Musetec (LKS) MH-DA005 DAC

Some history: I was the OP on a four year old thread about the Chinese LKS MH-DA004 DAC. It achieved an underground buzz. The open architecture of its predecessor MH-DA003 made it the object of a lot of user mods, usually to its analog section, rolling op amps or replacing with discrete. The MH-DA004 with its new ESS chips and JFET analog section was called better then the modified older units. It has two ES9038pro DAC chips deliberately run warm, massive power supply, powered Amanero USB board, JFET section, 3 Crystek femtosecond clocks, Mundorf caps, Cardas connectors, etc., for about $1500. For this vinyl guy any reservation about ESS chips was resolved by the LKS implimentaion, but their revelation of detail was preserved, something that a listener to classic music especially appreciated. I made a list of DACs (many far more expensive) it was compared favorably to in forums. Modifications continued, now to clocks and caps. Components built to a price can be improved by costlier parts and the modifiers wrote glowingly of the SQ they achieved.

Meanwhile, during the 4 years after release of the MH-DA004, LKS (now Musetec) worked on the new MH-DA005 design, also with a pair of ES9038pro chips. This time he used more of the best components available. One torroidal transformer has silver plated copper. Also banks of super capacitors that act like batteries, solid silver hookup wire, 4 femtoclocks each costing multiples of the Crysteks, a revised Amanero board, more of the best European caps and a new partitioned case. I can't say cost NO object, but costs well beyond. A higher price, of course. Details at http://www.mu-sound.com/DA005-detail.html

The question, surely, is: How does it sound? I'm only going to answer indirectly for the moment. I thought that the MH-DA004 was to be my last DAC, or at least for a very long time. I was persuaded to part with my $$ by research, and by satisfaction with the MH-DA004. Frankly, I have been overwhelmed by the improvement; just didn't think it was possible. Fluidity, clarity, bass extension. A post to another board summed it up better than I can after listening to piano trios: "I have probably attended hundreds of classical concerts (both orchestral and chamber) in my life. I know what live sounds like in a good and bad seat and in a good and mediocre hall. All I can say is HOLY CRAP, this sounds like the real thing from a good seat in a good hall. Not an approximation of reality, but reality."

melm

@debjit_g 
I've been happy using Viborg VP1606 power cable first recommended by a cable guru on another site.  My first was long and I had to terminate it, not so easily done as it's a big cable.  Since then I see that they are available terminated, and at Amazon.  The only negative is that they are quite stiff.  Since as Musetec folks we like to look inside, here's what's inside the Viborg.  Scroll down.

@klh007 I do like VAC, one of their amps was on short list of possible purchases some years ago, I expect  that would be nice combo with 005.

@debjit_g I've only used diy power cables based on  recipes @willywonka  has developed over the past few years. They're called Helix Image, the particular recipes I've been using are the best power cables I've either auditioned or owned. I'd like to think I'm fairly experienced with pc as I auditioned many over the years through lending library at Cable Company.

My Helix provide unsurpassed transparency, resolution and dynamics very nice. My favorite recipe is built with VH Audio Airlock wire, number of runs depends on component its powering. The only other high end pc I have at present is VH Audio Airsine, also very nice, went with them at end of auditioning process. Other pc's I recall having good results with were Shunyata Anaconda, Purist Audio Design Dominus, top of line Synergistic, I'm sure there were others, can't bring them to mind at the moment.

As for connectors I like the better Furutechs, also Connex brand from Partsconnexion, I get these exact connectors cryo version from Chinese seller, really quite nice at much more affordable price.

@lordmelton - No problem at all. It has been a fun experiment. As stated before, I liked the sound of my system better with the Flux 50 going to the power amp than going into the 005... But also liked the improvement it made to the DAC (lower noise floor) when placed there. That has prompted me to add a passive ground filter to the outlet powering the amp while leaving the Flux 50 running directly into the 005 DAC. This has produced a nice sonic improvement that I will leave as is for further evaluation.     

