Whats on your turntable tonight?

For me its the first or very early LP's of:
Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1
Gave the SL 1200 a workout last night...

Deep Purple - In Concert
Faces - A Nod is as Good as a Wink
Fleetwood Mac - S/T
Greg
What do think of the 1200?
Musical or analytical?

American Woman ... The Guess Who.
Yeah @big_greg, you just can't leave us hangin' like that. What cart are you using?
My initial impression of the SL 1200 was that it emphasizes bass, but in a kind of "one-note" way.  Mid-range and highs are good, but not as detailed as they could be.  After listening for a while, expecially with the live Deep Purple album, I grew accustomed to it and it sounded really good.  The cartridge that came with it is a Zu Audio DL-103, which I'm not sure is a good match.  I don't know how many hours are on the cart.  It came with the KAB RCA jack plate.  I'm not sure what else has been done to it.  I'm thinking of adding the KAB fluid damper and possibly replacing the feet.  I ordered another headshell so that I can try some of my other carts on it.  To sum up, it's not as "musical" as the Music Hall MMF-7.1 that it might replace, but with a few tweaks, I can see how it could be a lot of fun to listen to, especially with rock and anything with a lot of bass.  I'm pretty sure I can flip it and get what I paid for it or close if I end up not liking it. 
Fellows...I can't recommend Caroline Spence highly enough. I got in her first lp "Spades & Roses" this week (I recommend you start with this one) and it's fantastic! She is the complete package!
@big_greg,

Yeah, it's probably too soon to make any kind of thoughtful determination. I've read that the Zu version of the Denon is a great one, but as you say, it's used and maybe a mismatch. Keep us posted.
Good summary Greg.

Seduced and Abandoned ... Hue and Cry.

Light and " poppy" but very well produced and super SQ.
While listening to the IA lp, I noticed distortion on the vocals. Did a cart alignment and the distortion is now, gone...poof.........
Link Wray "Live @ The Paradiso" >>>>>>>>>>>>>>One hell of a performance! Talkin' 'bout high energy????
Freddie Hubbard
Revelation: the Impulse Years
a “best of” thats not compromised sonically 
Boston - Don't Look Back

Vocals and the top end were sounding a little flat on the SL 1200.  Played around with VTA (which is super easy on this table!) and things opened up nicely and the bass has more texture and tone.  
Good album! I've had Dreamboat Annie on 8-track for my car in the 70's and the on vinyl for home. I missed it...but Heart played in my city a couple nights ago...Joan Jet opened for them. Bet it was great!

Last night was a little more laid back for me with:
Grover Washington's: Winelight (Nautilus)
Sting: Ten Summoner's Tales
Post removed 
Some really good stuff being played out there today, very nice.

Easy Action ... Alice Cooper.
Uberwaltz,

No, been working to much and not paying attention... Found out literally a half hour before showtime. 😩
I'll be it was great!
Son Volt "Notes of Blue"..... (I think SV is one of my favorite bands)
Got "Union" & "Gob Iron" on order!
Stevie Wonder "Songs in the Key of Life"  OP/Tamala/(Collectors Edition/7"-45rpm/24 page booklet).
Funny story in 1994 we bought a little rambler on a dead end street on old scenic hill in Kent, Washington. Walking down the street one of the first evenings I come to the end of the street and up against a tall wire fence, overgrown field inside and a peekaboo view of a Tudor style manor house and detached carriage house barn. Coming from the carriage house is the plaintive but absolutely shredded wail of the Heart Barracuda riffs... I remarked to my wife, whoever is playing is better than Heart... she said, oh that is Howard Leese, Hearts’ guitar player.... I walked a lot more after that...
Vitamin String Quartet
Perform the Sigur Ros 
found at RSD a few years back
it is great stuff 
 @slaw  digging into Caroline Spence via Tidal and she is certainly a talent. I particularly like  Hotel Amarillo so far....

thanks for the referral...
also The War Department here says no more Vinyl until we get a furniture grade record cabinet, thinking Prathermade from Ohio, but wanted to ask this august body... ???? help a brother out....
@big_Greg. nice score on the table, hard as it might be I would encourage reservation of judgement till you get a familiar cartridge on it....
@slaw adjective used before the noun: impressive, making you feel respect

Oxford
@tomic601 ,

Thanks brother. 
Now, is there a phrase for having learned something that makes one feel stupid????
I hope others received as big a laugh as did I, from the previous posts.
Tangerine  Dream - Ricochet
Gil Scot-Heron -  The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
Patricia Scot - Once Around The Clock

@tomic601

--- https://www.etsy.com/listing/510429715/vinyl-record-storage-barn-wood-with?ref=shop_home_active_45&a...

I can vouch for that. I had him build me a vertical one. If you want vertical ask the guy for pics of that....we sent them in for him.
All the hype around "Abbey Road", has me cleaning my copies.

Capitol (Plum label) 
UK Blue Box lp
MFSL lp
Also on Etsy is Ryan who builds perfect copies of the PerMadsen racks.

I've bought from him so I have knowledge.
I think this is October.....

+1 on Caroline Spence, Son Volt, et. al.

Such a cool story about having Heart’s lead guitarist as a neighbor.

I love my SL 1200 and don’t really accept or agree with the many criticisms of it. I think its solid and sounds better than digital. Right now I’m using a LO MC Hana SL with it on my good records and keep a mounted up Ortofon handy by for when I have to put it in 4 wheel drive. One thing to maybe keep in mind is that to be able to use its most excellent VTA dial you must use either a relatively tall cartridge (normal range) or wind up having to shim a short one (like the Hana). I suppose you could also get a thicker mat to make such an adjustment....). Anyway, some really nice results with Audio Technica carts can be achieved. (I’ll probably go back to an AT next). Much is written about these great machines on here and elsewhere. There is a really helpful guy named John on here that has great well proven ideas. I wont list them since you probably have already seen/known them.  Also i was going to say that that extra bass you’re experiencing might be the 1200 in relationship to your particular phono stage.  I have noticed that phenomenon.   Hope you wind up liking it.