My Long List of Amplifiers and My Personal Review of Each!

So I have been in a long journey looking to find the best amplifiers for my martin logan montis. As you know, the match between an amplifier and speakers has to be a good "marriage" and needs to be blend exquisitely. Right now, I think I might have found the best sounding amplifier for martin logan. I have gone through approximately 34-36 amplifiers in the past 12 months. Some of these are:

Bryston ST, SST, SST2 series
NAD M25
PARASOUND HALO
PARASOUND CLASSIC
KRELL TAS
KRELL KAV 500
KRELL CHORUS
ROTEL RMB 1095
CLASSE CT 5300
CLASSE CA 2200
CLASSE CA 5200
MCINTOSH MC 205
CARY AUDIO CINEMA 7
OUTLAW AUDIO 755
LEXICON RX7
PASS LABS XA 30.8
BUTLER AUDIO 5150
ATI SIGNATURE SERIES 6005

With all that said, the amplifiers I mentioned above are the ones that in my opinion are worth mentioning. To make a long story short, there is NO 5 CHANNEL POWER AMP that sounds as good as a 3ch and 2ch amplifier combination. i have done both experiments and the truth is that YOU DO lose details and more channel separation,etc when you select a 5 channel power amplifier of any manufacturer.
My recollection of what each amp sounded like is as follows:

ATI SIGNATURE SERIES 6005 (great power and amazing soundstage. Very low noise floor, BUT this amplifiers NEEDS TO BE cranked up in order to fully enjoy it. If you like listening at low volume levels or somewhat moderate, you are wasting your time here. This amp won’t sound any different than many other brands out there at this volume. The bass is great, good highs although they are a bit bright for my taste)

NAD M25 (very smooth, powerful, but somewhat thin sounding as far as bass goes)
Bryston sst2(detailed, good soundstage, good power, but can be a little forward with certain speakers which could make them ear fatiguing at loud volumes)

Krell (fast sounding, nice bass attack, nice highs, but some detail does get lost with certain speakers)

rotel (good amp for the money, but too bright in my opinion)

cary audio (good sound overall, very musical, but it didn’t have enough oomph)

parasound halo (good detail, great bass, but it still holds back some background detail that i can hear in others)

lexicon (very laid back and smooth. huge power, but if you like more detail or crisper highs, this amp will disappoint you)

McIntosh mc205 (probably the worst multichannel amp given its price point. it was too thin sounding, had detail but lacked bass.

butler audio (good amplifier. very warm and smooth sweet sounding. i think for the money, this is a better amp than the parasound a51)

pass labs (very VERY musical with excellent bass control. You can listen to this for hours and hours without getting ear fatigue. however, it DOES NOT do well in home theater applications if all you have is a 2 channel set up for movies. The midrange gets somewhat "muddy" or very weak sounding that you find yourself trying to turn it up.

classe audio (best amplifier for multi channel applications. i simply COULDNT FIND a better multi channel amplifier PERIOD. IT has amazing smoothness, amazing power and good bass control although i would say krell has much better bass control)

Update: The reviews above were done in January 2015. Below is my newest update as of October 2016:

PS AUDIO BHK 300 MONOBLOCKS: Amazing amps. Tons of detail and really amazing midrange. the bass is amazing too, but the one thing i will say is that those of you with speakers efficiency of 87db and below you will not have all the "loudness" that you may want from time to time. These amps go into protection mode when using a speaker such as the Salon, but only at very loud levels. Maybe 97db and above. If you don’t listen to extreme crazy levels, these amps will please you in every way.

Plinius Odeon 7 channel amp: This is THE BEST multichannel amp i have ever owned. Far , but FAR SUPERIOR to any other multichannel amp i have owned. In my opinion it destroyed all of the multichannel amps i mentioned above and below. The Odeon is an amp that is in a different tier group and it is in a league of its own. Amazing bass, treble and it made my center channel sound more articulate than ever before. The voices where never scrambled with the action scenes. It just separated everything very nicely.

Theta Dreadnaught D: Good detailed amp. Looks very elegant, has a pleasant sound, but i found it a tad too bright for my taste. I thought it was also somewhat "thin" sounding lacking body to the music. could be that it is because it is class d?