Any of the owners experimented with power cords with the 005 ? I have couple in my arsenal that I wanted to try but thought of asking if you have a preference ?

Btw, at one time I owned 3 Furutech Flux 50 NCF version but I didn't keep any of them.

@klh007

As with sns , I also own the Coincident Statement Line stage which is a brilliant combination of very high resolution and utter naturalness. A friend of mine owned the VAC Signature IIa for about 5 or 6 years. I’ve heard it during multiple and long listening sessions over those years. I think that you’ll be just fine.

Charles

@klh007 Looks pretty interesting. Based on my experience 005 best with active linestage, in my case tubes. My take is 005 likes what tubes add, don't believe I'd like any passive or ss pre with 005, as usual your system and tastes may differ from mine  Only passive I've used is Schitt Saga+.

Sure analog output stage has enough voltage to run passive, also provides a very nice flavor to delta sigma chips, which are generally thought of being rather analytical, sterile. It wasn't the flavor of Saga wasn't my cup of tea, rather mostly lacking in resolving/transparency area, had nice enough drive, just not up to my Coincident Statement pre, which has massive power supply for a pre. 005 deserves best pre one can afford, potential of this dac extremely high.

@sns & @lordmelton, If the 005's analog output stage is the real deal and has enough output voltage, would a viable value solution be the new Lumin U2 Mini utilizing its Leedh lossless volume control the reviewers rave about?

Forgot, in line chassis fuse holder within 005 could also work, and likely be more transparent vs the IEC or screw in type holder.

@lordmelton Yeah, I do recall the Furutech  IEC I used with prior amp didn't have built in fuse holder. One could always add one of those separate screw in type fuse holder, but would require drilling hole in 005, junctioning wires off IEC to fuse holder, sort of big hassle.

You know it has been sort of difficult getting my head wrapped around a $3k dac being this good in an objective sense, Certainly its always been extremely good in a subjective sense, but vast majority of us buy into notion price has direct correlation to sound quality, and the vast majority of time, it does have that correlation. I'm sure we've all observed some proponents of some relatively low priced component that supposed to be giant killer, mostly turns out to be delusion. This leaves one cynical there will ever be component that meets above criteria. And so most assume giant killers don't exist and never will, all such components delusional conclusions arrived at by those who can't afford better. There has been a number of times during 005 ownership I've procured the funds to purchase much more expensive dac, but the damn 005 always got in the way by sounding so good, and having proved it's potential through previous upgrades. Result is those dac funds always going to other upgrades to try and determine 005 potential!

And contextually, we continue and hope to see future comparisons to much more expensive dacs, 005 seems to be holding it's own thus far. I'll also return to the value equation in that I see 005 as absolutely requiring top notch preamp to partner with. Suddenly, 005 price/value comparison comes more into focus. Still, I assume any dac without analog volume control will have same preamp need, so now I reevaluate price/value comparison yet again!

@sns Yes I use a Plixir 1000W balanced power conditioner for everything except my power amp, which goes directly into the wall.

Yes the Furutech IEC inlets I would certainly consider, even over the Schaffner's but I don't believe Furutech make them with inbuilt fuseholders. That's another reason I bought the Furutech Flow-15 Plus.

It's a shame because the 005 uses a Furutech IEC fused inlet as standard.

I'm glad to hear that you are finally coming to peace with your 005. Believe me there isn't anything significantly better under $20k or more that I know of, and everyone seems to be realising as of late, how much more of everything good pre-amps can extract from the 005.

I also look forward to your report on the Muon if you decide to get one, it certainly looks interesting and maybe better value than an expensive Ethernet cable.

Thanks Charles.

My reasoning for 005 as being suitable for even highest echelon systems comes from the assumption I still haven't reached it's full resolving/transparency capabilities. Until I no longer hear improvements in this will continue with this assumption. So, in order to test this hypothesis I need to continue with upgrades, not going to happen with preamp, amps, speakers, and/or the individual parts and components within them (still experimenting with streaming setup).  I'm at destination here, since pleasure with listening experience unsurpassed and age dictates I don't want to build another system from scratch. More contextually, my present system is pretty high end, pretty well over $100k, which means 005 is already performing very well in high end environment, and likely to continue performing very well in an even higher end environment, at least I'm making that assumption.

