KT150s in a Preamp Design?

I'm a bit of a shade tree tube amp mechanic;  I'm no expert and have a decent but not comprehensive knowledge of design.  Can someone tell me what's going on with this tube preamplifier design?  I've never seen KT150s in a preamplifier!

http://www.thebestamp.com/Tube_Pre-Amps/Reference_Series/Reference-3.php

Calling Atmasphere!  
128x128jbhiller
You can use big power tubes in a pre-amp. Remember a preamp is just a low power control amplifier. It's a bit of overkill because a preamp doesn't need to make the kind of power a large power tube can produce. No idea on the sound quality though. 
Yes you can, in power supplies, ARC for example is using 6550 in some of their Ref line. So why not a KT150.
Got it.  That makes sense.  I'm wondering what the sonic benefit would be.  Seems that 6SN7 would be big enough.  A KT150? My lord!
My phono preamp uses 7581A 35w power tubes in the power supply. The big supply gives more depth, space and air to the soundstage.
I have a preamp with a separate power supply made by the company you posted the link to.  Noromance is right, my power supply can use two 866a Mercury tubes it made a big difference from the stock 274b tube that came in the preamp. The bigger tubes also make a big difference in the amplification stage in the same way, even in a preamp. The guy who builds these has excellent feedback on cunuck audio mart.
Hey Noromance, what is the make/model of that phono stage?  Sounds interesting. 
What's really crazy about that preamp is the number of tube types it can take!

KT150 (can also use VT52 / CV1052 / 6G6 / 6V6 / 6K6 / 6Y6 / 6F6 / 6L6 / 6550 / KT66 / KT77 / KT88 / KT99 / KT100 / EL34 / 5881 / 6CA7...etc direct plug-n-play ), which give superb dynamics sound with extremely good bass control . Rectifier tube use 3B22 (can also use 1616 / 866A / 836 / 3B27 / 3B28 / 2A3 / 300B / 572B ..... with 4 pin to 8 pin converter can also use 5U4G / 5AR4 / 5R4 / 53KU / GZ37 ...etc,
I've used 3b22/1616/3b28/866a in my space tech labs rectifier. They all sound different, the 3b22 has great instrument separation but sounds a little harsh like solid state, the 866a and 1616 sound the best smooth detailed dynamic sound with a big soundstage.
Hey I'm interested, and more so if you actually try it and compare KT150s to 6SN7s in a preamp.  I run four 6SN7s in my preamp and four KT150s in my mono amps. 

Have wondered who's actually tapped the real potential and ceiling limit of a KT150 tube in different ways. Let us know if you do.   
I believe you can use EL32 tubes in that particular preamp as well as kt150.
I been looking at their tube EQ for a while. I like tone control and that EQ with a balanced passive pre, Tape and LP playback heaven. I like the options too. It has a bypass and can loop right in with phono/tape preamp.

Gives a balanced option for a Reel to Reel,  XLR to record..

4-6k for a Manley.

These guys Under 2k, I just wonder about crosstalk? Balanced though.

They have good reviews on their passive with remote too..

What's their lead times? Anyone know?

I like um...

Regards