Krell Duo 300: Good amp. Nice and detailed with enough power to handle most speakers out there. I found that it does have a very nice "3d" sound through my electrostatics. Nothing to fault here on this amp.
Mark Levinson 532H: Great 2 channel amp. Lots of detail, amazing midrange which is what Mark Levinson is known for. It sounds very holographic and will please those of you looking for more detail and a better midrange. As far as bass, it is there, but it is not going to give you the slam of a pass labs 350.5 or JC1s for example. It is great for those that appreciate classical music, instrumental, etc, but not those of you who love tons of deep bass.

It is articulate sounding too
Krell 7200: Plenty of detail and enough power for most people. i found that my rear speakers contained more information after installed this amp. One thing that i hated is that you must use xlr cables with this amp or else you lose most of its sound performance when using RCA’s.

Krell 402e: Great amp. Very powerful and will handle any speaker you wish. Power is incredible and with great detail. That said, i didn’t get all the bass that most reviewers mentioned. I thought it was "ok" in regards to bass. It was there, but it didn’t slam me to my listening chair.

Bryston 4B3: Good amp with a complete sound. I think this amp is more laid back than the SST2 version. I think those of you who found the SST2 version of this amp a little too forward with your speakers will definitely benefit from this amp’s warmth. Bryston has gone towards the "warm" side in my opinion with their new SST3 series. As always, they are built like tanks. I wouldn’t call this amp tube-like, but rather closer to what the classe audio delta 2 series sound like which is on the warm side of things.

Parasound JC1s: Good powerful amps. Amazing low end punch (far superior bass than the 402e). This amp is the amp that i consider complete from top to bottom in regards to sound. Nothing is lacking other than perhaps a nicer chassis. Parasound needs to rework their external appearance when they introduce new amps. This amp would sell much more if it had a revised external appearance because the sound is a great bang for the money. It made my 800 Nautilus scream and slam. Again, amazing low end punch.

Simaudio W7: Good detailed amp. This amp reminds me a lot of the Mark Levinson 532h. Great detail and very articulate. I think this amp will go well with bookshelves that are ported in order to compensate for what it lacks when it comes to the bass. That doesn’t mean it has no bass, but when it is no Parasound JC1 either.
Pass labs 350.5: Wow, where do i begin? maybe my first time around with the xa30.8 wasn’t as special as it was with this monster 350.5. It is just SPECTACULAR sounding with my electrostatics. The bass was THE BEST BASS i have ever heard from ANY amp period. The only amp that comes close would be the jC1s. It made me check my settings to make sure the bass was not boosted and kept making my jaw drop each time i heard it. It totally destroyed the krell 402e in every regard. The krell sounded too "flat" when compared to this amp. This amp had amazing mirange with great detail up top. In my opinion, this amp is the best bang for the money. i loved this amp so much that i ended up buying the amp that follows below.

Pass labs 250.8: What can i say here. This is THE BEST STEREO AMP i have ever heard. This amp destroys all the amps i have listed above today to include the pass labs 350.5. It is a refined 350.5 amp. It has more 3d sound which is something the 350.5 lacked. It has a level of detail that i really have never experienced before and the bass was amazing as well. I really thought it was the most complete power amplifier i have ever heard HANDS DOWN. To me, this is a benchmark of an amplifier. This is the amp that others should be judged by. NOTHING is lacking and right now it is the #1 amplifier that i have ever owned.

My current amps are Mcintosh MC601s: i decided to give these 601s a try and they don’t disappoint. They have great detail, HUGE soundstage, MASSIVE power and great midrange/highs. The bass is great, but it is no pass labs 250.8 or 350.5. As far as looks, these are the best looking amps i have ever owned. No contest there. i gotta be honest with you all, i never bought mcintosh monos before because i wasn’t really "wowed" by the mc452, but it could have been also because at that time i was using a processor as a preamp which i no longer do. Today, i own the Mcintosh C1100 2 chassis tube preamp which sounds unbelievable. All the amps i just described above have been amps that i auditioned with the C1100 as a preamp. The MC601s sound great without a doubt, but i will say that if you are looking for THE BEST sound for the money, these would not be it. However, Mcintosh remains UNMATCHED when it comes to looks and also resale value. Every other amp above depreciates much faster than Mcintosh.