So, we come to voicing, resolution/transparency is one issue, I'll presume many dacs perform at very high level here, likely even better with future innovations in digital (until we reach limits of 16/44 which has already far surpassed what people thought possible years ago). Assuming 005 in top hiearchy here, I assess 005 as having perfect voicing for highest end systems, I find it completely neutral, really sort of without voice. It is capable of portraying real live performers in room, I can't believe how many times I've felt the actual presence of these beings in my room, like a concert for one. And it does this with vast, vast majority of recordings I listen to, certainly a heightened sense with the best recordings.

And so, based on my experience 005 capable of bringing the illusion of live performers in room. Assuming this is intent of audiophile system building in general, a higher end system than mine should only heighten these aspects of 005 performance. Now, I'm not implying there aren't dacs with  equal or higher capabilities than 005,  just saying 005 is high end without typical price of what is considered high end. 

There are two things about 005 that will preclude it from being regarded as high end dac, THE PRICE and Chinese origin. Funny how audiophiles perceive value as a negative trait when it comes to audio components. And then the political connotations of Chinese products when in fact their own wherever sourced audio component chock full of Chinese parts.

@sns 

In more general theme, I’ve found over the years, less is often more with audio. When you get the fundamentals right, less of these add on devices needed.”

Very astute observation. This is why I was pretty confident that you’d find the BPT unit enough on its own. It is certainly possible to go overboard at times with regard to High End audio endeavors.

BTW, quite a compelling case you made for the Musetec 005 being suitable for Uber level audio systems. Although obviously there will be disagreement with this. Certainly one could imagine that it’d be reasonably competitive. Good insight as usual.

Charles

@lordmelton I don't recall, but are you using power conditioning? The reason I ask is using multiple ac cleaning devices may have detrimental effect. It may also be possible more than one of these devices daisy chained may have positive effect, BPT provides all the cleaning I need. Paying attention to great whole house ground is likely the most important aspect of clean ac, this I did!

In more general theme, I've found over the years, less is often more with audio. When you get the fundamentals right, less of these add on devices needed.

Back to Furutech filter, first attempt at noise reduction with Furutech devices was IEC receptacle from these guys with filter built in, used this with my former Art Audio Carissa Signature 845SET amp to good effect. Wonder if that guy would fit in side 005?

@sns @boxer12 Thank you both for taking the time out to indulge me and try the Furutech Flux 50 with your 005's.

Obviously a mixed bag also including @steakster 's results. The Flux 50 is really meant for high current or full system applications so I guess it's overkill for a single component.

I'm very happy and pleasantly surprised with the Furutech Flow-15 Plus which is just an EMI filter, I believe, without NCF materials and meant to be used with single components.

I will be swapping it around in the next few weeks to see what results it gives me with my pre-amp and server.

Less Loss make similar devices but much more expensive.

I tried the Flux 50 last night, just completely sucked the life out of music. Flux 50 only on dac, this with often played cd rip.

Based on my negative experiences with three filtering devices over past year (RenoLabs Ultimate switch, generic FMC and Flux 50), I'm reconsidering ramifications of lowered noise floors. Theoretically, the Flux 50 should have lowered my noise floor, but it in fact raised it based on what I lost,  I should have heard more information rather than less. The level of transparency lost was very consequential, made all the difference between real performers in room vs. facsimile. The switch and FMC losses were more in realm of sound stage and imaging losses. Not sure these deficiencies related to colorations, I'm hearing it as actual information loss. Perhaps straight wire effect at work here, losses from the added complexity negates theoretical lower noise floor.

For those who Flux 50 works, presume there is correct amount of noise floor lowering for every system and component, Flux 50 works for me on 845SET. BPT 3.5 Sig. provides optimum for me on everything other than amps, nothing more, nothing less.

