The 2 McIntosh you mentioned are discontinued items, the MCD600 is their latest.  I never felt the XA5400ES was Sony's best player but it was their latest.  I went from the Sony SCD777ES to an Esoteric UX-3.  It will be my last SACD player (I hope).