That said, my future purchase (when i can find a steal of a deal) will be the Pass labs 350.8. I am tempted to make a preliminary statement which is that i feel this amp could be THE BEST stereo amp under 30k dollars. Again, i will be able to say more and confirm once i own it. I hope this update can help you all in your buying decisions!

128x128jays_audio_lab
Post removed 
Post removed 
We need some explaining, as to why WC kept hidden a MAJOR flaw of the Neoliths ( rolled off highs). How can we trust any speaker review on this thread , if major flaws like this example are plainly omitted...
To all the Audiophiles on this Thread, Do Not Comment, Respond, Adress, "Trolls" by Name as they thrive/live for attention. The best remedy for these needy personalities is to simply dismiss and totally ignore them!

Very Sad!
@whitecamaross 

Thanks for your personal review of the DAG vs. XS 300; nice step-up in video production as well. I was wondering if the DAG could compete with a two-box mono that weighs over 300 lbs per side. That the DAG is fairly close in some regards and perhaps a bit better in others is pretty good for a 95-lbs-a-side single-box mono. 
@pokey77
i agree with your statement above. The Dag is indeed a special amplifier that 99% of you would be blown away by. It is soooo romantic and smooth while remaining detailed.
I had an interesting discussion last night with someone who made the same point about my comparison which involved 2 separate approaches to amplification.
That said, let’s not forget that even the $250k relentless mono blocks are single chassis so Dan D Agostino must not feel the need to do any external power supplies as what he did back in his days with Krell.

Nelson Pass’ approach is totally different with his XS monos. There are over 100 output devices per side, huge transformers, monstrous capacitors, carbon fiber binding posts, etc, etc. He pretty much just went all out and dropped the entire world inside these amps. Also, most of you might not know this, but there was roughly one million dollars spent just in research and development on the xs amplifiers alone. Word on the street is that the .8 series is nearing the end of its life cycle and will go bye bye very soon. Once that is replaced with something else, then the xs amps will probably go bye bye, but keep in mind they were released in 2013 so i am calculating that the xs amps will remain current until about 2022-2023 which would mark a decade since their release.
They are having difficulties revamping what took a million dollars to research and build. It is no easy task by any means, but as we all know all good things come to an end.

On a separate note guys, i know i had mentioned that i was going to bring another power amplifier to battle here, but to be honest i have decided to not chase this amp which was the Boulder 2060. I want to focus on amps that make more sense and so far here is what i am thinking:

-Pass Labs xa200.8 (how close are they to the xs300s?)
-Gryphon Mephisto (would this have the muscularity of the xs300?)
-Boulder 2160 (how is their new house sound with these new amps?)
-Gryphon Antileon Evo (this is supposed to best the mephisto?)
-Luxman Reference Monos (to be released to the press in December)

That is pretty much the list that i have in my head when it comes to amplifiers that i feel could push the XS300s. Of course, there are other amplifiers that i could have interest in, but not to compete and just rather pick them apart when it comes to their sound. I could use more affordable amps to simply gauge how good they are by comparing to my xs300s.  

Regarding the Dags. 
In my listening time with them (driving Alexandrias) I find them to be extremely well balanced from top to bottom. In this regard no range in particular stands out. The ease at which they reproduce music feels effortless. 
The Pass XS300s are what I call an audio abomination. I have used this name in the past when qualifying the Neoliths. This is how things ends up when makers get into a trip of... bigger, larger, heavier, let’s just put more...

It’s absolutely not inovative technology. 