Whatever it is, I'm swiftly coming to an end on cleaning up streaming network, already at an end on system ac cleaning. Network Acoustics Muon filter will be last attempt at network cleaning.

Now on to something I've been thinking about posting for some time now, this in relation to 005 ultimate potential. Ever since purchase of 005 nearly three years ago now, I've been on determined path to hear full potential of 005, this through upgrades and mods totally devoted to maximizing resolution and transparency of system. I mostly let voicing take care of itself, if 005 had some major colorations they'd be discovered with greater system resolution and transparency, and I could adjust for minor colorations with incremental changes via resistors, capacitors, different  diy power cable wire. Well, I'm finally at virtual dead end of possible mods and upgrades within present system, and I can hardly believe my complete satisfaction with the level of audio reproduction I'm experiencing!  I really have no need to change a thing, nothing on the 'wish list'.

How all this pertains to 005 is that this level of performance couldn't  have been attained without it. I originally purchased 005 only as audition piece, one more dac in what was assumed to be long line of dac auditions. The 005 came shortly after auditions with 004, Okto DAC8 stereo, Mola Mola Tambaqui or Holo May KTE were to be next in line, and who knows from there. I assumed and was prepared to spend up to $20k on dac. And so, here I am, three years later, and 005 still in system and providing an amazing level of sound quality such that no replacement dac being contemplated.  At this point I'd confidently recommend this dac for any system, including cost no object, could easily be destination dac for many.  $3k may seem too cheap  for some, don't be fooled, match it with best preamp one can afford, you have extreme high end source.

So I tried the Flux 50 with the 005 & yes it certainly does lower the noise floor of the DAC. Problem is... I like the sound of my system better when the Flux 50 is feeding the SS power amp. May have to purchase another one...

@steakster I only purchased the Flux 50 after purchase of Klipschorns, 104db sensitivity and high current transmitter tubes can make a bit of noise. Flux 50 was only filter or power conditioner  I ever tried with both my 845 SET amps that didn't negatively impact transients. The fact you did have issue just goes to show how utterly unique each setup is.  I've not tried daisy chaining it in front of BPT for the very reason I thought it may impact dynamics having to power entire system (exception of amps).

In spite of some negative experiences here, theoretically, a lower noise floor will provide greater resolution, and shouldn't have any downsides. So, unless the device induces some coloration, or device exposes some prior but not yet uncovered system coloration, all should be good.

Post removed 

@sns

Perhaps one can ’clean’ things up too much, could be at some level just a bit of noise can be pleasing vs. the coloration these filters induce. Use of Flux 50 and Muon will provide more evidence in determining this true or not.

Could be some truth with the idea of "excessive" cleaning/filtering. It seems to me that the excellent BPT 3.5 Signature (With its balanced AC isolation transformer and conditioning) is enough. I look forward with much interest and curiosity to your listening outcome.I’ll concede you won’t know for certain without actually hearing the comparison.

Charles

Well, I can't help but have expectation bias with using Flux 50. Not only the damping properties @balja  speaks of, but this will be daisy chaining power conditioning. I already have the BPT 3.5 Sig. isolation transformer, not expecting good things adding the Flux 50. Expecting overly damped, analytical sound quality..

I've been experiencing the above deficiencies with cleansing of ethernet feeding server. I've now tried audiophile switch and generic FMC prior to server, much prefer router powered by lps direct feed to server. Last try will be Network Acoustics Muon.

Perhaps one can 'clean' things up too much, could be at some level just a bit of noise can be pleasing vs. the coloration these filters induce. Use of Flux 50 and Muon will provide more evidence in determining this true or not.

Filters for higher current do not have damping properties like filters with lower current load. I can't comment on other types than the FN9260. Great benefit... and I have not experienced any loss. My filter will be built right into the 005 when the warranty runs out.

@sns The Flux 50 NCF I believe is for a full system or power amps but there would be nothing lost to try it with the 005.

