McIntosh MA9000 temperature in standby

Hello,

My system consists of McIntosh MA9000 with DA2 DAC, McIntosh MT10, Burmester BA31 and IFI Zen Streamer.

I noticed that the temperature of the integrated amplifier (heatsink) is about 102°F (39°C) at a room temperature of 79°F (26°C).

I performed the following test by increasing the volume in 3 steps:

1. 30% volume for 15 minutes: heatsink temperature -106°F (41°C)

2. 50% volume for 15 minutes: heatsink temperature -117°F (47°C)

3. 70% volume for about 15 minutes: heatsink temperature -145°F (62.7°C) - the power was cut off

I would like to know if 55°F (13°C) on top of the room temperature is normal for McIntosh amplifiers in standby. 

Thank you in advance for your support

constantin1970

After power cut off now the heatsink is at room temperature when the amplifier is in standby. Why the temperature was higher before I don't understand.

Why don’t you call McIntosh instead of asking people that really do not know?

I have the MA8900 and it runs very cool, even at high volumes (say 40 on the volume knob). Agree with the poster up thread that I would contact McIntosh directly as those temps seem high. 

I don't recall my MC302 ever being not room temperature when in standby and much props for listening at 70%!

"standby" and "idle" are two different things!

In "standby", all the circuits in the integrated amplifier are shout-off except drawing small current to provide power to lite up the "standby" LED and maybe some control circuit. Therefore the heatsink should be at room temperature.

At "idle", all the circuits (DAC, preamp section, power amp section, control circuits) in the integrated amp are on, only there's no source signals input. The class AB power amp section will run at its class A bias. Hence the heatsink temperature is higher than ambient temperature.

Thank you for your reply. The integrated amplifier was in standby when the temperature was about 102°. I contacted McIntosh and I was told to send it to service if temperature increases again while in standby.