WC,
"oh that is a great price, let me ask the wife" 
I agree with everything else you mentioned in that post, but for me, when it comes to big monetary decisions, my wife and I always decide on that together.  I guess you would label that as stupidity, but it's standard procedure at my home.
Dave
@thezaks.
I totally get what you are saying. My issue is when buyers use the wife excuse instead of telling you they aren’t going to buy something...
There are a lot of grown men using the wife card to bail on a purchase they already agreed on. I had a guy who came to my home to listen to my c4s and spent like an hour listening and then he said he was going to talk to the wife. Do you think I heard back from him ? Lol. Instead of just saying he didn't like them or they weren't his cup of tea ...
To me that’s pathetic, but hey I guess that’s life.
Yeah that’s life. And to be fair for most purchases at this level are a bigger deal and expected greater commitment than for you where you know one way or the other in a month or few you won’t have the piece any longer. 
People put more thought into who they’ll move in with than who they’ll meet for coffee 
The X300s are not state of the art in execution. He uses Panasonic metal oxide power resistors, Dale or similar smaller resistors, uses no bypass caps on the power supply, the internal wire is probably ordinary, the heatsinks on the front end circuit are not damped, the power cord between the main chassis and power supply chassis is not state of the art, the large heatsinks are not damped, the big power supply caps are ? brand, the power transformer is probably mounted with steel hardware and set directly on the chassis, etc. etc.

If you were to put better resistors in it, better caps with serious bypass caps, damp all the heatsinks, float the power transformer off the chassis and use no metal around it, make a better power supply cable, better internal wires, etc. you would have a way more transparent amp.. I know all this from 40 years of tweaking, manufacturing and listening tests. Does this mean I can make a better amp? Who cares. What I am saying is that I could make this amp way better.......so could scores of other people. There is no perfect amp. Every manufacturer has his mental limitations that he has imposed on himself. There is no Indy 500 for audio. The fastest amp does not get the pole position. It is all subjective.

I am sure the X300s are really great amps....but they could be way greater amps if tweaked to the max by any number of people (not that anyone would ever tweak such a thing). We don’t want to lose resale value now. Car hot rodders will spend thousands of dollars on mods to get a half a second quicker ET. Audio lovers are very conservative.....they use their equipment stock and a lot don’t even have good footers/racks or tweak their gear using PPT and other cool things. There is so much more than "stock".

I sent an email to Nelson Pass a few years ago about me modding his products and seeing if he would want my help in tweaking his products......his reply was basically "I am sure what you do works, but I have no interest in it. I don’t care if you mod my amps. Have fun".

We all have our limitations. This is why audio will never be perfect and a lot of manufacturers claim their product is the best....well, until they come out with a new version...he he. What we have is amp of the minute....until the next moment we find a better one. It is a game. Enjoy the game......but if you think your amp is "perfect" (whatever the heck that means) then you are fooling yourself. Enjoy the ride. I wish you ever expanding joy and love.
WC,
Understood  - that's a good clarification.  I can definitely understand your position there.  Sometimes there's a genuine intent to buy something, but it doesn't work out. However, when someone uses that as an excuse to bail on a purchase - especially if it was already agreed on - it is pathetic.
Dave
ricevs, I completely agree. Pass amplifiers are all the same. Even as you go up the line, it’s the same parts, only more of them... more transistors, more caps, more chassis. Make it bigger, larger, and call it better... That is why I have much more respect for designers like Ayre audio, Luxman, Accuphase, DAG, Gryphon, Benchmark, etc.
I have immense respect for Nelson’s designs...they are simple and elegant....very pure. However, he is not a tweaker. All those other amps you mentioned are at least as compromised....just in different ways. DAG uses huge hunks of brass as their binding posts on their quarter of a million dollar amps. The Furutech ones on the X300s are way better. I modded an Ayre integrated a few years ago.....a few simple mods ($200 mod) made is noticeably better. BTW. I don't do one off mods.. 

Everything in time and space is compromised. Only pure love is infinitely beautiful and eternal. This is who we are.
Luxman and Accuphase usually don’t skimp on anything.
They are the Rolex of audio imho.

Pass... a boosted Casio ?
Luxman and Accuphase usually don’t skimp on anything.

I love my Luxman, but it is not faultless, cost is no object. The headphone feature for instance, kind of a joke.

Pass... a boosted Casio ? 

I wouldn't call Pass worthless, but I've never ever head the synergy their fans have.
Pass build quality is indeed one of the best. However , I've been very candid about how I feel about their other models namely 350.8, 250.8, etc etc. 
 The xs300 and xs150 are on another level. 
techno__dude
Have you heard the xs300’s vs. the amps that you mentioned? Or, are you just speculating on the build quality?
At the end of the day, at least for me, it’s how the end product performs - especially compared to other brands likes the ones you mentioned, and also compared to other models like the ones WC mentioned.