I haven't noticed anything regarding "voicing" altered in any way with the exception that lowering the noise floor is letting more natural detail through by getting out of the way of the noise, so it hasn't created analytical detail in any way.

I'd be very interested to know your results because the Flux 50 is quite expensive.

+1 for the Furutech power "filters". Great product, been using my Flux 50 with the power amp. Will give it a try on the 005 next time I shut the amp down. 

@lordmelton I have Furutech Flux 50 NCF which I use with my 845SET amp, never thought to use with 005. Have a feeling this would only make sound more analytical. Never had a thought 005 needed a lowered noise floor, incredible level of resolution I'm still mining points to pursuing lower noise floor with rest of system pays back with greatest dividend. The one thing I DON'T want to do with 005 is alter it's voicing in ANY way.

Still, it may be informative to try the Flux 50, I have tried a number of power cords, none have changed the voicing to significant degree.

@balja 

Has anyone tried to connect a Schaffner filter (FN9260-1-06) to the power cable for 005? In my system, a big improvement in the image of the stage and I finally hear what the real recording sounds like. It is not expensive and the production of a short reduction is simple. Someone try it to confirm it. By the way, I also replaced the original power cord with a silver "Supra"

I have noticed that both the Bricasti and Weiss DACs use such a device. While I try to stay away from any sort of "purifiers", I recently moved my rig around and I couldn't get my power cable into the 005 because a part of my rack was blocking it.

So I after looking around I tried this which is , I believe, essentially the same as you suggested with the advantage of being able to swap it around. It also comes in three different sizes. I bought the Furutech Flow-15 Plus.

I've found it significantly lowers the noise floor on the 005.

https://www.furutech.com/products/power-distributors-filters/in-line-power-filter-bulk-cables/

I'm also in the silver camp.  All my signal cables are siltech.  My ethernet are AQ vodka and cinnamon, and my usb is cardas clear. 

Some systems don't like silver, I used to get tipped up treble in some past systems. With present setup, love silver, probably half silver, the other half copper. Once you get balance right, silver has a refinement copper can never match, copper can GLARE, silver will never do this, may spotlight the highs, thin the mids and bass a bit. But once you get to a point where a system can use silver, you'll never go back to all copper, I've never experienced such a life like and analog like sound from digital until high content of silver in system and the 005, which by the way has relatively high content of silver.

So, AQ Diamond usb and AQ Vodka ethernet great for me, assume AQ Diamond ethernet would be a step up from the Vodka, at silly money. I've tried various all copper usb and ethernet, all less resolving than silver clad.

I have the Sablon 2020 non powered USB on the way. Currently, the Acoustic BBQ non powered is my preferred cable over the Audioquest Diamond. The Diamond is a bit tipped up in the treble.in my system. I also have a Supra Excalibur on the way for the sake of comparison. I have the Supra Cat 8 + ethernet feeding my Sonictransporter i9 and also the Bluseound Node 2i/ EtherRegen before that. I'll let you know my experience once I have time with all of the cables.

@rrboogie
Just a reminder about the USB in the Musetec, in that it doesn’t use the 5 volts from the USB cable. I mention this because most of the Sablon 2020 USB cables shown have a double cable configuration keeping the 5 volt, line one, wire separate from the digital lines. When used with the Musetec nothing flows through line one making the second cable unnecessary.

@rrboogie @sns Thanks for your recommendation for the Coincident Staement Line Stage. It is one that is on my shortlist

@sns is correct with regard to the Coincident Statement line stage. It is in my opinion a truly superb sounding component. One of the most genuinely natural sounding audio components I’ve heard. I hope that you find an opportunity to hear it for yourself.

Charles

I experimented with the Topping Pre90. I found volume problems when I used it with my McIntosh 152 preamp using the higher voltage balanced inputs. The loudness problem was solved when I switched to the lower voltage RCA inputs. Ultimately I preferred my Hegel preamp. The Topping sounded too thin with many recordings. The pre90’s transparency was impressive, but after much listening I preferred the texture provided by the Hegel.  I only used it with two McIntosh power amps (MC152 and MC402) and got the same results with both.

