Streamer and DAC for Mcintosh MC462 and C22

Hi I have been upgrading my system.  

I have an MC462 Amp, C22 Pre and Revel 228BE speakers.

Currently I am running a node 2 into a Berkeley Alpha dac 2 for streaming.

I am going to upgrade these 2 and I am trying to decide what to buy.  

Either a 1 piece combo like a Lumin or a streamer and dac.  

My budget is 10 to 15K.

Some of the Dacs I have been looking at:

Chord TT2 and M scaler
Aqua 
Lumin S1 or X1
Total Dac

Streamers include:

Lumin U1or U1 mini
Moon Mind 2
Auralic G1 or G2
Innuos

I would say I lean more toward analog sound.  I would like something I can listen to without fatigue.

Basically question 1 - 1 box or 2?

And what to buy ?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ag insider logo xs@2xefoo
If your budget is $15k for a Streamer/DAC and you’re asking an “Internet forum” for advice, then you’re set up for some high budget guesswork...;-)

my only contribution to your guessing game is:

1. Lumin U1 mini
2. Chord Hugo TT and M scaler

why...?...analogue sound plus gives you options to swap out dacs if you guess wrong.
From the above choices, I would go with Innuos server and AQUA DAC. One distinct advantage with AQUA is their R2R architecture which is upgradable so your DAC is pretty much future proof.

As far as Innuos goes, I would consider ZENith Mk3 as a starting point and later add their USB reclocker. This combination will get you very close to their Statement server that retails for twice as much.

The sound in my opinion from this DAC / Server combo is very analog like, smooth and detailed.

Both La Scala MKII and ZENith Mk3 fits nicely in your budget with room to grow in near future. By keeping streamer and DAC separate, you retain the maximum flexibility with future upgrades.

I suggest you contact almaaudio for their advise and see if they can arrange a loaner. 
Another option is the dCS Bartok. If you need local storage, you can always run Roon. 
I would also listen to a dCS Bartok. And maybe a Linn Klimax DSM and or an Akurate Exaktbox for reference. 
Thanks for the all the input.  

Some great suggestions.

I will check out the DCS Bartok sounds interesting.

I also like the Aqua/innuos and the Lumin/Chord suggestions.

I was actually looking at the Lumin T2 tonight as well.  Wondering if a $4500 product can get me 90% of the 15K combos.

I have a lot of research to do and will keep you posted,

I have heard the Bartok. Very smooth sound. It is expensive at around $15K, depending on headphone option. There are several options above $20K.
Depends on system matching and your other kit of course.
I just upgraded and am very happy. I went from a base Linn Majik DSM ($3K) to an Akurate system Sub with an eternal Exaktbox with eight Akurate amps and eight Katalyst DACs. The new Linn Katalyst DAC architecture is amazing. The Sub box and Exaktbox box are linked with a data cable(can be 300 feet long). With new custom made Transparent speaker cables(8) the system costs $14K. I run this via M140 speakers and love the sound. A different way of getting there, but highly recommended...
Thanks I have a line on a DCS Bartok at a good price so I may just go for it.  The one box will work well with my current rack.  Going to try it with and without the C22.  I can always use the C22 in another system if I don't end up needing it with the Bartok.
I don’t use the Bartok as a preamp, but I do think it sounds great and the networking works really well. It’s an excellent DAC. 
I ordered the Bartok yesterday... will try it with the C22 and without.

The combination of 1 box plus long product life cycle made it a worthwhile investment.

Plus I got a great price on one that was in stock so I should have it this week.

I will report back when I have had a chance to break it in.
Please do post your impressions and congrats, I certainly hold DCS in high esteem
enjoy the music!!!!
Th Bartok arrived and sounds wonderful.  I am very happy with the purchase now I have to figure out if I need the C22 in the chain or just use the Bartok as the pre.  

I would look at:

Chord Dave
MScaler
Lumin U1 or U1 Mini

Good luck in your choices...
Long term report Bartok sounds fantastic.  Have been running it with the C22 in the chain into the MC462.

Will try it without the C22 right into the amp at some point.

Great for tidal and my wife loves the ease of spotify.