That’s why I’m here - to enjoy hearing WC’s take on this equipment via his experiences, especially the comparisons.

Why are you here?
Dave
There are numerous internal pictures of Pass amps online. It’s the same parts used through the whole line, only more transistors, bigger capacitors, more chassis, bigger toroid transformers, etc.

Luxman and Accuphase...the circuit board quality is on another level. Everything is in another class. Transformers, capacitors, circuit plating. Just looking at the M900u chassis, solid aluminium without a screw showing... 

Anybody can see that with a simple google image search.
@thezaks
We here on this thread have decided to isolate "TROLLS" and not respond so that there only audience is the mirror.
WC I have not heard that song before and as everyone has said using this medium as a communicator is not ideal. Having said that I would say that each presents different perspectives - XS300 sounded thicker in lower mids and seemed to have less attack and pace, however, it drew me into the performance with ease. The Dag seemed to have better attack, a slightly faster pace and lower mids were portrayed with more apparent detail.  The Dag did not draw me into the performance as easily. So at this level it's more about the synergy that each has with the cast of components and cables. 

So here is an interesting question - if one were starting out to build a system from scratch which amp would you start with? 

For me it would not be the XS300 as mixing and matching components and cables to get to where I would want to go would simply be more work. 

Would never use a Concert recording to do a A vs B comparison. Details are much more transparent with a studio recording and without the background noise. Your from Florida...Play some "Green Grass and High Tides Forever" by the Outlaws for Gods Sake!! Do I have to teach you everything??
That concert recording is far better, and has more detail, and depth to it, that any version of "Green Grass and High Tides Forever", that I have heard, and I love the Outlaws!
Yea Um...I was just busting his chops. Wasnt comparing sound quality of whatever that was vs anything else.
WC,
Thanks for the audio comparison video. So happy that you are enjoying the sonics from these two awesome sounding amplifiers.
I’ve found that I’m not a fan of the Nordost sonic signature, because I don’t like a drier sound - especially in the mids and highs. Basically it seems to clamp down a bit too much in those areas, and I prefer a little more liquidity.   However,  I do realize that Nordost cabling can make things sound clearer and faster, which might be more desirable.

I seem to hear that Nordost is in the chain in the video (I have no doubt that the sound overall is much better in person), which does affect the sound from the amps. My guess is that the Xs amps are a little bit tighter sounding overall than the Dags, so the Nordost effect is more pronounced with those amps. To me, the Xs amps sound like they would probably be my choice - they sound like they do some things better - however, I would probably use different cabling - just my taste.
Excited to continue this journey with you.
Dave

@thezaks (Dave) agree with you although to be honest it was difficult to hear differences in the video of the 2 amps but have heard Nordost cables in other systems and at dealers and always left me underwhelmed. It was fast and clean but not so musical if that makes sense. Just my view.
WC I am enjoying your journey keep on rolling.
rsf507,
I agree  - for me it's not as musical, but I understand that for others, musical is exactly what the Nordost does for them.  In previous listening with Nordost, the tighter sound seems to benefit and bring out drums.  Again, just me.  Back to the journey  :-)
Dave
Maybe I should do the nordost Odin 1 xlr vs cardas clear beyond xlr comparison? 
Let me know your thoughts. 
Magicos were here for only 2 days. One of my followers was kind enough to let me play with them so I can give him my honest feedback before they got shipped across the country. I recorded one sound clip which I might be able to post a little later. 
They were some spectacular speakers... They are almost like having a measuring device when it comes to their accuracy and clarity. I'll never forget the impression they left on me. Maybe one day ill be able to get them for me .
Always fun to do an XLR comparison and would make another great video.   If you have Odin PC's and SC's in the chain, then there might be some synergy with the Odin 1 XLR.
Dave
I'm going to try to shoot a video of the xlr. 
I have my personal opinion on both cable companies. I also can totally understand why some of you feel the way you feel about nordost Odin. However, let me say that today I finally swapped PCs on the xs300s and replaced them with Odin 1 and the sound got DRASTICALLY BETTER. It was beyond belief the improvement across the board. 
Cardas is more relaxed and is quite musical but In my opinion their PCs are not at the level of the Odin 1. As far as xlr, we will find out soon enough :)
@whitecamaross 

OK, so how about switching the Odin 1 to the Momentums and see if they can better compete? I've no dog in this fight, but curious if a better PC will allow them to compete closer with the XS.