The difference between the pe90 and LA4 are not that great when the pre90 works as intended. The following reviewer put them head-to-head.

Topping Pre90 + Ext90 Review - Pre-amp my Power-amp! (soundnews.net)

For me, I hated the fact that the pre90 worked well with only 2 of the amps I tried and was unusable for me with 4 or 5 others. It was a volume issue. The LA4 works with any amp and there are more needed features and robustness to the implementation and feel. I really wanted to like the pre90, but it failed. 

If you like a bit of warmth, I highly recommend the CODA 07x. It is not as quiet as the pre90 or LA4 but not that far off. It has a tube-like sound that would appeal to more people. I gravitate more towards the LA4.

The Musetec 005 with the 07x works well but if your amp is warm and the speakers are warm then it maybe too much of a good thing. In such a situation I would change out one of the components to tone that warmth down. 

I say this because the 005 was the only SS DAC that worked with my RAAL SR1a headphones when used with a 2-channel amp. It was also the best DAC by a mile for such a use case. The SR1a is extremely revealing and a bit bright. In comparison, my Benchmark DAC3B was a no go with the SR1a and 2-channel amp, too bright.

@sns  Thanks for your recommendation for the Coincident Staement Line Stage. It is one that is on my shortlist. I am going to take my Freya+ to a friends place who has a Supratek Cabernet which is also on my list.

@melm yes, I agree that USB cables matter. I can easily hear the differences in them. I have a Sablon 2020 on the way to compare to the Audioquest Diamond and Acoustic BBQ

@yyzsantabarbara  One of my main criteria in a preamp is the noise floor as My Altec A7 speakers are over 100db efficient. The PRE has the lowest noise floor that I have used so far. Incredible actually. Better than the Freya+  in all modes, better than Modwright LS 36.5 which I had prior to the Freya + The Benchmark LA4 is on my shortlist as well. What are the differences to the PRE 90 and LA4 to your ears?

@small-green-computer Thank you for your recommendation. I'll take it into consideration and thanks for the great products and services over the years!

We tested dozens of USB cables with the opticalRendu (and the entire Sonore Rendu series).  We really liked the IN-AKUSTIK Reference USB 2.0 cable.  That is why it is the only USB cable we carry.  Of course, when we are down to swapping out high end USB cables, it's about personal preference.  Just our two cents for what it's worth.  

I have had the Freya+, Pre90, Coda 07x and Benchmark LA4. My fav is the LA4 though the 07x has dual XLR outputs and I use one of those to my sub. The CODA preamp sounded the best with the sub. It maybe a gain thing with XLR.

The pre90 does not work well with all amps but when it does, such as with a Benchmark AHB2 or Parasound A21+, it is not a value unit. It is an excellent unit.

I though the Freya+ was good for the money.

I use the 07x and the LA4 with the Musetec 005 and both are exceptional (but different). The 07x is great with my sub.

@melm 

The moral of this story is that to hear it at its best you cannot match the Musetec with components appropriate to only a $3000 DAC. In this I agree with @sns . In your place I might consider selling all your pre- stuff and getting something better. But I’m not there and have not heard it all as you have.

This advice from you and @sns rings true. I believe that if you want to exploit all that a high quality DAC has to offer, you need a top flight quality line stage. I do not believe you can dance around this point. No doubt the Freya , Saga and Topping represent “good value “ and are less expensive. I just don’t feel that you will utilize the full sonic potential using them in place of higher  tier line stage options.

Charles

@rrboogie
Not a good idea to use one set of interconnects from DAC to sub-woofer and another to preamp. One set to preamp and two sets out from preamp to amp and sub-woofer, even if you have to use Y-splitters. That way your preamp volume control will control all. Otherwise a mess with control of volume.

