Technics 1200 MK3D

Does anyone know if the Technics 1200 MK3D is any good as being an audiophile grade turntable?  They seem to be a DJ table. What would you pay if you were to buy one?  Someone is selling two with a mixer. could a mixer sound good and hook up to a tube amp?

toddnlg

I would say no to using the MIXER in any respect. Instead plan on getting a phono pre amp to go with the table along with a cartridge something like a Ortofon 2M red would work very well I think it could be a nice vinyl source. Its Not going to be the last word in detail and resolution but it will have a warm lively sound and great speed stability (direct drive tables have the motor connected directly to the spindle). 

I sold the technics 1200 series a while back. Good turntable. It's more of a DJ table then an audiophile one, but it's well built and the tonearm can handle most cartridges. Do not use the mixer. It will not improve the sound at all and most likely make it worse. You don't mention what cartridge it comes with, which will make a big difference in sound and cost. Also you don't mention your speakers/preamp, but I am assuming with a tube amp, you have a decent system. This would be a good table to start with if you are trying to decide to get into, or back into, records. You can check average prices on Audiogon/ebay and other sites, I saw many for sale.. Should be in low-mid hundreds, depending on the cartridge and condition. I would not spend more then that as you can get a better table once you get to the low thousands. Hope this info helps.

It’s an excellent turntable. I have one in my collection. For an alternate choice the Pioneer PLX1000 is an easy recommendation ($700). I have one set up with two cartridges on separate headshells: a Denon 103R and a Grado G1+. Herb Reichert gave it a very favorable review in Stereophile.

I have owned all the Technics over the years, Audiophile table? I am asking as its not what most folks on here would consider audiophile. It’s very good to a certain price point as it maintains speed, better suited for MM or medium compliance MC cartridge and the mixer is not something you would use for everyday LP listening.  I am assuming based off of 2 tables and a mixer the seller was doing some sort of DJing with them.  Depending on price would be a good choice for a daily spinner.  

Good luck on your search

Thank you for the responses.  In my haste to find out if this was a decent deal, I did not mention my real interest in this set. 

Is there a way to connect two turntables to a single phono stage?   And without loosing sound quality?  I am still running my entry level Audio Technique AT-LP120USB and did pick up a Lenco L75; still in stock form. I have a Decware ZP3 phono feeding into an integrated Primaluna Dialogue Premium. My initial interest was if the mixer would do this. Though, did feel it, probably, was not a good idea. Then, secondary if the turntables were worth the upgrade from the 120?  The set is, definitely a dj set, as it all comes in a carrying suitcase and probably has had lots of play. 

The 120 isn’t bad, especially after adding a VM540ML cart to it. So, the upgrade would need to be worth it. I don’t think these would be enough. 

The Lenco is another story. Probably, for another post. I wanted to hear it stock to know it’s sound. But, I am ready to move it to the next phase. Where to go, not sure???  Thinking of going to a MC or MI cart, with a different plinth, tonearm, cart, etc. 

"Is there a way to connect two turntables to a single phono stage? And without loosing sound quality?"

You can try an A/B switch. But I think that will degrade the sound quality!

toddnlg

Is there a way to connect two turntables to a single phono stage?

Sure - there are many phono preamps that offer multiple phono inputs, e.g. ARC. I think that typically they’re intended for use with a two-arm turntable, but there’s no reason you couldn’t use the inputs for two separate turntables.

@cleeds 

+1

Yes, they use a single phono stage and internally switch inputs… example my Audio Research Reference 3.