I do think the XS has an unfair advantage with more power supplies, etc. It makes sense to me on that basis. As for me, I'd keep the amps that win the sound contest. Either the Momentums or the XS can drive just about any speaker very well, but the XS appear to have the advantage based on your comments. I'd like to hear them, but have only heard stuff at the 160.8 level or lower. And the 160.8 do not sound like the Momentums at all to me.
@pokey77
Makes sense to me. However, I shut the amps off last night after 5 days of being on (can’t wait for the light bill lol )
It will take another 2 days of playtime.before I can assess things.
I didn't want to be biased by reading other people's impressions, so I listened first to the Dag/Pass A/B a few times on my lousy iMac computer with its stock speakers.  Then I read gtaphile's observations, and I totally agree with him on the differences in sound.  The Pass has a more spacious bloom, glow and rounded quality.  The Dag has a more specific, clear, upfront presentation.  I look forward to this comparison when you hook up the Nordost XLR.  With the Nordost's general character of clarity, I expect the differences to be more apparent, but the overall character of each to remain the same, so if you prefer the Pass with the Cardas interconnect, you probably will not change your mind with the Nordost.

The sound quality has a nice stereo effect, but since I needed to listen several times to judge the differences, I would say at present the resolution of your setup is not sufficient to demonstrate more subtle A/B differences with cables, various digital filters, etc.  For that, getting the best condenser mikes would be needed.  The mikes are as critical as the speakers, because both are transducers.  The sensitive mike diaphragm converts air vibrations (sound) into electrical current, and the speaker diaphragm converts electrical current into air vibrations.

I like what you are doing, so this is a great opportunity to archive important differences with a particular setup.  You could sell your archives to dealers and their customers, to save many hours and trouble of doing A/B's.  Then the dealer wouldn't be as pissed off if the customer wastes their time with A/B's and doesn't buy.  If you get better mikes, this will have more value.  Dealers could commission you to do excellent A/B demos of any combo of equipment they want.  Even right now, your video is sufficient to demonstrate to a customer who values clarity first, that the Dag would be preferable.  

I would also look for music that has more percussion and HF content.  It is often easier to tell differences in clarity with this.
@gtaphile. 

Answer to your question:
Which amp would I start with if I were building a system ? 
Hmm. That depends on many variables:
Speakers used 
Sources 
Music preference
Cabling 

The momentum will be amazing for just about anyone. The pass labs will be amazing as well but it requires a special kind of audiophile; someone who doesn't care about the size and heat. A person that loves class A and who understands patience is a virtue with class A. 
Both amps are capable of driving anything. 
Sounds to me like the XS300 is a touch more real or live sounding. The M400s sound a little more refined and maybe have a little less bass weight .The M400 seems to accentuate the Upper Mids more .. Maybe ? It is kind of what I am hearing .The XS300 are like a Dodge Viper and the momentum 400s are more like  a Ferrari .
I also wrote this before hearing anyone else’s opinion
WC, thank you for taking the time to put that video/review together. I can't say for certain, but I don't think anything like this has been done before, at least not at this level. I'm not sure there are any dealers that sell both Pass Labs, and D'agostinos. If there is, I doubt any of them would post on the internet that they preferred one over the other. I think you really put yourself out there picking a preference, and I only hope anyone watching that video will take it for what it is - your preference, and not one necessarily that much better than the other (xs300 cost 20k more).

I think if I heard both in the same room, same speakers I would probably enjoy the xs300 an ounce more for the same reasons you mentioned in the video. However, if I had opportunity to buy either one, I'd probably go with the m400 based on form factor, price/performance ratio, and looks (as well as heat issues?).

Please keep doing what your doing. It seems you're getting progressively better with each video, so I can see things evolving as you become more comfortable making these videos. And please, continue to play music!