I have used three different preamps with my 004 and 005. The Freya+ was my middle pre and is very good for the price. The emphasis is on: for the price. I used it with NOS Chrome Domes. Having tubes somewhere in the system when you are running a solid stage DAC (which is to say, most of them) is great. The Freya+ easily beat out a very good SS preamp. I found, though, that I couldn’t live without a balance control and for this and other reasons went to a much more expensive tubed preamp. It’s all much, much better. The moral of this story is that to hear it at its best you cannot match the Musetec with components appropriate to only a $3000 DAC. In this I agree with @sns . In your place I might consider selling all your pre- stuff and getting something better. But I’m not there and have not heard it all as you have.

As for USB cables. They really do matter and IMO are very system specific. I say first settle on your preamp. AQ Diamond works for a lot of people including @sns. It did not work for me as I wrote earlier. Nor did a custom silver core cable that did fine with the 004. AQ Pearl at 5% of the Diamond price works better here. But it did lose a bit of sparkle/openness that should be there. A change in the interconnect between DAC and preamp is proving just right along with the Pearl. I’ll write about that cable in a bit. So my advice: try interconnect and USB cable. Buy cheap or buy where you can return.

@rrboogie I'm biased in that I believe the preamp should be considered as  package with sources, ie. as important as the source itself. 005 potential such that it could benefit from cost no object pre's, I've used 005 straight thru, no pre, with Musical Fidelity M2si integrated, Schitt Saga + and my usual Coincident Statement. Each has pretty large impact on sound, Statement easily surpasses the others. I did prefer tube buffer with Saga +, my go to preference would likely always be tube pre with 005, what with it's neutral to slightly analytical inherent nature.  And my take is spend at least as much on pre as 005 itself, will pay off handsomely.

On usb cable front, tried many prior to AQ Diamond, after, figured why bother, high resolving, transparent, nice tonal qualities, whats not to like! If you have problems, its not the Diamond.

Leave in standby, no sense in putting hours on components with limited life spans.

I have no idea about running XLS and rca outs together, I did try using both outs on prior Auralic Vega, resulted in diminished  sound quality. Makes sense that even if possible, could result in diminished sound quality, analog output stage doing more work.

I want to use both the XLR out to my dual subwoofers and the RCA out to my preamp. Is there any reason that I should not do this? I have read that some Dacs do not recommend running both simultaneously.

Also, should I put the 005 in Standby when not in use?

I have been trying different preamp combinations to find a synergy with my system. The Schiit Freya + has sounded excellent. Low noise floor and different presentations between Solid State and Tube Buffer. I also have tried the Topping PRE90 which has a lower noise floor and punchier mid bass but vocals had a slight glare. I added a Jolida SSX Soundstage Expander (tube buffer) in front of the Topping PRE90 and it added weight, harmonics, width and depth to the soundstage which I prefer to the PRE90 by itself.

I am also trying different USB cables from the OpticalRendu to the 005. The Audioquest Diamond has a little more detail than the Acoustic BBQ USB cable. I am going to try the Sablon 2020 and FTA Callisto. Any other recommendations for USB cables would be appreciated.

@sns I wrrote a blurb last night identifying my Benchmark DAC3B as the cause of my streaming gremlins. After a few hours of listening and unplugging and plugging in devices I came to the conclusion that my Benchmark DAC3B is working perfectly. It a very robust unit and I was surprised I initially though it was broken. I deleted the post above.

I was also praising the addition of the OpticalModule in front of the OpticalRendu. When it was working it was rgeat. It really improved the streaming sonics. I had been going direct from my network switch since I was suspicious about the OpticalModule’s health te past few weeks. It is likely on it’s last legs since it failed after a few hours. It may work again this morning.

I replaced the OpticalModule with a EtherRegen that was idle in my now dismantled Livingroom system. Again, more sonic improvement in the streaming. The sonic picture is cleaner and more clear. I think the EtherRegen sounded even better than the OpticalModule, but my OM is defective.

