NAD 3030 experience

has anyone owned this or still uses it today? Any opinions to share?

On that note, anyone excited about the brand new NAD 3050? (still no real reviews anywhere)

My 2 cents: the 3050 design is absolutely botched. It looks like a Christmas tree (in April) compared to the flawlessly pleasing looking 3030. Why change it if it worked!?

grislybutter

I think the new 3050 looks awesome.  I wish I actually had a need for it. Love the looks. 

OP:  Are you just unhappy with the number of LED's and the colors?

Personally I'm genuinely excited to see how the hybrid class-D amplification continues to work and evolve.  It's a rather unique, almost Class H.  Very cool stuff in terms of actually technically distinguished consumer tech

@erik_squires 

I was first super impressed. I am total sucker for the vintage look. But then I compared it with the 3030. Much cleaner look. And the led is just awful. that's so 80s. The designer should be arraigned!

The reason I asked this in this post is that I bid on a 3030 on ebay and besides the looks I hope it sounds good too.

I worked at a store that dealt in NAD in the mid 70s when Peter Treibman, formerly with Advent, became the US importer.  The 3030 was the base integrated amp and we liked it…but the failure rate was such that instead of New Acoustic Dimensions we began calling it Not Always Defective!  As I recall it was usually the round push buttons that got stuck and caused a channel to drop.  This sort of thing was not rare back then. H-K receivers were flaky too.  Pioneer, Sansui, Yamaha…much better QC.

@crustycoot 

Good to know! I will probably pass on it then

I heard in the darko interview that NAD sold millions of 3020s. And I owned Marantz amps from the same time period, that all worked amazingly well.

I don't think the design has ever been as stunning as in the 70s. Probably the golden age of industrial design in general.

I had two NAD 3020's back in '78-81. $199 each! Used as single-channel amps for the midrange and treble of an active crossover bi-amp speaker system. The bass was handled by two Audionics CC2 amps, one per channel. Never had any trouble with the two 3020's.

It's interesting to read comments on NAD product from 40 years ago- and people applying their experience from a lifetime ago with a $200 amp at the time to what a new NAD amp may or may not be...

I recently had my 3020 serviced in St. Louis.  It needed a new power switch.  Purchased it in 87 right before undergrad ... still looks and sounds good.  

The latest podcast from John Darko/Darko Audio has an interview with the product manager for the 3050. All the questions and issues you have are covered in that.

@rumblestrip 

that's what made me write the post (and I referenced it above). They didn't talk about the 3030 much for today's usability, which is what I was curious about. The bid has since doubled on ebay so I will likely lose out on it.

FWIW, my system employs the NAD 7600 Monitor Series Power Envelope RECEIVER (which combines the 2600 power amplifier and the 1300 preamplifier with the 4300 tuner—all flagship components for NAD at the time, which was the late 1980s). I have never looked back. The unit I had as an original owner finally began to fail in various ways after 30+ years of daily use (and transportation to various dwellings in various states). Because it was hard to find a replacement by then, I auditioned various integrated amps, including several that are very well regarded; I've got audiophile friends, one of whom owns the best shop in the county, so I had lots of sweet options to choose from. None sounded as good! Finally, eBay came through, and once again, the NAD 7600 powers my system. Nothing else, in my experience, was as transparent, with natural timbre of instruments, vivid soundstage, and tremendous power.

Just sayin'.... 

@sniff cool story! I felt the same way about my Marantz 2252B but it needed maintenance - and there was no one I would trust with in my city.

@grislybutter, those are called overviews rather than reviews. When a new model comes out for any product, and reviewers/journalists/influencers talk about it before they have had a chance to put hands on it, it's an overview. 

I say this as someone who has reviewed cars, motorcycles, and some tech for over 20 years.

@rumblestrip 

Understood. I guess we can also call it "hype". 

Since he said many times that he will receive the 3030 and the 3050, two previews seem a bit excessive?