Oppo Blu-Ray Players in 2023

Hello. I am new here and looking for some advice. I would like to start listening to CDs again and I am curious if the Oppo BDP-83 and BDP-93 are still decent as players and/or transports in 2023. I have seen lots of information from buy a $10 dvd player, get a PlayStation 1, or invest in transport only device. I have both those Oppo players sitting on a shelf since my movie collection moved to 4k over the years. It would be great to reuse some old gear if it still can provide quality music. These are not the SE versions and are bog standard launch models. 

Apologies in advance if I am a bit stupid. I sold off all my CD's over a decade ago and so getting back into this has been eye opening. I am doing my best. Thank you and take care. 

hong_kong_phooey

I would like to start listening to CDs again

Why???  Especially since you said you’ve already sold off all your CDs?  Just stream through Qobuz and be happy.  What am I missing here?

My Oppo 103 and 105 play CD very well and stream Tidal also...lots of super cheap CD’s available these days...just try it since you already have them !!! Some prefer CD.  and sometimes it's just easier to put in a CD rather than stream a single CD

Hi, @soix. Just for fun. CDs are cheap and plentiful. I enjoy collecting movies and I like scanning the shelf for something to watch. I think it would be fun to do again for CD's. I have Amazon HD and Tidal and they are great and super convent, but there is something in owning a physical thing, at least for me. And with Sony yanking movies from PS5 owners I always worry about losing access to digital media.

CDs can be bought for pennies on the dollar these days, so I can see the appeal. Given that you already "have both those Oppo players sitting on a shelf," I'd give one of 'em a whirl and see how it sounds. You can also try using its digital out to your DAC, if you're using one.

Why does every state-of-the-art, perfect sound forever thing I buy suddenly become "cheap and plentiful"?

@dweller The march of time takes no prisoners and cares nothing for our feelings. Unfortunately. 

hong_kong_phooey

Both Oppo players are still relevant in 2023 moving forward. Oppo continues to provide repair and service as well. Go For It! There has never been a better time to enjoy spinning discs. Servers and streamers will not last.

Happy Listening!

I prefer my CDs to the same disc being streamed through a service.  The two Oppo players that the OP mentioned were later bested by the 103/105, and then the 203/205, but that doesn’t mean that they still won’t provide pleasure.  The OP doesn’t mention what his DAC is, so he should experiment with the internal DACs vs using the Oppos as a transport.

I still use an OPPO 103d to spin discs.    It's been a great machine , too bad OPPO got out of the game.  

soix

7,847 posts

I would like to start listening to CDs again

Why??? Especially since you said you’ve already sold off all your CDs? Just stream through Qobuz and be happy. What am I missing here?

Maybe he’s concerned that you streamers screw us musicians. Probably not...but maybe.

@mahler123 I just have an smsl su-1 I use on my desk as my only stand alone dac. I am looking forward to seeing how it does vs the internal dacs and if maybe I want to get something more substantial for this use case. Thanks!