Whats on your turntable tonight?

For me its the first or very early LP's of:
Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1
James thanks so very much for the Charles Lloyd concert info. Love, love love Healdsburg- home of DAVIS Wines :-) iF any of you visit it’s what we serve as our “ house “ vino
The Last Record Album .... Little Feat.

To my ears the Avid/ origin live/ Black Cadenza is really kicking the 401,s butt.
Which is a bit of a surprise tbh.
Seems to be a lot more life and dynamics and definitely more bass depth and timbre.
Also picked up some new albums while in indiana from fye, all reduced heavily.
Hard to ignore original pricing of $28 and $34 down to $9.99.....

Van Morrison, Jackson Browne, Yo La Tengo.
Nine Lives ..... Reo Speedwagon.

Hate to say it but this is a terrible recording, no bass or mids all tipped up treble. Really irritating!
Record #5 from my Mono box set.

Josef Krips conducts The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

Mozart Symphony #35 in D .(Haffner)

Haydn Symphony #104 in D.(London)
Welcome home @uberwaltz

Glad to hear you are enjoying that arm. Amazing the arm made a significant difference. You indicated it didn’t have the ‘grunt’ of the Garrard prior. Doe the new arm improve upon that?

BTW, you might have missed it, but I am very pleased with the Ortofon 2M Mono cart.
Thanks Brian.

The only change to the Avid was the arm.
Previously it had same cart and expert setup.
Only the arm changed from  Rega to Origin Live Encounter.
Profound difference and still tinkering with vta......

I did read your take on the 2Mmono which mirrored my experience.
Hard to beat for the money I think.
And quiet as a church mouse!
Received the following this week so far:

Bettye Lavette "Blackbirds" & "The 1972 Muscle Shoals Sessions" ROG
Colter Wall "Western Swing & Waltzes and Other Punchy Songs"
Sly and The Family Stone "Live at The Fillmore East" RSD

all either sealed or unplayed
It's interesting how you can pick up a beat up looking mono lp and it will play quiet.
Slaw
all to do with cart movement in one direction only, assuming you are talking about playing it with a mono cart.

May still play fairly quiet with a stereo cart, never tried.

Nothing new in the mail for me this week, just the ones I brought back from Indiana.
Record #6.

Jascha Horenstein conducts the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

Wagner, the Flying Dutchman Overture And Siegfried Idyll.
Have always thought classical pieces should have been cut from the inner groove going out to the edge.
The inner grooves are worst place possible for most classical high octane finales!
Think how easy it would be to reproduce the cannons in the 1812 that way.......
All you would need is a arm lifter to stop the stylus doing a swan dive off the edge.
Oh and an enterprising cutter to begin with....
@tomic601 ,

Pulled out my NY "After the Gold Rush" 2009/ "mastered from the original analog masters" according to the hype sticker.....NY Archives official release series. Putting it on now.
Forgive me this:

by the inner groove distortion dynamic finale, our intrepid listener is fast asleep...
@slaw suspect given better quality from his archive releases that they fixed what the could while staying analog...
Down by the River gets into the same issues as Golrush with overdub harmony vocals - layed in with no headroom ??? Else is just fantastic early Grunge....
The 96 x 24 Qobuz version gets a spin....
much less apparent but it’s overdriven backing vocals.... btw w a decent DAC it’s no contest, yet we shall order comparable vinyl.... because it’s what we do !!!!!
And Neils voice has much more lower tonal resonance and reach, you can really hear it in the bits w less reverb...
Never really noticed " no headroom" until you mentioned it. Just assumed it is what it is. Thanks a lot. Ha ha
The Grateful Dead ‎– Anthem Of The Sun. WB reissue, 1973ish. Originally 1968
@bdp24 

My copy of Harvest sounds great.  I purchased new a couple of years ago.  Reprise MSK 2277.   
Nick
Through with "ATGR" and have to admit it does sound veiled/muffled compared to the last time I heard it several upgrades/years ago. Didn't once tap a foot or do the head-bob.
Harvest went back in print recently and there should still be a few sealed copies around. It’s a carefully produced (re)release. I really like my copy. It’s better than the old pp I have. It won’t bring you down.
Saw a Steve Guttenberg review where he spoke highly of Neil Young "Road Rock" cd, of course that was while listening through a $16k Luxman. Pulling out my lp copy to first clean then play. Haven’t listened to this in ages.
Up now, Neil Young & Crazy Horse "Rust Never Sleeps" from the Official Release Series Discs 8.5-12. From my memory, these sound fantastic.

BTW, got this through Insound a few years back for 60% off.
From the Witchwood .... Strawbs.

Very Nice original 1970 A&M recording with excellent sonics 
"American Stars & Bars" from the above box set. Noticed none of these lps have been US cleaned. Got my weekend work piling up on me.......
Yes Rust is super clean as is my recent ( last couple of years Harvest )

I really Dig Old Ways also
Thanks fellers. I remember liking the sound of Harvest a lot. Neil was of course going for the Band brown album sound, as was Elton John on Tumbleweed Connection, said Bernie Taupin in an interview. Kenny Buttrey’s Sonor drums sound fantastic, he being a studio drummer having learned how to tension and damp drums to get a good recorded sound. And his playing is SO tasty, as is that of bassist Tim Drummond (Kenny and Tim had already recorded with Dylan in Nashville, Kenny when he was 16 years old! Tim was then in Dylan’s band during Bob’s Christian period), pianist/arranger Jack Nitzsche (Phil Spector’s arranger/orchestrator), and steel guitarist Ben Keith.
Leo Kottke  12 String Blues. Oblivion 1969

Have had this for years, bough it cheap used, and now turns out to be somewhat a collectors album and worth many times what I paid. Recorded live at The Scholar Coffeehouse, Minneapolis MN
@big_greg,

I once owned "Who's Next" on Classic Records. Sold it because of mediocre SQ & lots of ticks.

Hope your Who is much better.
@slaw Interesting that you said that as I thought it sounded a little "veiled" at first. My copy was quiet and after the first song or two sounded good. 
@Uberwaltz Have you done any mods to your 401?
Idler, bearing, platter, (power supply)? I know mine is a whole different machine than an original. 
Noromance.
All of the above except a power supply.
Platter is original but with a lot of additional weight judiciously added.
Idler and bearing both upgraded items.
Tonearm was rewired  with cryoed silver wire.
40lb Birch And Curly Maple plinth.
Going to try the Koetsu on it tomorrow as I do think the Scheu is past it’s best.