I was never impressed using the ER from A > B (standard way). I am doing B > A and it is a better use of the ER. I was planning on selling the ER last year, but I tried B > A before putting it for sale and the ER in front of the OpticalRendu was a winner. I am also using the cheap power supply that came with the ER.

Let’s us know how the Muon works out. At this time the plan for me is to get another ER once my Livingroom system is rebuilt.

I removed the DSP from all my ROON endpoints again. Seems perfect so far.

@yyzsantabarbara  So I spoke with Andrew at SGC, states they continually receive promises of parts delivery, never delivered, so in process of redesigning OR and OM, who knows when these become available again. These supply chain issues are crazy these days! Think I'm going to go ahead and order Network Acoustics Muon ethernet filter in coming days, at least I can continue to experiment in front of server. I'll have to continue using generic FMC with OR post server.

As for Roon I prefer absolutely no dsp of any kind, no volume leveling, no track analysis, all Roon functions kept at absolute minimum sounds best in my setup.  I've thought about experimenting with HQPlayer, it gets far higher marks than Roon for dsp.

Post removed 

Thanks for the ROON feedback. My issue could be related to the Benchmark DAC3B and the "inter-sample overs" thing they support. The thought of that was what made try to adjust the ROON headroom management in the first place. Though last month everything was working fine on the DAC3B without the adjustment.

When I get my Musetec 005 back, I may have to use a second OpticalRendu dedicated just to the 005. The other option would be to use the single OpticalRendu, and just switch the USB between DACs (easy for me to do). I would need to create a new ROON DSP filter that does nothing and name it "Musetec" and the existing one "Benchmark". That is a pain because one tends to forget to change the filter to the correct setting.

I went crazy into these ROON settings last year with 3 DACs and 2 DSP Convolution filters all setup at the same time. It got complicated.

@yyzsantabarbara - Roon has been running well for me with the 005. Took a bit to get it set up with the ifi streamer via USB to the 005, but it's been stable & sounding good since then. 

@yyzsantabarbara Hmm, wonder if due to inability to acquire chips or coming out with new iteration of same function?  Doubt it was due to lack of sales, see many in use. I'll contact Andrew and see what's up. Still waiting on my OpticalModule, hope order doesn't get cancelled.

The famous ROON fly by on the tunes was something that has happened to me a few times, Usually, when I was setting up a new install. I forgot the reasons why it happened in the past.

BTW - I went to the Sonore web site to check out a new LPS for my OpticalModule (old one runs too hot). I noticed that the OpticalRendu is now DSCOUNTINUED.

Sonore - Home

@rrboogie 

Thanks for the post.  What has kept it going are messages of satisfaction like your own.

Roon can be strange at times, especially with complex network. I had issue some weeks ago after a Roon upgrade, library looked normal, would start streams from both Tidal, Qobuz, and rips on NAS in normal manner, but then go though all tracks within seconds, no sound output. I couldn't locate to any one thing, just did reboots on everything, problem solved.  Reboots always go to solution for streaming or network issues IME.

Can't recall my exact settings with Roon, but I disable everything possible, less processing equals better sound quality.

I am without my Musetec 005 for the past few weeks and likely for a few more weeks. I lent it out to someone.

I ran into some really messed up streaming issues on ROON the past week with my Benchmark DAC3B. I was getting some smearing of the sound. This was with TIDAL, Qobuz, and my FLAC library. Anyways, I solved it by enabling the following on ROON (all other DSP is removed)

• - Headroom Management
  • - Sample Rate Conversion

I am not sure if I needed both but the sound is correct now so that is good enough for me.

Did anyone need to do this with the Musetec or notice any degradation of the ROON streaming? There are new versions of ROON that I automatically install, so I am wondering if that was the culprit.

I also removed my Sonore OpticalModule from the streaming chain thinking that was the culprit. I now think it was not at fault and need to put it back in. Current streaming is fibre optical direct from a network switch to my OpricalRendu.

I also have some suspicion on Qobuz. I have signed out of that service for now and need to test further.